Image via Flickr by digitizedchaos
If you’re a resident of Mobile, Alabama, or are considering relocating there, getting your auto insurance set up is an important step. You can find some great policies you can choose from, but you have to know where and how to look. Learning about what’s out there can help you feel confident on the road and protect your health and finances in the event of an accident. Use these tips to find car insurance in Mobile, Alabama, that suits your unique preferences and budget.
Insurance Costs and Requirements in Mobile, Alabama
Learning about car insurance requirements in Mobile, Alabama, can help you to evade misdemeanors. Driving without coverage anywhere in the state can get you fined. Here are the pitfalls of refusing to invest in insurance:
- Alabama can charge an uninsured driver $500-$1,000.
- Your driving license and registration can be suspended for up to 180 days.
- You could spend three to six months in jail.
In Mobile, state laws regulate mandatory car insurance requirements. All drivers are expected to carry liability insurance. Other insurance types, such as collision, comprehensive, medical, and uninsured are optional. Compared to many other states, Alabama expects policyholders to have more coverage for the property damage of others impacted by at-fault accidents. Here are the requirements for liability coverage:
- A driver must have liability coverage with a $25,000 limit for personal injury per person.
- A driver must have liability coverage with a $50,000 limit for personal injury per accident.
- A driver must have liability coverage with a $25,000 limit for property damage per accident.
Largely due to Mobile’s small population, rates in this city are relatively low compared to other cities in the state. A full-coverage policy in Mobile is likely to cost approximately $1,338 per year, according to Car & Driver.
Car Insurance Policy Options in Mobile, Alabama
There are many different types of car insurance you can get in Mobile, Alabama. Here are the main options:
- Liability: This type of policy covers the costs incurred by other people who have sustained personal injuries or property damage as a result of an accident caused by the policyholder.
- Comprehensive: In the event that your vehicle is damaged by natural disasters, theft, or other rare events, comprehensive coverage will pay for your repair bills.
- Collision: This policy covers the cost of your vehicle repairs in situations where your car collides with another car or a stationary object.
- MedPay: This key coverage type will pay the policyholder’s medical bills. The insurance claim is settled regardless of whether the policyholder was at fault.
What Are the Best Car Insurance Companies in Mobile?
Here are the top car insurance providers in Mobile, Alabama:
On average, this insurer provides the cheapest car insurance in the entire state of Alabama, including Mobile. It offers relatively low rates when adding a teen to a policy. Low rates are also offered for senior drivers. Discounts are offered for good students and students away at school, making it a great choice for young drivers.
While Allstate rates are usually higher than that of other insurers, this company offers many coverage options and discounts. Disappearing deductibles and accident forgiveness are some of the add-on coverages offered. Also, several great discounts are offered for safe drivers, such as X the TXT and Drivewise. You also have the option of bundling your car insurance with life and home coverages or using Milewise, which is a pay-per-mile program.
Nationwide is a reliable insurer with a reputation for providing customer satisfaction. In addition to the standard insurance types (liability, collision, comprehensive, and MedPay), policyholders can benefit from add-on coverages like vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness, and new car replacements. For low-mileage drivers, Nationwide offers its SmartMiles program, a pay-per-mile setup that can lead to lower insurance rates for drivers who don’t put as many miles on their car.
Known for its stellar customer service and low customer complaints, Geico offers several policy options in Mobile. Discounts include military, multi-vehicle, new-vehicle, multi-policy, defensive driving, good student, anti-theft system, and accident-free discounts.
How To Find Car Insurance in Mobile, Alabama
Here are a few handy steps you can use to find the best car insurance in Mobile:
1. Research Mobile insurers
Learn about the different companies that supply insurance packages. Use the following tips:
- Do an internet search for insurance companies in Mobile.
- Ask your friends about their experience with Mobile insurance.
- Talk to insurance agents to get the information you need.
2. Decide on the policy you want
There are several packages you can choose from, such as full coverage, minimum coverage, and MedPay. Identify your insurance needs and state requirements, then find a policy that covers them. Typically, it’s best to enhance your mandatory liability coverage with MedPay, comprehensive, and collision coverage.
3. Find out if you can get a discount
Insurance companies in Mobile offer several discounts to policyholders. You can reduce your insurance costs by finding discounts and applying for them. For example, people with good driving records, military members, and married people can often get their policies discounted.
4. Select your policy
After sifting through the options, decide on the car insurance policy that suits you best. Make sure to choose a dependable provider and a robust policy. When making a policy selection, keep in mind that spending a little more can often result in a lot more coverage. For example, paying less than $10 more for personal injury per person under a liability insurance policy can get you up to $80,000 more in coverage.
Alabama’s “Azalea City” has several mandatory requirements and coverage options in relation to car insurance. As you use what you have learned during your search for an insurance package, don’t hesitate to take your time. Investing in adequate research on insurers, policies, and discounts will be worth it in the long term. Get ready to find the best car insurance in Mobile, Alabama!
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.