Insurance is one of those must-have items, but you don’t have to settle for a mediocre insurance company. As one of the top-rated and largest insurance agencies, Allstate stands out from the competition with plenty of discounts and coverage options. In addition, Allstate has a rich history of providing exceptional customer service and writing insurance policies for auto, home, and life. Let’s look at Allstate’s history and what you need to know about Allstate car insurance.
A Rich Company History
Allstate has been writing insurance policies for 91 years since being founded in 1931 by General Robert E. Wood. Allstate has one of the most memorable slogans of any company today: “You’re in good hands.” This slogan wasn’t created until 1950, nearly 20 years after Allstate was formed, but it has been on the tips of people’s tongues ever since.
With nearly a century of growth under its belt, Allstate is the fourth-largest auto insurance company as of April 2022, writing 10% of automotive policies, according to ValuePenguin. With over 12,000 agents spread throughout the United States, it’s no wonder why Allstate continues to serve millions of Americans with competitive rates and innovative insurance programs. In addition, with so many agents across the United States, customers that prefer doing business in person can find a local agent with ease.
What Is Car Insurance?
Image via Flickr by investmentzen
Car insurance is a contract between you and your auto insurance company that requires you to pay the insurance company a premium. In return for the insurance premium you pay, the insurance company must pay for covered costs related to automotive accidents after contractual deductibles have been met according to your auto insurance policy terms. There are a few common types of car insurance you will need to understand before purchasing an auto insurance policy:
Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability
This type of insurance coverage is typically required and covers accidents that you cause. The costs for injuries, deaths, or property damage are covered by this insurance coverage when you are at fault.
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage
This type of insurance coverage is for when you are in an accident with a driver that is uninsured or doesn’t have enough insurance coverage and is often required. Having such a policy will help cover the costs of medical or property damage after an accident that’s not your fault when the other driver’s insurance is insufficient.
Collision coverage may be required by an automotive loan or lease and covers the repair costs of traffic-related accidents, no matter who’s at fault. This insurance coverage ensures that your vehicle is repaired back to factory standards after an accident.
For all events outside of your control, comprehensive coverage takes care of the repair costs. Such circumstances include but are not limited to hitting an animal while driving, vandalism, weather-related damage, and theft. In addition, this type of insurance coverage may be required by a car loan or lease.
You may not be required to have all of these types of insurance, but it’s a good idea to consider having full insurance coverage on your vehicles. Full insurance coverage is not just one specific policy, but a combination of the above coverages.
Allstate Car Insurance
Allstate car insurance offers the common types of auto insurance, including liability, collision, and comprehensive. It also offers optional features which are available for additional costs. Several deciding factors, including the age of your vehicle, whether you have an auto loan or are leasing, and your state auto insurance requirements, will affect your ability to choose the types of car insurance you must have. Once you have met your insurance requirements, you may choose to add on some of these optional features offered through Allstate car insurance:
- Accident forgiveness: With Allstate accident forgiveness, your car insurance rates won’t go up due to one accident. This applies even when you are at fault.
- Safe driving bonus: You qualify for money-back rewards for every six months of accident-free driving with Allstate.
- Deductible rewards: Every year you have no driving violations, you can earn $100 off your collision deductible. You can earn up to $500 off. Allstate will take off the first $100 after you sign up.
- New car replacement: If you have an accident that totals your new car and the accident occurs within your vehicle’s first two model years, Allstate will give you a check for the total value of a new car.
- Roadside assistance: Allstate offers roadside assistance in three ways. The first is a pay-per-use. The second is as an add-on to your car insurance policies. The third is included in Allstate’s Motor Club, a subscription service comparable to AAA.
- Ride-share insurance: This additional Allstate car insurance coverage is built into your regular auto insurance policy and provides additional coverages for customers who drive for ride-hailing companies such as Lyft and Uber.
- Custom equipment coverage: Many people add aftermarket parts and equipment to their vehicles. Custom equipment coverage from Allstate pays to replace this equipment if they’re damaged or stolen.
Two additional features that you can get with Allstate car insurance for no extra cost are:
- Car-buying service: Allstate’s car-buying service allows you to compare and shop used and new vehicles. It also provides upfront and competitive price offers on cars in stock at local certified dealers.
- Claim satisfaction guarantee: In states where it is available, Allstate will issue a credit of up to six months on your insurance premium if you are unsatisfied with how a claim is handled.
Allstate Car Insurance Discounts
Car insurance discounts provide you with many ways to save, and Allstate has quite a few:
- New car discount
- Good student discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Anti-lock brakes discount
- Early signing bonus for policies signed at least seven days before the policy takes effect
- Anti-theft device discount
- No cancellation notices for nonpayments in the past year
- Paperless billing discount
- Automatic withdrawal discount
- Safe driving discount
- Upfront payment discount
Allstate offers all the auto insurance coverages you need and many more value-based options and discounts. You can find local Allstate agents across the United States and take advantage of available features to help save you money on auto insurance. Allstate car insurance is worth looking at when you need insurance on a vehicle.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.