If you’re looking to purchase insurance for your automobile or home, you’ll want to get quotes from several insurance companies to compare rates. This comparison will help you get the best value for your money. The difference between companies for the same driver, vehicle, location, and coverage can vary by hundreds of dollars. One of the insurance companies you may want to get a quote from is Allstate. Allstate has been around since 1931 and is one of the largest insurance companies in the United States, with more than 16 million customers. So, is Allstate a good insurance company?
Allstate Automobile Coverage
Image via Flickr by JeepersMedia
Allstate offers a wide variety of insurance options for your automobile needs. The types of coverage include:
- Liability coverage. Most, if not all, states require bodily injury and property damage liability coverage to protect other drivers and their property when you’re at fault in an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage. This coverage protects your vehicle against theft, vandalism, and natural disasters by paying for repairs or replacements up to your vehicle’s value, minus a deductible.
- Collision coverage. If you’re involved in an accident with another vehicle or object, such as a fence, collision coverage will pay for the repairs or replacements up to your vehicle’s value after you meet the deductible.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. These cover you when another driver is at fault but doesn’t have any insurance or adequate coverage to pay for all your expenses.
- Medical payments coverage. If you or your passengers are hurt in an accident, medical payments coverage will pay for medical expenses.
- Custom equipment coverage. This insurance covers any after-market upgrades you’ve made to your vehicle if they’re lost or stolen.
- Roadside coverage. You can cover standard roadside services, such as providing gas, jump-starting your vehicle, or changing a tire, with this insurance.
- Personal injury protection. PIP can cover injuries sustained in a covered accident.
- Personal umbrella policy. This coverage goes above and beyond your auto policy’s liability limits.
- Rental reimbursement coverage. If your vehicle is in the shop due to a collision or other insured loss, this coverage will pay for the expense of renting a vehicle.
- Rideshare insurance. When you use your vehicle for rideshare services, this coverage will fill in any gaps in your coverage.
In addition to these coverages, Allstate offers Drivewise, which provides personalized feedback on your driving experience, including speeding or hard braking instances. It pays you rewards for good driving performance.
Other Types of Insurance Through Allstate
Allstate offers a lot more than just automobile insurance coverage, including:
Standard types of homeowner’s insurance include dwelling, personal property, liability, and guest medical protection coverages. These protect your physical home, the belongings inside your home, any injuries or damages that occur on your property, and the medical expenses of anyone hurt in your home. Allstate offers optional insurance coverage, including:
- Personal injury umbrella. The personal injury umbrella policy provides additional coverage on large liability claims.
- HostAdvantage. If you decide to home-share, this insurance will cover your belongings.
- Manufactured/mobile home insurance. This coverage protects your manufactured or mobile home.
- Flood insurance. You can purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program with help from an Allstate agent.
When you rent a house, apartment, or room from someone else, their homeowner’s insurance only covers their physical property and any of their belongings. You need to purchase renter’s insurance to protect your personal belongings. Depending on your policy, renter’s insurance may also cover guest medical protection, family liability coverage, and additional living expenses.
A condo or condominium is much like an apartment, except you own it, which creates a unique insurance situation. Allstate condo insurance can protect you from theft, vandalism, fire, smoke, and accidental or sudden water damage caused by an appliance or plumbing system. Condo insurance can protect your condo unit, your belongings, and you.
Small business owners can turn to Allstate for coverage against theft, vandalism, lightning, fire, smoke, falling objects, sprinkler leakage, windstorm, and hail. You can also get protection from explosions or vehicles crashing into your business. Allstate can also provide commercial auto protection if you use a commercial vehicle with your business.
Like an automobile policy, Allstate can offer you coverage when you ride your motorcycle. The same options as your auto policy are available, including comprehensive, collision, uninsured/underinsured, and liability coverage. This type of insurance protects your bike, trike, or scooter.
Allstate offers several types of life insurance to protect the financial future of your loved ones. These include term life, universal life, whole life, and variable universal life insurance.
What Discounts Does Allstate Offer?
You can receive discounts for bundling services, such as homeowner’s and automobile or renter’s and automobile. The more services you bundle with Allstate, the bigger the discount you’ll receive. Allstate also has the following discounts available:
- Drivewise: up to 15%
- New car: up to 15%
- Early signing: up to 10%
- Safe driving: varies
Is Allstate a Good Insurance Company?
According to WalletHub, Allstate is a very good insurance company, including one of the best when it comes to automobile insurance. WalletHub editors rated Allstate 3.2 out of 5, which matched the average rating among users. Allstate has an A+ rating through the Better Business Bureau. WalletHub used six driver profiles to obtain sample quotes to understand the costs of Allstate insurance.
U.S. News & World Report rates Allstate’s homeowner’s insurance 3.8 out of 5, ranking fourth (tied) in their best homeowner’s insurance company of 2022 rating. They also ranked Allstate automobile insurance at 3.7 out of 5 because Allstate’s average premium rates tend to be higher than the national average.
Is Allstate a good insurance company for your insurance needs? There’s no one answer to this question. If you’re purchasing automobile insurance, your driving history, age, location, credit score, vehicle type, and more can affect your premium. For homeowners, insurance companies will consider your property value, credit history, home security features, deductible, home’s age, and more when deciding your rates. These factors make insurance policies and premiums extremely individualized, so Allstate may or may not be a good match for you.
To determine whether Allstate is a good insurance company for you, you’ll want to gather several quotes for insurance coverage from various insurance providers. This comparison will provide you with the best price for your insurance needs.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.