If you’re thinking of purchasing a car in Los Angeles, California, you may want to first explore the average car insurance costs in this city. There are various factors that go into determining a person’s auto insurance premium, with some of these being age, marital status, and driving record. Understanding these factors and knowing the average insurance rates can help you better make a decision when it comes to choosing an insurance plan that’s best for you. If the cost of car insurance is ruining your finances, we recommend reading our guide on how to get affordable full coverage car insurance.
In this article, we look at the average car insurance cost in Los Angeles based on the insurance company, zip code, and age and how to save money on your plan.
Average Car Insurance Cost in Los Angeles by Insurance Provider
The company you choose to get your car insurance through can impact how much you end up paying on a monthly or annual basis. Some insurance companies offer lower insurance premiums than others, and being aware of this can help you during your search. Here are several companies with their accompanying average annual rates:
- Esurance: $1,881
- USAA: $1,920
- Wawanesa: $2,064
- CIG: $2,077
- Geico: $2,191
- Infinity: $2,220
- 21st Century: $2,443
- Mercury: $2,535
- Grange Insurance Association: $2,579
Average Car Insurance Cost in Los Angeles by Age
Age is another component of determining insurance premiums. In general, younger people pay more for auto insurance than older individuals. Statista depicts the average auto insurance expenditure in the United States by age in 2021. Here are age ranges and their accompanying annual insurance rates in Los Angeles:
- Teenagers: $9,767
- Adults in their 20s: $3,905
- Adults in their 30s: $2,559
- Adults in their 40s: $2,476
- Adults in their 50s: $2,364
- Adults in their 60s: $2,358
- Adults in their 70s: $2,747
Average Car Insurance Payment in Los Angeles by Gender and Marital Status
Gender and marital status also play a role in how much you may pay for a car insurance premium. According to a study by Statista, young men face significantly higher automotive insurance costs in the United States than young women.
The following are the average annual insurance costs in Los Angeles for these categories:
- Female: $2,637
- Male: $2,632
- Single: $2,517
- Married: $2,517
- Divorced: $2,632
- Widowed: $2,555
Average Car Insurance Rate in Los Angeles by ZIP Code
Where you live geographically in Los Angeles can also influence your car insurance cost. Here are a few ZIP codes and their varying average costs of auto insurance:
- 90003: $2,626
- 90007: $2,746
- 90024: $2,807
- 90035: $2,821
- 90058: $2,494
- 90071: $2,600
- 90079: $2,703
- 90012: $2,800
- 90017: $2,835
- 90026: $2,580
- 90036: $2,806
Other Factors That Affect Car Insurance Costs in Los Angeles
In addition to marital status, age, gender, location, and insurance company, there are several other factors that can affect the cost you pay for car insurance in Los Angeles. Check out this article to learn more about how various factors affect coverage rates and how to account for them.
Some of the most important factors include:
- Driving record: Insurance companies often place an emphasis on your driving record when determining whether to cover you. If you have a history of DUIs or DWIs or driving citations, you may pay a higher price than those who have a clean record.
- Credit score: Your credit score is another component analyzed by insurance providers. In general, the better the credit score you have, the more likely you are to pay less for auto insurance.
- Driving experience: Many auto insurance companies want to insure drivers who have extensive experience driving. Those who don’t have a lot of driving experience, such as teen drivers, often have a higher insurance premium than those with more experience. Read this article to learn which vehicles are less expensive to insure for teen drivers.
- Insurance history: Whether you’ve had car insurance in the past and a continuous insurance history can also influence your premium rate. If you have a history of continuous coverage, you may pay less compared to those who have a history of more spotty auto coverage.
- Mileage: How much you drive annually is another major factor that can impact your premium, especially in California. The less you drive your vehicle, the lower your insurance payments are likely to be. This is because accident rates are typically lower for those who don’t drive as often, as their less likely to be involved in a car crash.
- The type of vehicle you have: The car you have can also play a role in your coverage costs. For example, premiums for brand-new sports cars may be much higher than those for older vehicles or safe vehicles.
- Discounts: The type of discounts you’re eligible for will depend on your location and the insurance provider you use. These discounts can help bring down your insurance cost significantly. Examples of discounts you may be eligible for include anti-theft device discounts, bundling policy discounts, good-driver discounts, low-mileage discounts, military discounts, and green-vehicle discounts.
How To Save on Car Insurance Costs in Los Angeles
There are a few key ways you can save money on your overall car insurance premium. One way is to take your time and shop around with different insurance providers. Each insurance company will offer a different rate, with some of them being exceptionally high and some being lower. It’s important to ensure this cost takes into account all of the coverages you’ll include, such as liability coverage, in your premium.
Another way to save is to look for insurance companies that offer discounts, such as the discounts mentioned above. Even one or two discounts can help you save money on your premium. For example, USAA offers excellent insurance coverage programs for those who are active and retired military members.
When deciding whether to purchase a car in Los Angeles, it’s first important to know the average car insurance costs and the factors associated with these costs. To learn more about insurance coverage in this area, you can speak to an insurance representative or a dealership.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.