While California is one of the more expensive states to in which to insure a car, there are still many ways to find cheap insurance coverage if you live in the Golden State. Understanding more about different annual coverage rates can help you determine which company can provide you with a competitive price and quality coverage. Keep on reading to learn more about cheap car insurance options for both full and minimum liability coverage in San Diego.
Minimum Required Insurance in San Diego
Similar to other California cities, San Diego accepts several types of insurance for vehicles using public roads. The primarily used insurance is through a motor vehicle liability insurance policy from a company licensed to offer insurance in California. Other accepted insurance types include a cash deposit of $35,000 with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), a DMV-issued self-insurance certificate, or a surety bond for $35,000 from a company licensed to do business in California.
If you opt for a more traditional liability insurance policy, there are a few requirements to consider when looking through your insurance options. Here are the minimum liability insurance requirements for San Diego according to the State of California DMV:
- $15,000 injury/death coverage for one person
- $30,000 injury/death coverage for more than one person
- $5,000 coverage for damage to property
Cheap Car Insurance in San Diego
If you’re able, getting a minimum liability insurance policy can help you maximize your savings while still having coverage in case of accident or vehicle damage. The average full-coverage auto insurance rate for San Diego drivers is $1,249 per year, which is cheaper than rates in other parts of California. Selecting cheaper coverage options can help you further reduce your insurance premiums so you can have reliable coverage at a lower price.
If you have a lien on your vehicle, the state of California might require that you have full liability coverage until you fully satisfy the lien amount. This type of insurance might have a higher premium rate than that of a minimum liability policy. Once you satisfy your lien, you can opt for lesser coverage amounts or pursue minimum liability insurance.
San Diego Insurance Rates
San Diego has insurance options with many large insurance companies, so you can find the company that works for you and your vehicle. These rates can vary based on your vehicle type, driving history, and credit score among other factors. If you want to find cheap full coverage insurance options, you can expect to pay the following premiums from these providers:
- GEICO: $1,295 annually/$108 monthly
- Mercury: $1,446 annually/$121 monthly
- Progressive: $1,506 annually/$126 monthly
- AAA SoCal: $1,748 annually/$146 monthly
- Allstate: $1,799 annually/$150 monthly
- State Farm: $1,966 annually/$164 monthly
- Farmers: $2,172 annually/$181 monthly
If you want to save even more, you can apply for minimum liability coverage. For minimum liability coverage, you can expect to pay the following rates:
- GEICO: $363 annually/$30 monthly
- Progressive: $469 annually/$39 monthly
- AAA SoCal: $508 annually/$42 monthly
- Mercury: $539 annually/$45 monthly
- Allstate: $682 annually/$57 monthly
- Farmers: $713 annually/$59 monthly
- State Farm: $716 annually/$60 monthly
Factors That Can Affect Insurance Rates
Knowing about what can affect your insurance rates and coverage requirements can help you find the policy that works best for you. This can also help you understand what goes into an insurance company’s quote for your premium rates. Some common factors that insurance companies use when calculating your insurance quote include:
- Driving record
- Credit score
- Year of vehicle
- Make and model of vehicle
- Age of insured
There are many ways to reduce your premium rates that are within your control. For example, you might work on improving your credit score or finding lower-risk vehicles to insure. Low-risk vehicles include cars that are less expensive to repair or vehicles that are older than ten years old. Other factors that companies might look into include how far you anticipate driving annually, how often you drive, what is the price of your vehicle, and what are the estimated cost for vehicle repairs.
Tips To Save On Your Car Insurance in San Diego
There are many ways to help reduce your premium rates in San Diego. Here are some tips to consider that can help you reduce your annual premium costs:
- Compare rates: Comparing quotes from multiple insurance providers can help you find the provider that offers the best rates. When comparing rates, it’s also important to research what each policy covers to ensure that you choose the policy that balances coverage features with premium rates.
- Retain a clean driving record: Since your driving record is a large influencing factor on your insurance rates, it’s a good idea to try to maintain a clean driving record. Following speed limit signs and other traffic signs can help keep a clean driving record.
- Research discounts: Some companies offer discounts to new or existing customers, which can help reduce your monthly or annual rates. Researching different discounts offered by various insurance companies can help you find deals and discounts that can make your insurance plan more affordable.
- Take driving courses: Taking a defensive driving, teen, or senior driving course can help you reduce overall premium rates. This is because these classes teach vital skills that can result in companies seeing these drivers at a lower risk.
- Maintain your vehicle: Vehicle maintenance is another important item that keeps your vehicle in prime operating condition and can also reduce your premium rates. This is because insurance companies often consider well-maintained vehicles to be safer than vehicles that have not had regular preventative maintenance.
Whether you choose to get full or minimum liability insurance, researching different insurance providers and policies in the area can help you find the right price for you. Now that you know more about cheap car insurance in San Diego, you can start searching for the coverage options that are ideal for you and your vehicle.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.