Working as a teacher can provide you with some perks and discounts, including auto insurance. Some auto insurance companies recognize teachers’ and educators’ essential roles and reward them with discounts and other benefits. Any potential offers vary by company and location. Discounts available in one state may not apply elsewhere. You can find deals through local and national companies, or you can look at companies that only serve educators, such as Horace Mann. If you want to know more, here are some car insurance discounts for teachers.
Horace Mann is an educator-founded insurance company that only insures other educators. They firmly believe educators tend to be better drivers and, therefore, they should be rewarded for their lower-risk business. Potential discount options include:
- Educator: Administrators and teachers who purchase a policy through Horace Mann could qualify for an educator discount.
- Multiline: If you have multiple lines of business, such as property, life, or an annuity, you will qualify for a discount on your auto policy. Do you have more than two lines of business? If so, you could receive an additional discount.
- Multicar: Policyholders with more than one vehicle could qualify for a discount.
- New customer: Educators insured with other companies can switch to Horace Mann and possibly qualify for a new customer discount.
- Payroll: Policyholders who deduct their premiums from their paycheck can receive a payroll discount.
- Association member: Membership in some school administrator or education associations qualifies for a discount.
- HMDrive premium credit: Policyholders in certain states who use the HMDrive safe driving mobile app can receive participation credit.
Teachers’ Insurance Plan of NJ
New Jersey teachers and educators have several discounts, exclusive rates, and unique programs when purchasing insurance from Plymouth Rock’s Teachers’ Insurance Plan of NJ. Here are several examples of discounts and perks from Teachers’ Insurance Plan of NJ:
- Defensive driving discount: If you take a New Jersey-approved defensive driving course, you can lower your overall premiums.
- Exclusive rates: You could receive lower rates than other companies because they only focus on insuring the state’s educational community members.
- Health Care Primary: Lower your personal injury protection (PIP) premiums by up to 25% on each vehicle when you select Health Care Primary for your auto policy.
- Companion home policy: If you bundle your homeowners or renters policy, you might see some savings.
- Claim experience: Limited to no claims within the past five years could also result in savings.
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Liberty Mutual Insurance can provide teachers with several discounts on their car insurance. These are:
- Personal property coverage: If any school-owned property or teaching materials are damaged or stolen while in your vehicle, you have up to $2,500 per occurrence.
- Vandalism loss protection: If your vehicle is vandalized during a school-related event or while on school property, you have a $0 deductible.
- Collision coverage: If your vehicle sustains damage in a collision while you’re on school business, you will also have a $0 deductible.
Teachers who have auto insurance through Liberty Mutual will also receive exclusive savings on their auto insurance.
While Geico doesn’t specifically offer a teachers discount or a particular policy, they offer discounts to teachers who work for universities or colleges or belong to specific educational organizations. Discounts will vary depending on your organization and where you reside. Examples of some organizations that qualify for a discount include:
- American Association of School Administrators
- Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired
- International Literacy Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National School Public Relations Association
- National Tutoring Association
- Phi Delta Kappa
- SHAPE America
- Society for Research in Child Development
Visit Geico’s website to see the complete list of educational organizations, colleges, and universities that are eligible for a discount.
Meemic is only available in four states—Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Policyholders can save up to 35% on their auto insurance and receive other benefits. Benefits include:
- Liability coverage when driving students to and from school-related events
- A waived comprehensive deductible if something happens while the vehicle is on school property
- Accident forgiveness if you have had a Meemic policy and stayed accident-free for five years
- Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts on all repairs
California Casualty also features specific insurance designed for teachers and educational support professionals. They have supported educators since 1951 and offer a wide range of benefits for auto and homeowner or rental policies. Auto insurance benefits include:
- $0 deductible if your vehicle is vandalized or hit while at school, an educational association office, or a school administrative office (except in PA and NH)
- Coverage extends to other people who have your permission to drive your vehicle, or you are borrowing or renting a car
- $500 in personal property coverage for non-electronic personal belongings stolen from your vehicle
- Up to $2,000 in coverage to replace any select custom vehicle parts
- Rental vehicle deductible waiver when driving a rented vehicle that isn’t a substitute for your out-of-service vehicle
- Up to $1,000 in vet bills (with zero deductible) for your dog or cat who is in your car and injured in a collision
- Free identity theft resolution with a fraud specialist
- No deductible for windshield repairs
- Waived collision coverage deductible if an uninsured motorist or other California Casualty customer causes the collision
- 24-hour roadside assistance and towing to a nearby repair facility
Visit the California Casualty website to see all the benefits for a homeowner or rental policy.
Finding the Right Auto Policy for You
These companies are only some options that might offer car insurance discounts for teachers. You can inquire about deals in your own state from local companies or contact the more prominent national insurance companies to ask what benefits and discounts might be available. Are you part of a teachers’ or education union? Ask whether they have any partnerships with insurance companies that offer discounts. Whenever you contact an insurance agent or company, be sure to tell them you are a teacher. That way, you can compare your options and find the best policy for you.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.