Do you live in Connecticut and need to find cheap car insurance? Since every insurance company has a unique method for calculating its rates, it might take some research to find out what companies offer the best rates for you. Whether you have a safe driving record or have a few accidents that make you a high-risk driver, you can find a policy that will work. Here’s what you need to know about cheap car insurance in Connecticut.
What Determines Car Insurance Premiums In Connecticut?
According to the State of Connecticut Insurance Department, several factors determine your insurance premiums.
- Where you live. Some areas in the state have heavy traffic and higher theft rates, which lead to higher insurance rates.
- The vehicle you drive. If you drive an SUV, convertible, or performance car, it will cost more to insure than a sedan or crossover.
- Your driving record. Drivers with clean records will get lower rates.
- Your auto insurance claims history. Filing at-fault claims will raise your premiums.
- Where you park. If you have a garage where you park your car at home, it decreases the risk of theft, which can keep your rates lower.
Cheap Car Insurance in Connecticut for Full Coverage
If you need full coverage on your vehicle, Geico and Kemper are the two companies with the lowest rates. Full coverage means that you carry more than the minimum insurance required by the state. It includes not only the liability coverage that’s required but also collision and comprehensive insurance. These two additional coverages will pay to repair damage to your vehicle.
Cheap Car Insurance in Connecticut for Safe Drivers
If you have a clean driving record and live in an area that the Department of Motor Vehicles considers safe, you will pay the lowest rates in Connecticut. Depending on the insurance company, you may pay as low as $430 a year for the minimum state-required coverage and $1,200 for full coverage on the low end, but you could end up spending up to $1,500 a year for liability only and $3,800 annually for full coverage.
Auto Insurance in Connecticut for High-Risk Drivers
Cheap car insurance is harder to find if you’re considered a high-risk driver. But what you have to pay also depends on what insurance company you use and what types of violations you have on your driving record. Some of the violations that can put you in the high-risk category include:
- At-fault accidents
- Distracted driving
- Multiple speeding tickets
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving is a severe offense and will raise your rates. You can be cited for reckless driving if you drive over 85 miles per hour or drive at a speed that endangers someone else’s life.
If you have a speeding ticket on your record, you can expect your rate to increase by about 12%, while an at-fault accident can increase it by 29%. The most severe violations, such as a DUI, will increase your premiums by up to 46%.
Cheapest Car Insurance in Connecticut for Drivers With DUIs
If you’ve been charged with a DUI, State Farm offers the cheapest insurance. You can expect your rates to go up significantly after a DUI conviction because you are considered a higher risk than other drivers with a clean record, but shopping around can help save you some money. After a DUI, the cheapest insurance from State Farm will cost you about $732 annually, with Travelers coming in next at $816 a year.
Cheap Auto Insurance for Drivers With Poor Credit
If you don’t have good credit, it makes you a higher risk than drivers with good credit. Being in a higher-risk category will affect your insurance premiums. If you have poor credit, the company that offers the cheapest car insurance is Geico, where you can expect to pay just over $700 a year for the minimum liability coverage. Kemper also offers cheap car insurance in Connecticut to drivers with a poor credit history; such a policy has an average annual premium of $792.
Cheap Auto Insurance for Young Drivers
Young drivers often have higher insurance premiums than older drivers. Drivers between the ages of 16 and 25 can expect to pay up to three times the average for car insurance because their inexperience makes them a higher risk. Geico offers some of the best rates for young drivers in Connecticut, with the average yearly premium for a 16-year-old costing about $2,600. Premiums drop as these drivers get a few years older; a 20-year-old looking for cheap car insurance in Connecticut can expect to pay about $2,100 with Geico.
How To Get Cheap Car Insurance in Connecticut
If you need to reduce your premiums to save money, there are a few things you can do. Take a look at some ways to save and get cheaper car insurance.
- Find an insurance company that offers accident forgiveness. Some companies will waive your first accident or waive one every few years. Taking advantage of this benefit will help keep your premiums from increasing if you just get into a mild fender-bender.
- Bundle your insurance policies. If you use the same insurance company for all your insurance policies, the company will give you a discount.
- Take a defensive driving course. The state of Connecticut has a list of courses you can take to learn how to be a safe and defensive driver. If you take one and pass, you can receive up to 5% off your premiums for two years.
- Change your deductible. If you raise the deductible on your policy, you will lower your premium. The deductible is the amount you have to pay before the insurance pays, and if you raise it from the typical $500 to $1,000, you’ll pay less for your premiums. Just make sure you can cover the amount of the deductible if you need to.
- Pay your annual premium up front. If you can afford to pay the entire annual premium up front instead of paying monthly, insurers will often offer a discount.
With premium rates varying from city to city and company to company, it’s important to shop around to ensure you get the best rates possible. Once you’ve done your research, you can find cheap car insurance in Connecticut, whether it’s the minimum required coverage or full coverage.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.