Looking for cheap car insurance in Jacksonville, Florida? Use this helpful guide to compare rates from leading insurance providers to ensure you’re getting the best deal for your coverage needs. Since there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all insurance policy, it’s important to understand how your background and driver profile may affect the cost of your insurance. Let’s compare the cheapest car insurance providers in Jacksonville based on level of coverage, driver age, and accident history.
Cheapest Provider for Minimum Coverage
The cheapest insurance option for drivers in Jacksonville looking for minimum coverage is GEICO. Drivers pay an average annual premium of $1,136 for minimum coverage through GEICO. The next cheapest option is State Farm at $1,266, followed by Direct General at $1,934. Since Jacksonville is a densely populated city, drivers living here may experience higher than average insurance rates, which is why many drivers opt for the minimum coverage option to keep their expenses low. However, this option may not suit everyone’s needs. The disadvantage of minimum coverage is that the provider may not cover damages to your own vehicle.
Minimum liability insurance coverage refers to the minimum amount of coverage you’re required to have in order to operate a motor vehicle in your state. This is often the most affordable insurance option because it provides only the bare essentials that your state requires for drivers. Typically, this level of coverage won’t cover many of the costs that come with an at-fault crash. For example, Florida requires drivers to have insurance covering $10,000 in property damage per accident and $10,000 in personal injury protection per person. Florida differs from other states because its insurance requirements don’t include bodily injury coverage.
Cheapest Provider for Full Coverage
The cheapest option for drivers looking for full coverage also comes from GEICO. Drivers who purchase full coverage through GEICO have an average annual premium of $1,669, which is $533 more than the minimum coverage option. By comparison, the second cheapest option is State Farm, costing $2,118, with the third cheapest choice being Direct General at $2,742. Although full coverage costs more than minimum coverage, you get more protection that can end up saving you a lot of money over time, especially if you’re in an accident that causes substantial damage to your vehicle.
To understand the benefit of full coverage, it can help to learn about the differences between comprehensive coverage and collision coverage. Here’s how these two coverage types compare:
- Comprehensive coverage: This type of coverage can protect you from expenses caused by factors beyond your control. For example, this type of coverage can help you manage costs incurred because of theft or natural disasters.
- Collision coverage: Drivers with this type of coverage have protection from common collision accidents, such as driving into an object or another vehicle. This type of coverage pays for damage to your vehicle if you get into an accident, like hitting a curb, running into another car, or driving into a ditch.
Cheapest Provider for Inexperienced Drivers
Insurance for young or new drivers typically costs more than insurance for experienced drivers. Young drivers, and those who are new to the road, may be more likely to be involved in an accident, so insurance companies often charge higher premiums for these drivers to offset their higher risk. When comparing plans for the average 18-year-old driver, GEICO once again comes out on top as the cheapest plan, offering an average annual premium of $3,187. Following GEICO, Direct General’s average annual premium is $3,832, with State Farm close behind at $3,904.
Since insurance coverage for inexperienced drivers can cost significantly more than average, you can look into some other options for managing this expense. Here are some strategies you can use to reduce the costs of covering a new driver:
- Combine insurance policies with other family members: Many families with young or teen drivers choose to combine their plans to get a reduced rate. Insurance companies often offer the option to combine the policy of an older, more experienced driver with a good driving record so you can pay less than you would for separate policies.
- Research company discounts: Do your research to find discounts from insurance providers or third-party offers. Insurance companies may extend discounts to young drivers who take defensive driving courses, install safety features on their vehicles, or even earn good grades at school.
- Check out smaller insurers: Consider reaching out to small, local insurers around Jacksonville to learn about their deals. Some small insurance companies may work with you to get you the best deal on insurance for inexperienced drivers.
Cheapest Provider for Drivers With Accident Histories
Drivers who have gotten into an accident know that it can significantly affect their insurance. If you have an accident history, it’s important to shop for the insurer with the lowest increase in their average annual premium after an accident claim. In this case, State Farm has the lowest increase in its rate after a driver gets into an accident, but the post-accident rate from GEICO is still the least expensive option.
By comparison, the average pre-accident rate from State Farm is $2,118, and the average post-rate cost is $2,500, which is a difference of $382. The pre-accident average rate from GEICO is $1,669, while the post-accident rate is $2,384. This is an increase of $715, which is more than the average increase for drivers with State Farm. The third least expensive option for drivers with an accident history is Direct General. This provider costs an average of $2,742 for drivers without an accident history and $3,666 on average for drivers after an accident, representing a $924 increase.
Although GEICO offers the overall cheapest car insurance in Jacksonville for most drivers, insurance companies calculate many individual factors when determining a policyholder’s rates. Contact insurance companies to get an individualized quote for comparison when shopping for car insurance. Getting a personalized quote is the best way to make sure you’re getting all the coverage you need while staying within your budget.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.