When you’re looking for car insurance, you’ll find an enormous list of companies that offer coverage. Each company offers something unique, whether that’s exceptional customer service, customizable plans, many types of insurance policies, or low rates. If you’re looking for a good insurance plan from a reputable company, you may want to read our article on the top-rated car insurance providers.Other companies, like GEICO, offer all of these benefits. If you’re looking for a good insurance plan from a reputable company, you may want to read our article on the top-rated car insurance providers.
If you’re looking for auto coverage, find out a bit more about GEICO and why they may offer the right policy for you.
What Is GEICO?
GEICO stands for Government Employees Insurance Company. The company chose this name because it used to offer insurance primarily to government employees. Now, GEICO customers account for more than 18 million auto policies, and the company offers many types of insurance, including life insurance and even policies to insure jewelry or boats. You can start looking into what GIECO offers by visiting their website here.
GEICO Car Insurance Plans
GEICO offers types of insurance typically required by most states as well as supplemental or additional coverage to ensure that you have the insurance you need wherever and whatever you drive.
Your state most likely requires this type of insurance. Liability coverage will pay for the costs associated with damages or injuries in an accident where you’re at fault. This type of insurance includes property damage and bodily injury coverage. However, liability coverage doesn’t include any costs you may need to pay for damages to your belongings or your medical expenses. It only helps with payments for other people’s property or injuries. Learn more about liability insurance and its coverage areas by reading our complete guide on liability insurance here.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage
Many companies also require uninsured motorist coverage. This type of insurance helps to cover the costs of an accident where the other driver doesn’t have auto insurance. In some states, uninsured motorist coverage also includes hit-and-run accidents or situations where the other party’s insurance doesn’t fully cover your costs in an accident, which may be called underinsured motorist coverage. Like liability coverage, uninsured motorist coverage includes property and bodily injury damage costs. Learn everything there is to know about uninsured motorist coverage insurance, including the various types and how they work, by reading this article.
GEICO also offers:
- Collision coverage: If you damage your vehicle in an accident, this type of insurance will help cover the cost of repairing your vehicle and, in some cases, the other vehicle or object you hit. You can use this whether you’re at fault or not, and it covers up to the cash value of your car.
- Comprehensive coverage: When your car sustains damage from something other than an accident, such as theft, vandalism, or weather, this type of coverage can help with the cost of repairing it. Like collision coverage, it will pay up to the cash value of your vehicle.
- Medical payments: Some states require this type of coverage as well. Medical payments coverage helps with medical expenses from a collision, and you can use it regardless of who’s at fault.
- Rental reimbursement: You can add this on to other insurance policies. It covers the cost of rental vehicles you may need to use while your car is being repaired or while you find a new vehicle if your car is totaled.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance: If you need to pay for car repairs, such as an unexpected mechanical problem or parts repair, this type of insurance can help cover the costs. It’s available for new cars or leased cars that are 15 months old or less and have a mileage that’s under 15,000 miles.
Why Choose GEICO?
GEICO has a 97% customer satisfaction rate, and its rate of customer complaints is below the national industry average. Forbes even gives GEICO a five-star rating. As you can see, GEICO has plenty of satisfied customers, and they even offer:
- The GEICO mobile app, which you can use to request roadside assistance, contact customer service, file claims, and view a digital insurance card from anywhere
- 24/7 customer support
- Access to local agents who can help you in person and often work to support their local communities
- Accident forgiveness, which means that your insurance rates won’t go up after your first accident if you haven’t had an accident in the past five years
- Quick and easy online quotes
- DriveEasy, which is a type of usage-based insurance that determines the cost of your insurance by tracking your driving habits and raising or lowering your premium based on how safely you drive
GEICO isn’t the best choice for everyone, however. They don’t offer ride-share insurance, which helps cover the difference between your personal auto coverage and a ride-share company’s insurance if you or someone else uses your car for ride-share services. If you don’t drive your car very often, you may prefer a pay-per-mile insurance policy, which GEICO also doesn’t offer. Drivers who need gap insurance will need to consider other companies as well.
How GEICO Helps You Save Money
GEICO has one of the lowest average rates in the country, so the company already offers customers a great deal with their plans. They even offer lower rates for student and senior drivers, who often pay higher premiums than other drivers. If you want to keep more money in your wallet, however, you may be interested in some of the discounts GEICO offers, such as:
- Discounts based on safety features in your car, such as air bags, anti-lock brakes, an anti-theft system, or daytime running lights
- New vehicle discount if your car is less than three model years old
- Seat belt use discount if both you and your passengers regularly wear seat belts
- Five-year accident-free driver discount
- Defensive driving discount, which is available in some states after finishing a defensive driving course
- Driver’s education discount for younger drivers who complete a driver’s education course
- Good student discount for student drivers who maintain good grades
- Multivehicle and multipolicy discounts for customers who insure more than one vehicle or bundle their auto insurance with another type of insurance, such as life or renters insurance
- Discounts for federal employees, members of the military, and customers who are a member of one of GEICO’s partner organizations
Visit this page to learn about all of GEICO’s discounts and premium reductions.
GEICO offers a range of insurance policies, including those mandated by many states, and provides many discounts you can use to lower the cost of your insurance. Drivers with GEICO pay less and enjoy excellent customer service that’s available 24/7. If you’re looking for a reasonably priced insurance plan, consider getting a quote from GEICO to see if they’re right for you.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.