Image via Flickr by free pictures of money
Getting an insurance policy to show financial responsibility and to protect your investment is an important aspect of car ownership. While taking measures in routine car maintenance such as oil changes can decrease the total cost of ownership, some things, like the mandated requirement to carry liability insurance in most states, are unavoidable. Because the total cost of living in Atlanta is already slightly higher than the national average, it is important to save money where possible.
Learn about the standard price for car insurance in Atlanta, Georgia, review top rates by provider, and see how conditions like age, marital status, and driver history can affect the price an individual must pay for monthly premiums.
Is There Cheap Car Insurance in Atlanta?
Finding cheap car insurance in Atlanta, Georgia is possible with some research and patience. The typical driver pays $1,638 in car insurance per year. What each person pays varies widely by the type of coverage they elect, the make and model of the care being insured, and other aspects such as driver age, marital status, credit score, and driving habits. Sometimes even the color of a vehicle can affect premium prices. Rates will also vary from company to company. The Georgia average for car insurance is $1,609 and the national average is $1,548. With prices for Atlanta natives $300 above the state and $400 above the national average, every penny saved matters.
Minimal Auto Insurance Coverage in Georgia
The State of Georgia requires all motor vehicle owners and lessees to have continuous liability coverage on vehicles registered in Georgia. Driving a vehicle while the insurance is suspended, revoked, or canceled is a criminal offense punishable by law. All Georgia drivers, including those in Atlanta, must carry a minimum level of insurance. Active drivers operating a registered vehicle in Atlanta, Georgia, and anywhere in the state must include:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 property damage per accident
The minimum coverage regulations refer to the maximum amount the insurance company will pay following an accident if the owner of the policy is found to be at fault. Liability does not cover the policy owner’s vehicle, medical bills, or hospital stay. The state liability requirements cover the property damage and bodily injuries of the other parties involved.
Atlanta Car Insurance By Provider
Most people remain with a company that they are familiar with. If you are selecting the minimum insurance required, most providers offer the same protection. What changes is how much a driver must pay to be insured. Here is a breakdown of prices based on insurance provider:
The price may fluctuate based on your individual driving profile. Be sure to get quotes that match the needs and information of each driver to have an accurate assessment and make the best decision regarding insurance needs.
Atlanta Car Insurance By Age Group
Younger drivers are typically considered more high risk. Depending on a driver’s age, the amount they pay may be higher or lower. As people age and fall into another category, the price drops. However, some senior citizens might see a slight increase in premiums as they age. Here is the average annual cost of car insurance in Atlanta organized by age group:
- Teenagers – $8,016
- 20-29 year olds – $2,668
- 30-39 year olds – $1,923
- 40-49 year olds – $1,840
- 50-59 year olds – $1,690
- 60-69 year olds – $1,749
- 70-79 year olds – $2,212
Tips To Score Cheap Car Insurance in Atlanta, Georgia
Here are some tips to consider when searching for a cheap car insurance plan in Atlanta:
- Take advantage of multi-car discounts. Some agencies offer discounts for insuring more than one car. They also provide discounts for bundling policies. Getting a car and home insurance policy together can help save hundreds of dollars.
- Pay attention to the roads and avoid road debris when possible. It is best to avoid problems rather than react to them. Minimize the likelihood that a claim will have to be made on a policy to decrease your premium. The more claims you have, the higher the premiums.
- Take and complete a defensive driving course. Learning skills to react in a difficult situation and being a focused driver can provide a discount on car insurance. Show a certificate of completion or another form of proof to an agency and they may grant a percentage discount.
- Know all options before committing to a plan. Shopping around is the best option for finding a plan that fits both your budget and your needs.
- Consider a family-style vehicle. These vehicles are typically more affordable to insure when compared to high-powered performance vehicles.
- Opt for a higher deductible. The relationship between deductible and premiums is a seesaw. Consider having an emergency savings account to cover a higher deductible in case of an accident rather than paying higher premiums per month. The higher the deductible, the lower the premiums, which can save an accident-free driver thousands of dollars a year.
- Work on improving your credit score. Many insurance agencies consider individuals with a lower credit score higher risk. Be aware of your credit report and history. Consider checking your credit score before you compare car insurance prices. Challenge items that are outdated, and pay any monthly charges by the due date.
- Consider your neighborhood. In some cases, the quotes a driver receives fluctuate depending on the zip code they live in. Neighborhoods that have a higher crime rate and theft rates will have higher premiums because of the risk involved to insure a vehicle stored there.
- Maximize discounts. Some insurance agencies offer discounts based on age or even school performance. If a driver is 65 or older, there may be a senior citizen discount available. Similarly, those in school might be able to show good grades and receive a student discount. Other discounts that might help lower the overall cost of insurance include teacher, firefighter, and police officer discounts. Military families might qualify for a military discount.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.