If you’re a Georgia resident or planning to move there, learning about auto insurance is an essential step. You need to have an appropriate insurance policy to drive legally, protect yourself and your loved ones, and minimize your financial and legal risks. Learning about the best car insurance in Georgia can help you choose a provider and coverage that works for you. Here’s what you need to know about dependable insurance options in the Peach State.
What Are the Insurance Market and Requirements Like in Georgia?
There is a competitive car insurance market in Georgia with plenty of options from GEICO, Auto-Owners, and State Farm. Insurance for minimum and full coverage is somewhat more expensive when compared with other U.S. states. However, there are several insurers who provide excellent value for your money. The state’s minimum requirements for coverage include having liability insurance to settle personal injury and property damage claims of others in the event of an at-fault accident. Getting insured has several benefits, including:
- You can drive legally in compliance with Georgia’s mandatory requirements for car owners.
- You can pay for your medical and property damage bills and those of others, even if you’re responsible for an accident.
- You can settle any claims and avoid legal issues in the event of an at-fault accident.
- You can avoid overextending yourself financially after a car accident.
- You can be confident that you have taken the necessary steps to insure yourself and others in the event of an auto accident.
What Is the Average Cost of Car Insurance in Georgia?
Image via Unsplash by rocinante_11
The average cost of a full car insurance package in Georgia is between approximately $1,715 per year, according to NerdWallet, and $1,982, per a study by Bankrate. In relation to the average auto insurance cost nationwide, which is $1,674, Georgia’s full coverage is pricier. In relation to minimum coverage, Georgia motorists pay $756 on average.
How To Find the Best Car Insurance in Georgia
Here’s a process you can use to find the best car insurance in Georgia:
Consider Coverage Options
Georgia drivers can choose from several coverage options. Here are some policies you should consider:
- Liability: This insurance type should be an essential part of your policy as it compensates for the personal injuries and property damage of other people who are affected in accidents for which you’re responsible.
- PIP: Personal injury protection insurance (PIP) is another must-have that will help pay for your medical bills, regardless of who is at fault.
- Collision: This type covers the cost of repairs to the driver’s vehicle after a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive: This type of insurance covers vehicle damage costs resulting from events other than road accidents, such as weather-related disasters like hail or floods.
- Uninsured/underinsured: In the event that a covered motorist is involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, this insurance helps to cover vehicle damage costs and medical bills.
- Medical payments: Similar to PIP but available in far fewer states, this insurance type pays for the medical expenses of the policyholder.
It’s usually best to choose a full coverage policy that includes a combination of collision, comprehensive, PIP, and liability insurance products.
Identify Reputable Insurers
It’s important to choose the right insurance company to get the best coverage. At this stage, check out the top insurance brands available in Georgia. Market leaders such as State Farm, Auto-Owners, and GEICO offer products you can rely on. Look at provider criteria such as experience, customer testimonials, and ratings by consumer watchdogs such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Researching the financial strength of your choices with a tool such as the S&P rating is a must to ensure that the insurer you choose has the ability to keep their side of the agreement. Also, you can check out customer satisfaction scores with a rating brand such as J. D. Power.
Identify the Best Prices
Georgia drivers have insurance options available at different price points, depending on what you need. Use these tips:
- Invest in an effective product: It’s best to spend more for quality coverage that can give you adequate protection. For example, you may get a $300 per year auto insurance product that has restrictions regarding minimum coverage, is inaccessible to older people, and has limits to those with driving violations.
- Look for the best bargain: Providers such as Auto-Owners, which is a market leader in auto insurance in Georgia, offset their relatively expensive full coverage with several discounts. For example, opting for digital statements, getting a new quote prior to policy termination, introducing new safety features to your vehicle, paying your premiums on time, and selecting other corporate offers can get you an even lower rate.
Choose Coverage That Works for You
After you have narrowed your options to companies with the right policies, prices, and brands, choose a product that suits your unique needs and expectations. Use these tips:
- Assess your vehicle use and location: Choose an insurance offering that matches your auto plans and state laws. For example, if you’re going to lease your vehicle, include comprehensive coverage with a fiscally strong insurer that has expertise with this product. However, if you’re driving in a no-fault state, seek a provider that offers a quality PIP product. If you have a clean record, look for policies that provide the best reductions and ask insurance agents about the availability of any safe-driving bonuses.
- Consider your demographic details: Demographics matter when looking for the best coverage. For example, if you’re a 20-year-old driver, you may need to spend more time looking for a deal that combines price with quality, since Georgia insurers tend to price youth-focused offerings at high price points and lower them as drivers age and gain experience. If this scenario fits you, providers such as GEICO may have an offer that suits you.
Now, you have the information you need to start narrowing down your choices. Investing in research is half the battle to finding quality coverage. Make sure to hone your skills such as patience and meticulousness and prepare to find the best car insurance in Georgia.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.