Car insurance is a requirement for drivers in most states, finding a new insurance policy is easier than ever thanks to online shopping. Purchasing car insurance online can be an easy way to get coverage for your automobile. Read on to explore how to buy auto insurance online instantly.
1. Collect the Proper Documents and Information
First, you’ll need to gather certain documents and data. Preparing your information in advance can make the buying process much easier and more efficient, allowing you to avoid a headache. Here are the basic items to have ready:
- Your social security number
- Your driver’s license identification number
- The details of your driving history, including any driving infractions you may have incurred, accidents, or claims in the last five years
- The make, model, and year of your vehicle
- The distance you commute to work every day, if applicable
2. Think About the Type of Insurance You Want
There are different types of car insurance available to you. While your state probably requires you to have minimum liability insurance, you can also get full-coverage insurance to avoid having to pay hefty out-of-pocket costs for repairs or replacements for your vehicle. Your choice of insurance may depend on your budget. However, it’s still a good idea to consider the different common types of insurance out there to decide which kinds of policies are best for you. Here are the typical insurance types and coverage options:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: If you cause a car accident, bodily injury liability coverage pays for the medical costs of anyone who has been injured due to the crash. It also pays for your legal fees if those people sue you for damages.
- Property damage liability coverage: If you cause a car accident, property damage liability coverage pays for any damage you caused to another person’s car or property.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage: If someone else crashes into you, uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage keeps you covered if the driver who crashed into you doesn’t have auto insurance or doesn’t have enough auto insurance.
- Collision coverage: Collision coverage helps pay to repair or replace your car if it’s damaged or totaled in an accident with another car, no matter who caused the accident.
- Comprehensive coverage: Comprehensive coverage helps pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it’s stolen or damaged in a situation other than a car accident. The damage could be due to an act of vandalism, inclement weather, or a natural disaster.
- Classic car coverage: Classic car insurance protects your collectible vehicle through a combination of liability, comprehensive, collision, and other special policies. Since antique cars usually increase in value over time, this type of plan covers your car up to an agreed-upon amount.
- Gap coverage: Here, gap is an acronym for guaranteed asset protection. In the event of an accident in which your car is badly damaged, totaled, or stolen and you owe more than the car’s depreciated value, gap insurance helps you pay off your auto loan. It pays the gap between the worth of your car and the amount you still owe on the car.
3. Get an Instant Car Insurance Quote Online
Many insurance providers and companies offer methods for you to get a car insurance quote right away online. Using an online tool to do this can give you a great ballpark idea of how much your car insurance might cost. Explore online tools from different insurance carriers. For example, Nationwide provides an auto insurance quote tool like this. To use it, you can enter your zip code and answer some other basic questions about yourself, the car you plan to insure, and the people that are going to be driving the car.
4. Explore Your Options
After getting a quick insurance quote and gaining a broad understanding of how much you may be paying for auto insurance, consider shopping around for different insurance providers. Check out the websites of various companies to learn about what kind of coverage they offer. It may be worthwhile to contact an insurance agent if you have specific questions about coverage options or discounts available. Compare the coverages, discounts, deductibles, liability limits, and other features of different insurance firms.
5. Find Insurance Discounts
When shopping for insurance, it’s beneficial to think about what kind of discounts for which you may be eligible. Of course, discounts can lower your premium and save you money on your insurance. Here are some common car coverage discounts and incentives:
- Safe driving: Maintaining a clean driving record by following traffic laws, avoiding tickets and infractions, and avoiding accidents can lower your insurance premiums.
- Military service: Being a veteran, member of the military, or family member may make you eligible for competitive auto insurance rates from USAA.
- Anti-theft discount: If your vehicle has an anti-theft mechanism or passenger restraint system, you may be eligible for a lower insurance quote.
6. Customize Your Policy
Think about the ways you may want to customize your insurance policy. For example, roadside assistance coverage helps you if your car breaks down, you get a flat tire, or other unexpected car trouble arises. As another example, an accident forgiveness program means your auto insurance rates will not increase following the first accident you cause.
7. Buy Auto Insurance Online Instantly
After weighing all your options, you can choose the best auto insurance policy for you and your needs. You can then buy it online right away. Choose a payment option to complete the transaction. You may need to fill out your contact information. Then, be sure to download your proof of insurance card, save it on your computer, print it out, and keep it in your vehicle.
The process of buying auto insurance online instantly is simple. After deciding which kind of coverage you want, shopping around, and finding discounts, you can determine the best policy for you and purchase it online with ease. Preparing documents and information beforehand can streamline the process. You can also talk to an insurance agent to get guidance and answers to any questions you may have. Insurance agents can work with you to assess your unique situation and discuss the variety of policies that may be right for you.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.