Since Las Vegas is the most populated city in Nevada, auto insurance premiums can be higher here than in other areas, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find affordable insurance. If you’re looking for cheap car insurance in Las Vegas, take some time to shop around and find the company that offers what you need and provides it at a price that’s right for you.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Las Vegas?
The average cost of insurance coverage in Las Vegas is between $1,400 and $2,934 annually. This is higher than the Nevada state average, which is about $1,974 a year. The amount you pay will differ depending on several factors including your age, the number of miles you travel each year, and what type of insurance coverage you have.
What Is the Minimum Amount of Car Insurance Required in Las Vegas?
According to the Nevada Division of Insurance, the minimum liability insurance required by the state includes the following coverage:
- $25,000 in bodily injury or death per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury or death per accident
- $20,000 in property damage per accident
Drivers in Nevada are required to carry proof of insurance at all times, and they must be able to produce it if:
- They get pulled over in a traffic stop
- They are in an accident
- They are at the DMV to register a vehicle or renew their registration
It’s important to keep in mind that these are just the minimums. If you want to protect your vehicle if it gets damaged in an accident or protect it against theft, you need to purchase additional insurance. Other types of car insurance you might want to consider include:
- Collision: This type of auto insurance will cover damage to your vehicle if you get into an accident regardless of who is at fault. You can get money to cover the cost of repairs or a monetary payment to cover the loss of the vehicle if it is totaled.
- Comprehensive: This insurance will cover the cost of the vehicle if it gets stolen or sustains damage in some way other than a collision. Other causes might be falling objects, wind damage, vandalism, or flood.
You can also get additional insurance coverage that will pay for medical expenses. These are not required by the state of Nevada, but if you finance your vehicle, your lender might require additional coverage. Most insurance companies in the state offer these coverages.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: This coverage will pay for medical expenses if you are in an accident and the other driver is found at fault, they do not have insurance, or they don’t have enough insurance to cover your expenses.
- Medical Payments: This type of insurance will cover the cost of treating injuries to you and your passengers, no matter who is at fault. It will also cover your medical expenses if you get hit by a car as a pedestrian.
What Companies Offer Cheap Car Insurance in Las Vegas?
Since every insurance company has its own formula for calculating insurance premiums, you’ll have to shop around to see who offers the best policy for the best price. Premiums will depend on several factors, such as where you live, how far you drive every day, and the type of insurance coverage you need. Some of the companies that offer the cheapest car insurance for minimum coverage include:
- State Farm
- American Family
If you want full coverage, which includes collision and comprehensive insurance, and you have a clean driving record, the companies that offer the cheapest rates include:
- State Farm
- American Family
In general, upgrading your policy from just liability to full coverage will increase your premiums, but it’s worth the extra cost to protect you and your assets.
What Factors Determine Car Insurance Rates in Las Vegas?
As you shop for car insurance, you might find that you end up paying less or more than other Las Vegas drivers. This is because insurance companies use personal information about you to calculate the rates. The following details will help determine how much you have to pay for your policy.
- Your Age. Young drivers pay significantly more for car insurance than middle-aged drivers.
- Your Gender. Young male drivers will pay more for insurance, but as you get older, female drivers can expect to pay more than male drivers.
- Your Driving Record. If you have speeding tickets, at-fault accidents, or DUIs on your driving record, you will pay more than someone who has a clean driving record.
- Your Marital Status. The insurance industry views single drivers as a higher risk than married drivers, so insurers charge them higher rates.
- Your Credit Rating. Your credit score will significantly affect your auto insurance premiums in Las Vegas. Drivers with poor credit are seen as less reliable and a higher risk than drivers with good credit. If you have exceptionally good credit, you can even earn a discount.
Can I Get Car Insurance Discounts in Las Vegas?
One of the best ways to save on your car insurance premiums in Las Vegas is to find discounts. Each insurance company offers similar discounts, but the amounts will vary between insurers. As you shop around, ask about discounts for having a car with safety equipment such as anti-lock brakes and advanced driver aids. Some insurers will also offer you a discount if you take a state-approved defensive driving course or if you insure multiple cars through the same company.
You can also get a discount for having multiple policies through the same company. If you can buy your homeowners insurance or renters insurance through the same company as your auto insurance, you will most likely save money. Farmers will offer from 6% to 26% off your policies if you have multiple lines of insurance.
You can find cheap car insurance in Las Vegas if you take some time to do your research. Safe drivers with good credit will see the lowest rates, but you can also find some deals even if you have a few blemishes on your record.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.