Progressive has been in business since 1937, providing auto insurance coverage in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Known for its funny spokesperson, Flo, and her antics on TV commercials, it’s the auto insurer with personality. The company offers many types of coverage, including vehicle, property, and commercial policies. You can even get roadside assistance if you need help while on the road. Progressive’s personalization options set the company apart from other insurers. If you’re searching for car insurance, take a moment to look at Progressive.
Types of Progressive Car Insurance Coverage
Image via Unsplash by whykei
If you’re in an accident and your car is damaged or you have caused injury to another person with your vehicle, it can be challenging to get your life back on track after the dust settles. That’s why Progressive offers four main types of coverage:
Comprehensive and Collision Coverage
Comprehensive and collision coverage can help if you’re in an accident. Comprehensive covers events outside your control, such as hitting an animal or a tree branch falling on your car. Collision coverage deals with accidents involving other vehicles or inanimate objects, such as fender benders or crashes into poles. It’s essential to know which kind is right for each situation.
Liability coverage is a vital part of any car insurance policy. It protects you, your passengers, and other people in the vehicle from liability lawsuits should an accident occur. It also covers damage you cause to someone’s property as well as any medical bills or court fees they may incur as a result of an accident.
Progressive’s Roadside Assistance comes with various services, 24 hours a day and seven days a week, to help in an emergency. These services, provided by Agero, include driver assistance and cover the following:
- Towing within a 15-mile radius
- A jump-start if the insured’s automobile battery dies
- Towing to a charging station or another point within 15 miles
- Free fuel delivery and servicing (fuel costs may apply)
- Service if keys are lost, stolen, or locked in the car
- Free flat tire replacement (spare tire fees will apply)
- Up to one hour of service if the vehicle doesn’t start
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist
Uninsured and underinsured automobile insurance protects against accidents caused by drivers with either no or insufficient insurance coverage. Uninsured coverage pays for damages if you get hit by another motorist with no vehicle insurance. Underinsured insurance protects you if the other party involved in an accident has insufficient coverage to pay for repairs or injuries. Many states require drivers to have uninsured and underinsured coverage, and companies often offer these policies together.
Other Types of Coverage
Progressive Insurance also provides the following types of coverage:
- Medical payments. Regardless of who is at fault, this policy covers medical and funeral costs for you and your passengers or relatives in the event of an accident.
- Gap insurance. This insurance covers the difference between a car’s loan/lease balance and its current market value, up to 25% over cash value, also known as loan/lease payoff.
- Rental car reimbursement. This coverage pays up to the policy limit, typically $40 to $60 per day, for a rental vehicle.
- Custom component and equipment value insurance. This policy might cover custom wheels, repainting, sound or navigation system repairs, among others.
- Ridesharing coverage. This option provides insurance relief while driving for a rideshare firm.
Policyholders can take advantage of 13 discounts through Progressive, including:
- Loyalty-based auto discounts such as multi-policy, multi-car, and continuous insurance
- Driver-based auto discounts such as a distant student discount, teen driver discount, good student discount, safe driver discount, and homeowner discount
- Quote and buy discounts including an online quote, sign online, paperless, pay in full, and automatic payment
Progressive car insurance reviews from happy customers mention the company’s discounts. Note that residents of specific states may or may not be eligible for certain reductions.
Progressive’s customer care is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by email, online chat, and phone at 1-888-671-4405. Customers can contact Progressive via the company’s website to discuss a claim, roadside assistance, or fraud/identity theft.
Progressive customers can sign up for an account online and then access their customer portal. Clients can use the portal to send policy queries and manage their policies, including reviewing coverage, benefits, payment alternatives, and more. Customers requiring assistance over the phone can contact Progressive’s support line that’s available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Progressive also has an app that customers can use to submit a claim and manage their policies from their smartphones.
Progressive Car Insurance Reviews
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) classifies Progressive as having lower-than-average consumer complaints. It also performed well in J.D. Power’s most recent U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study, which assesses overall customer satisfaction and ranks insurers. Progressive Auto Insurance has an average rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars from 1,808 reviews on Consumer Affairs.
Progressive car insurance reviews from WalletHub’s editors give it a 4.3 out of 5 rating based on sample quotations, consumer reviews, and Better Business Bureau (BBB) and J.D. Power ratings. Progressive customer feedback praises the firm’s low prices, but it also mentions bad customer service experiences and occasionally spotty coverage.
Progressive vs. Other Auto Insurance Companies: How Does It Compare?
One of the most important considerations when comparing auto insurance rates is premium costs. Progressive ranks 14 in average annual premium and 11 in yearly median premium out of 25 automobile insurance companies, rated from lowest to highest.
Progressive is a fantastic alternative if you’re searching for an auto insurance firm that makes applying for and getting coverage online a breeze. It’s simple to locate a personalized option that will save you money because it offers so many policies and discounts. The Name Your Price tool and Snapshot options can help you save even more.
Progressive isn’t the most inexpensive auto insurance alternative for cost-conscious consumers, but it has a solid financial standing and a long history of success, which appeal to many. Users enjoy having an agent available for questions or claims 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When it comes to purchasing automobile insurance, you have many options. It’s essential to know the type of coverage you need and additional coverage you might want. Contact Progressive today for a free quote.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.