If you need to start a new car insurance policy or adjust your existing one, you may want to consider Progressive’s offer for SR-22 insurance. Having Progressive SR-22 insurance can help you better manage your auto insurance and improve your premiums. Keep reading to understand more about how SR-22 insurance can help you.
What Is SR-22 Insurance?
SR-22 is a form that represents your financial responsibility as a driver. In some states, an SR-22 may be required for high-risk drivers. While it is not a type of insurance or a replacement for regular insurance, it verifies to the state that your auto insurance policy meets the minimum required coverage. Your state usually requires high-risk drivers to file an SR-22 so that they can fully verify your insurance policy. An SR-22 filing costs approximately $25 through Progressive, although this cost may vary depending on your state. If you file an SR-22 with a different company, this cost may differ. Depending on where you live, you may need to pay the filing fee as soon as you apply. For each policy term, you’ll need to pay the filing fee each time you renew the policy.
When working with an insurance company that doesn’t offer this plan by default, it may be a good idea to let them know as soon as possible that you require an SR-22 as part of your auto insurance. Insurance rates can differ, which makes finding the best car insurance an important part of becoming a responsible driver. Because the SR-22 is for high-risk drivers, getting one could increase your insurance rate. This increase can depend on many factors, such as your ZIP code, insurance history, vehicle, and driving record.
Who Needs SR-22 Insurance?
SR-22 isn’t a requirement for everyone. Typically, drivers only need an SR-22 if a court orders it. If you do need an SR-22 for your insurance, your judge will let you know during the hearing. You’ll also receive a letter from your state’s bureau or Department of Motor Vehicles. An SR-22 usually serves as both a precaution and protection of your insurance rights. Drivers may need an SR-22 for some of the following reasons:
- After a DUI or DWI: If you’ve been convicted of a DUI or DWI, you may need an SR-22 to help verify your insurance. Having an SR-22 helps reinstate the responsibility of your driving, both to your insurance company and the state where you live.
- When driving without insurance: If you’re caught driving without insurance or a license, you may need to get an SR-22 to help verify your insurance status. Getting an SR-22 after going without insurance can help prove that you have the minimum coverages that you need in order to drive.
- After having many accidents at-fault: If you have multiple accidents where you’re the one at fault, getting an SR-22 can help reinstate your responsibility as a driver. While an SR-22 will increase your insurance rates, it helps verify that you’re covered in case of another accident.
- After repeat offenses in a short time frame: Repeat offenses can be anything from causing accidents to not having your driver’s license on you when you need it. An SR-22 can help support your insurance to the state and the insurance company.
- After not paying court-ordered child support: State offenses such as court-ordered child support can impact your insurance. Having an SR-22 can not only help you keep your insurance, but it can also help verify to your state that you’re a responsible individual.
- For a hardship license: A hardship license allows people to drive only under very restricted circumstances, such as to work, school, or for medical treatment. Driving for any other reason is prohibited. An SR-22 may be required to obtain a hardship license, depending on the conditions that the court or DMV requires.
What You Need to Know About Progressive Insurance SR-22
If you choose Progressive insurance, they offer an SR-22 for a reduced fee as part of your plan. All you need to do to have this form filed is to call them. They’ll add your SR-22 plan to your current policy and file the SR-22 insurance document with your state. If you want an SR-22 and don’t have an insurance policy that offers it, you’ll need to buy a new policy.
If you need an SR-22 for a state you don’t live in, Progressive can handle it. With Progressive, they can file your SR-22 anytime, regardless of what state you live in. If you don’t have a car and still need an SR-22, Progressive can refer you to an insurance agent in your area. If you want an SR-22 as someone without a car, you’ll need a Named Non-Owner Coverage Endorsement with your SR-22. This endorsement can help cover your insurance under your state’s liability requirements, even if you don’t own a vehicle.
How Long Is SR-22 Insurance in Place? Can SR-22 Insurance Be Canceled?
Most SR-22s last three years. This length can be different depending on what state you live in. Once it’s no longer needed, your SR-22 doesn’t automatically cancel itself. When you no longer need your SR-22, you’ll need to remove it from your policy. If you have your SR-22 with Progressive, you can call them to arrange its removal from your insurance. Once you remove your SR-22, you may notice that your insurance rates are lower, if you saw a heightened rate since implementing the SR-22.
Is SR-22 Insurance Available With All Insurance Agencies?
SR-22 is available with Progressive regardless of the reason. Not all insurance agencies offer an SR-22. However, if you find you need an SR-22, contacting your insurance company can help determine what plan may work best for you. Some insurance companies aren’t compatible with SR-22 forms. If you need an SR-22 but can’t get one with your current insurance, consider switching to Progressive. For new customers, once you purchase your policy, Progressive electronically files the SR-22 form immediately for your state and department of mobile vehicles.
If you want to learn more about SR-22 insurance through Progressive, consider calling them via their assistance number at 1-886-749-7436. There you can learn how an SR-22 can apply to your personal insurance plan, or how it may affect your insurance in your state.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.