If you’re the proud owner of a Subaru Outback, it’s important to properly insure it. This way, your trusty SUV can take you on all your adventures while you have peace of mind. Below, you can learn everything you need to know about Subaru Outback car insurance, including how much it costs on average and how you can get a low rate.
What’s the Average Cost of Subaru Outback Car Insurance?
The average cost to insure a Subaru Outback is around $118 per month in premiums. This equates to around $1,416 per year. You can lower your premium by increasing your deductible as long as you’re willing to assume the risk of paying higher out-of-pocket costs if an accident occurs.
What Factors Influence the Cost of Subaru Outback Car Insurance?
It’s not unusual for two Subaru Outback owners to pay different rates to insure their vehicles. Here are some factors that may influence the cost of Subaru Outback car insurance:
- Your vehicle’s specifications: The trim level of Subaru Outback you own may affect your insurance rates. For example, the Subaru Outback Touring trim level has more advanced features, making it more expensive to insure than the base model. However, high-end models can also include safety features that more basic models do not, which may help reduce insurance rates.
- Your vehicle’s age: When all other factors, like trim level, mileage, and condition, are equal, an older model is cheaper to insure than a newer model.
- Your age: Teen drivers tend to pay much more for car insurance than more experienced drivers. As long as you’re a safe driver with no major marks on your record, you may start to see a decline in your premiums at around age 20. Drivers may see much more substantial drops in their car insurance premiums when they turn 25, and the rates will slowly begin to decline again.
- Your gender: Most states don’t ban car insurance companies from factoring in a driver’s gender when determining their premiums. Men tend to pay higher insurance premiums, as insurance companies believe they’re more likely to engage in risky driving behavior.
- Your credit history: Some insurance companies factor in your credit history when determining your Subaru Outback car insurance rates. They may view a customer with a good credit score as less risky compared to a customer with a poor credit score.
- Your location: Your city and state of residence may influence the amount you pay each month for Subaru Outback car insurance. If you live in a big city with a high cost of living, your premiums may be higher because of how expensive it is to get repairs or medical services.
What Subaru Outback Safety Features Can Impact Insurance Costs?
- EyeSight technology
- Pre-collision braking
- STARLINK Safety and Security
- Rear vision cameras
- Blind-spot detection
- Reverse automatic braking
It’s also worth noting that your Outback’s crash test performance can influence the cost of insurance. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration releases crash test data for various types of vehicles. It has data on Subaru Outbacks from different years. Depending on how your specific Outback model performs, you may be able to shave a couple of dollars off your monthly premium. Subarus typically perform well in these crash tests and are generally safe cars, which may help keep your rates down.
What Insurance Coverage Should I Seek for My Subaru Outback?
The type of insurance coverage you should seek for your Subaru Outback depends on where you live. States have different requirements, so it’s important to understand the ones in your state. Some states only require liability insurance for bodily injury and property damage. Others require this coverage plus personal injury protection and uninsured motorist coverage. Once you meet your state’s minimum coverage, you can decide whether to purchase additional protection. For example, you may want to add comprehensive and collision coverage to your policy. If you lease or have a loan on your Outback, your finance company will likely require this coverage.
What Discounts Can You Get on Subaru Outback Car Insurance?
Depending on your personal circumstances and the insurance provider you select, you may be able to access the following discounts:
Safe Driver Discount
Your insurance provider may provide a discount if you’re a safe driver. This can take one of several forms. You may qualify if you have a clean driving record with no infractions. You may also qualify for the discount if you take a defensive driving course to show that you’re committed to safe driving.
Low Mileage Discount
Some insurance providers may charge you less on your monthly premium if you don’t plan to drive your Subaru Outback frequently. You can show that you work from home and don’t use your SUV to commute to work. If an insurance company knows that you only use your Outback for recreational purposes, it may view you as less risky to insure.
New Vehicle Discount
An insurance provider may offer a discount if you own a brand-new Subaru Outback. You may pay less to insure an Outback if you’re the original owner instead of insuring a relatively new vehicle with several prior owners. Insurance companies also like offering coverage to owners with newer vehicles that have built-in safety features.
Multiple Policy Discount
Insurance providers love it when their customers sign up for multiple policies, and most are willing to offer a discount for doing so. When you insure your Subaru Outback, you can consider signing up for one or more additional policies with the same provider. For example, you can insure your Subaru Outback, your home, your boat, and any other high-value items you own through the same company.
Responsible Payer Discount
Insurance companies may reward customers who they view as responsible payers. For example, you may receive a discount on your rate if you pay for your entire six-month or one-year policy in advance. You may also receive a discount if you set up automatic payments or have never missed a payment within a year-long period.
Now that you know more about Subaru Outback car insurance, you can find the right policy and safely enjoy all that your beloved SUV has to offer.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.