Finding affordable car insurance in the volunteer state is definitely possible. However, it’s important to avoid settling for a product that won’t give you value for your money. Researching cheap car insurance in Tennessee is an essential first step to find one that suits you best. To learn about TN coverage that does not break the bank as well as a process for finding yourself a suitable policy, keep reading.
What state requirements in Tennessee impact coverage cost?
There are several minimum coverage requirements for Tennessee’s population, which are based on state laws. Here are the areas and items that impact the cost of coverage:
Liability insurance requirements in TN
Here are TN’s minimum requirements in relation to liability insurance:
- Motorists must have $25,000 coverage for personal injuries.
- Motorists should have $50,000 coverage for an accident with multiple injuries or deaths.
- Motorists must have $15,000 coverage for property damage.
Tennessee’s requirements relating to new drivers
In relation to amateur drivers between the ages of 15 and 18, Tennessee’s state laws grant the Graduated Driver License (GDL) program under which the parent or guardian of the new driver will be held liable for any auto accidents resulting from their teen’s negligence. Consequently, parents or guardians are expected to have liability insurance that covers bodily injury and property damage and add their child to their policy as a driver soon after they get their GDL.
Tennessee’s requirements relating to driving offenses
Those with driving offenses such as DUI and DWI citations, speeding tickets, and at-fault accidents can be expected to meet a higher standard in relation to insurance and spend more. For example, those with DUI and DWI citations are usually required to file a bond with their insurance provider. These are the SR-22 and FR-44 forms. The former certifies that a policyholder has an insurance policy covering TN’s minimum insurance requirements, and the latter guarantees coverage of a significantly higher amount than the state minimum.
Apart from state laws, what other factors impact coverage cost?
The average cost of Tennessee’s car insurance varies based on the offerings of the insurance company and unique driver characteristics, such as age and clean driving record. Many of the insurance market leaders provide economical options. For example, State Farm’s liability coverage that meets minimum requirements in Tennessee is currently the lowest on the market. Typically, the cheapest full coverage will cost you approximately $80 -$90 a month.
How to find cheap car insurance in Tennessee
Image via Flickr by mymoneymyquotes
Consider the following steps to find cheap car insurance in Tennessee:
1. Research requirements and policies
There is a great car insurance market in Tennessee with options that suit various lifestyles, budgets, and preferences. Use the following tips:
- Consider state laws and find out the minimum requirements, for that’s all the cover you need to pay for to drive legally. However, keep in mind that the price difference between the same type of products, such as the coverage limit of $25,000 for budget, personal injury liability insurance and the limit of $100,000 for costly, personal injury liability insurance, that are offered by a single provider can be minor. For example, you may only have to spend $8 to $9 more to get $75,000 more in coverage by selecting the $100,000 coverage limit for personal injury liability.
- Consider your vehicle usage, for this will impact the type of policy you need. For example, include a collision policy if you’re driving your vehicle in an area with a higher than average number of road accidents and a PIP policy with a high coverage limit if your child or elderly parent is using your vehicle or if you’re recovering from an illness.
2. Look for affordable rates
When you’re looking for affordable rates in Tennessee, use the following tips:
- Look for company deals that reduce your premiums.
- Ask about safe driving bonuses.
- Spend time engaging with different providers until you find the best deal.
3. Find an insurer you can rely on
While you’re looking for the cheapest coverage, make sure to vet the insurance provider before making an investment. Key providers in Tennessee include Erie Insurance, Geico, and State Farm. Here are some tips on how choose the best one:
- Assess the brand’s fiscal strength by looking at ratings such as S&P.
- Evaluate the brand’s customer loyalty by looking at the J. D. Power rating, customer reviews, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating.
- Meet the representatives of your preferred providers and gauge their customer service.
- Ask your insured friends in Tennessee, who are happy with their insurers, for their recommendations.
4. Select an economical coverage that suits you
Find cheap car insurance in Tennessee that suits you by choosing the insurance products you need, getting the best rate, and working with a quality insurance provider that offers value for money. You can use sites such as Value Penguin to check your selection and compare it with other Tennessee policies. Keep your goal of finding a suitable policy at a low price in mind even after you sign on the dotted line with these tips:
- Compare prices of different products every six months. Periodically check price comparison sites for the best deals. If you find a significantly more economical product, work with your provider to cancel your current coverage and opt for the cheaper one.
- Keep your premiums down. After getting your coverage, consistently try to reduce the cost of premiums by applying for corporate discounts for behaviors such as paying on time or applying for new insurance prior to current policy termination.
- Reduce costs by improving your driving skills. Poor driving skills can increase car insurance costs. So assess your driving record and make improvements if necessary. Make a commitment to driving safely to build a history of zero speeding, DUI, or DWI citations. Apply for safe-driving discounts. If you’re accident prone, train with a friend who is a great driver or get some extra driving lessons to improve your driving skill set and keep up to date with any new road rules.
Now, you can use what you have learned to start looking for cheap car insurance in Tennessee. Keep your eyes peeled for any special offers, and don’t settle till you find affordable and robust coverage.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.