The Tesla Model X is a luxury crossover that provides both performance and quality. Many Tesla Model X owners choose this vehicle for its high-end options and fully electric drive system. Though the Model X offers many benefits, insuring it may be difficult or expensive. Here’s everything you need to know about insuring your Tesla Model X.
Why Is It Important To Insure a Model X?
Finding the right car insurance policy for your Model X is important because it helps you protect yourself and others. The Model X is a luxury vehicle that holds a lot of value, and by choosing an effective insurance plan, you can help protect your investment in the vehicle. These are some reasons why it’s important to insure your Model X:
- Necessity: Some states may require you to maintain a minimum level of liability insurance to drive legally. This can help you protect yourself and others in the event of a collision or other accident.
- Loan: If you have a loan for your Model X, the lender may require that you have full coverage insurance. This assures the lender that if something happens to your vehicle, their investment stays intact.
- Protection: If you experience an accident and you’re at fault, the other motorist may seek damages for the incident. By having proper insurance, you may protect yourself and your assets during a situation like this.
How Much Is Insurance for a Tesla Model X?
How much insurance for a Tesla Model X costs can depend on who you are, where you live, and the amount of coverage you choose. The average state-minimum policy cost is $810 per year or $68 per month. The state minimum liability coverage usually doesn’t cover damages to your Model X, and only covers damages to others. Full coverage insurance for a Tesla Model X can cost about $4,559 per year or $380 per month. The full coverage option for this insurance is more expensive because the insurance company covers any damage to the Model X as well as provides liability coverage.
Why Is Insurance for the Model X Expensive?
The Model X is a luxury car with high value, so it makes sense that it costs more to insure it. The average cost to insure a Model X is $2,368 per year, which is $940 more than the average cost for other models. However, there are some additional reasons why it may be more expensive to insure a Model X than other vehicles, including:
- Repair costs: If a maintenance issue arises that’s covered by your insurance policy, it may cost more for the company to cover because Tesla parts can be more expensive. There may also be fewer technicians skilled at repairing Teslas, which can make the cost for repairs rise further.
- High value: The Tesla Model X is priced similarly to other luxury vehicles, which gives it a high value. This means it often costs more to insure because there’s more risk involved, and the insurance company may pay more to replace your Model X if totaled.
- Collision coverage: Because Tesla parts can be difficult to obtain and repair costs are high, collision coverage for a Tesla Model X insurance package often rises. This is because the company may pay more in the event of an accident to fully repair the Model X.
Tesla Model X Insurance Comparison
If you’re searching for the cheapest insurance for your Model X, comparing some insurance companies and their costs can help you understand how they stack up. Though USAA is on this list, it’s important to note that USAA policies are only available to United States veterans and their families. These are some common companies for Model X drivers and the insurance prices they offer:
- Progressive: $1,587 per year
- State Farm: $1,961 per year
- USAA: $2,018 per year
- GEICO: $2,328 per year
- Nationwide: $2,692 per year
- Allied: $2,841 per year
- Allstate: $3,408 per year
How To Find More Affordable Tesla Insurance
The first thing you can do to find more affordable Tesla insurance is to compare all your options before choosing a plan. During this process, ask the insurance agent for each company what they offer for safety discounts. The Tesla Model X comes with a variety of safety features, some of which may help you save on your car insurance costs. Below are some Tesla features that may help you lower your insurance premiums.
Electric or eco-friendly
Some insurance companies may offer you a discount for driving an electric vehicle. Insurance companies may do this to incentivize drivers to choose vehicles that require less maintenance and are better for the environment. Though not a part of insurance savings, some federal, state, and local governments may also offer a tax credit to those who purchase electric vehicles, which can help you reduce the total cost of maintaining your Model X.
The Tesla Model X comes with a variety of safety features, including Automatic Emergency Braking. It offers low rollover risk, side-impact protection, and front-impact protection from the sturdy exterior. Speak with an insurance agent about their safety discounts for Tesla safety features before choosing an insurance plan to optimize your savings.
Another way to get the cheapest insurance for your Model X is to bundle your car insurance with other offerings. For example, if you own a home or rent an apartment, you may purchase both your car insurance and home insurance from the same provider, allowing you to save. Speak with the insurance agents from each company to learn more about how all these discounts can function together and provide you with savings. By doing this, you can be sure you’re choosing the plan that makes sense for you.
What Is Tesla Insurance?
Tesla Insurance is an insurance option directly from Tesla that allows current and new Tesla owners to insure their vehicles. Depending on different factors, Tesla insurance may be more affordable than other options. If you’re a Tesla owner with other, non-Tesla vehicles, you can still use Tesla insurance to protect all your cars. Though this insurance has perks, it’s available in only select states, including:
The Tesla Model X is a luxury SUV that can take you where you want to go. Insuring it can help you protect yourself and others, and finding the best policy can help you protect your wallet, too.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.