Drivers in Texas are required, by state law, to have some type of auto insurance coverage, but your specific rates will vary greatly depending which city you reside in. If you’re a Dallas driver on a budget, you might wonder if it’s possible for you to save money on this necessary expense. Read on to learn more about the various cheap car insurance options that Dallas residents can purchase to help protect both themselves and others while enjoying the open road.
What Is Car Insurance?
Car insurance is a type of contract that can help cover some of your costs in the event of accidents, theft, or other incidents involving your vehicle. Once you choose a plan, you pay an insurance provider a premium and that provider agrees to help you pay for expenses incurred for various auto-related incidents or damage.
Types of Car Insurance Available in Dallas
Before you begin shopping for cheap car insurance in Dallas, it can be useful to know about the different types of insurance policies available to you. Some of the most common types of auto insurance policies Dallas residents purchase include:
- Bodily injury: Bodily injury coverage can pay for expenses related to physical injuries or the death of another person when you’re at fault in an accident.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist: When you’re in an auto accident where the other driver is at fault but doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your incurred damages, this type of coverage can help pay for your expenses.
- Collision: Collision coverage can provide financial support for car accidents, no matter whether you or someone else is at fault.
- Property damage: If you cause damage to another person’s car or other property during an auto-related incident, this type of policy can help you cover costs.
- Comprehensive: With comprehensive coverage, your auto insurance provider will pay for some expenses caused by situations beyond your control. Natural disasters, theft, and vandalism are all examples of circumstances that comprehensive auto coverage can help you with.
Minimum Car Insurance Coverage Needed in Dallas
Every state has different laws about what types of auto insurance its resident drivers need to operate their vehicles. Following are the minimum auto coverage requirements for Texas residents:
- $30,000 of liability coverage for injuries per person, up to $60,000 per accident
- $25,000 of liability coverage for property damage
Average Cost of Car Insurance
Knowing more about the typical price of auto insurance can give you a better idea of which coverage rates are considered cheap. How much your auto insurance policy costs can vary based on an array of factors, including your driving record, your age, and the type of coverage you want. Here are the average costs of auto coverage in Dallas, Texas, and across the country:
- Dallas: $1,680
- Texas: $1,415
- USA: $1,1548
Cheap Car Insurance Options for Dallas Residents
Following is a guide to cheap car insurance possibilities for Dallas drivers. Keep in mind that the cheapest option for your auto coverage might differ from the cheapest option for another Dallas driver, depending on factors like your demographics, driving history, and credit score.
Cheap Car Insurance in Dallas for Full Coverage
If you’re looking for the cheapest auto insurance option in Dallas, consider looking into Farmers Insurance policies. Their full coverage policy averages $875 for Dallas residents. If you’re a member of the military, a veteran, or an immediate family member of one of these, you might want to get a quote from USAA, as their average price for Dallas drivers is $974. Other cheap car insurance options Dallas residents might consider include:
Cheap Car Insurance in Dallas for Minimum Coverage
For those looking for an insurance provider that can give you good minimum coverage at a reasonable rate, get a quote from Farmers. The average cost of a minimum coverage policy through Farmers for Dallas residents is $453 annually. Here are the average prices of minimum coverage auto insurance plans through other providers with lower rates:
- USAA: $470
- State Farm: $547
- Geico: $550
- AAA: $628
- Loya Insurance Group: $727
Cheap Car Insurance in Dallas for Drivers with Violations
Having driving violations on your record can raise the cost of your insurance rates. For example, Dallas residents with a DUI pay an average of $2,614 per year for their auto insurance, while those with reckless driving charges pay $2,593 annually on avarage.
Luckily, it’s still possible to get reasonably priced auto insurance even if you have violations on your record. Here are the cheapest insurance providers for Dallas drivers with various violations, based on their average policy prices:
- Drivers with an at-fault accident: Dallas residents who have an at-fault accident on their driving record might want to get a policy from Farmers. Clients in Dallas with an at-fault accident pay an average of $1,241 each year for their auto insurance from Farmers.
- Drivers with a DUI: At an average cost of $2,134 per year, Loya Insurance Group typically offers Dallas drivers with a DUI the lowest insurance price.
- Drivers with a speeding ticket: If you have a speeding ticket, consider looking into auto insurance policies from State Farm. On average, Dallas drivers with a speeding ticket pay $1,034 for their car coverage.
Cheap Car Insurance in Dallas for Young Drivers
Across the country, young drivers typically pay more for their auto insurance. Young Dallas residents pay, on average, $8,171 annually for full coverage. With an average yearly rate of $3,365 for young Dallas drivers, Loya Insurance Group may be the cheapest option for cheap car insurance for this demographic. Other insurance providers that young drivers might turn to for lower auto insurance rates in Dallas include:
- USAA: $2,866
- State Farm: $4,589
- GEICO: $5,227
- Chubb: $8,209
Cheap Car Insurance in Dallas for Drivers With Poor Credit
Most auto insurance providers raise the prices of their policies for drivers with poor credit. Dallas residents with poor credit pay an average of $3,859 per year for their car insurance. Loya Insurance Group may offer the cheapest rates for Dallas drivers with bad credit, as their average annual auto policy cost for this demographic is $1,247. Here are some other insurance providers with below-average car coverage prices for Dallas drivers:
- USAA: $2,233
- State Farm: $2,312
- Nationwide: $3,142
- GEICO: $3,489
Having a great auto insurance policy doesn’t have to mean breaking the bank. Armed with our guide to cheap car insurance for Dallas residents, you’ll be able to go out and bask in the freedom of the open road while paying reasonable rates for your car coverage.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.