The Toyota Tacoma is an affordable and reliable truck for those who want capability and style in their vehicle. If you have a Tacoma or you’re thinking about buying one, you may want to learn more about how much it will cost to insure it and what may affect your policy. Here’s everything you need to know about finding affordable coverage for your Tacoma.
Why Buy the Toyota Tacoma?
Toyotas are known for their reliability, and the Tacoma is no exception. You may choose a Tacoma because of its rugged durability and its ability to maintain value even as you add miles. With off-roading capabilities and a comfortable interior, the Tacoma is a great option for anyone who wants a truck they can count on.
Importance of Insuring Your Tacoma
If you just purchased a Tacoma, you may be considering different insurance plans and determining which is best for you. It’s important to remember that insurance is a vital part of owning a vehicle and not an expense that you can forgo. Here are some reasons to get Toyota Tacoma car insurance:
- Law: Many areas require you to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance to drive. It’s important to insure your Tacoma to comply with local rules and to protect yourself in case of an accident.
- Repairs: Insuring your Tacoma can help protect you from the sudden cost of repairs. For example, if someone hits your truck or a tree branch falls on it, insurance can help you repair or replace the vehicle without jeopardizing your wallet.
- Finances: When you’re in an accident, you may be liable for the damages and legal fees other people incur. Insurance can help you protect your finances by taking on the liability in these situations.
- Lenders: If you have a loan for your Tacoma, your lender may require you to have additional insurance. This helps them protect their investment and ensure they aren’t left with a loan and no collateral if the vehicle is damaged or destroyed.
How Much Does It Cost To Insure a Toyota Tacoma?
The cost for Toyota Tacoma car insurance can depend on factors like where you live, how old you are, and what your driving habits are like. The average cost to insure a Toyota Tacoma is $1,627 per year or $136 per month, which is $7 more expensive than the average vehicle. The age of your truck can also affect how much you pay for insurance. This is how much it costs for a 40- to 49-year-old truck owner to insure Tacomas of different model years:
- 2010: $95.61 per month
- 2011: $85.79 per month
- 2012: $111.02 per month
- 2013: $108.26 per month
- 2014: $107.97 per month
- 2015: $109.95 per month
- 2016: $113.46 per month
- 2017: $121.44 per month
- 2018: $130.23 per month
- 2019: $132.82 per month
- 2020: $131.82 per month
- 2021: $129.53 per month
- 2022: $134.91 per month
Tacoma Insurance Comparison
When looking for Toyota Tacoma car insurance, it’s important to compare rates from different companies to see which can offer you the best plan. It’s also important to understand their specific qualifications. For example, USAA plans are available only to military members, veterans, and their families. Some insurance companies may be better for you than others depending on your specific situation, and it’s always helpful to get a personalized quote from each company to gain a more accurate comparison. Here are some popular insurance companies and how much it costs on average to insure a Tacoma with each:
- Allied: $1,455 per year
- Allstate: $1,411 per year
- GEICO: $976 per year
- Nationwide: $1,273 per year
- Progressive: $1,132 per year
- State Farm: $1,199 per year
- USAA: $1,017 per year
What Affects Tacoma Insurance Costs?
When insurance companies determine your insurance costs, they want to be sure what you pay can cover the price of protecting you and your vehicle. Here are some factors that may affect the price of your insurance:
- Trim: The trim level is the specific version of Tacoma that you have. It determines which extra features the truck has. Different trims may have more safety features or be worth more, which can affect the price of your insurance.
- Deductible: The deductible is the amount you pay on a claim before the insurance company covers the rest. The higher this number is, the less you pay each month, but it’s always important that you can cover the deductible.
- Age: How old you are can affect how much you pay for insurance, as insurance companies may determine that older drivers have more experience and are more likely to drive safely than young drivers. As you age, you may experience lower insurance costs.
- Driving: Your driving style may affect how much you pay for insurance if you opt into a safe driving program. Your driving record plays a large role in this. Drivers with clean records often get discounts, while drivers with accidents and violations can expect to pay more.
- Location: Where you live may also determine your insurance prices, as it may be riskier to live in an area with high traffic, theft, and vandalism rates.
Though there are several factors with insurance that you can’t control, by choosing the Tacoma, you may gain access to some insurance perks. Insurance companies may be more likely to lower the insurance cost for safer vehicles, and many versions of the Tacoma come with several safety features. Here are some features on the Tacoma that may help you lower your insurance costs:
- Collision detection: Toyota has a system called Safety Sense that detects obstacles in front of the vehicle and provides a warning prior to a collision. This can help drivers avoid hitting other cars, pedestrians, and objects.
- Lane departure warning: This feature warns the driver when the vehicle begins to drift outside the lane lines. This is helpful to ensure the driver is attentive and driving safely.
- Several airbags: Airbags can help reduce the amount of injury to drivers and passengers during crashes, so insurance companies may reduce prices for vehicles with reliable airbag safety systems.
- Dynamic cruise control: The radar cruise control in some versions of the Tacoma helps drivers maintain a safe distance from the car in front of them. This can help to reduce collisions and may lower your insurance cost.
The Toyota Tacoma is a reliable vehicle for those who need durability and style. By finding the best insurance package for your Tacoma, you can protect your vehicle and everyone on the road with you.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.