All Washington drivers must purchase auto insurance coverage that meets the state’s minimum requirements. Identifying a cheap Washington insurance policy includes researching each provider, identifying their premiums, and understanding other factors affecting these costs. Washington currently has a $463 average for minimum policies and $1,176 for full coverage. Thankfully, you can identify cheap car insurance in Washington that meets your coverage needs by doing some research and taking a few simple steps.
Cheap Car Insurance in Washington
Car insurance companies may provide varying quotes that may feel confusing when you’re shopping for a policy. Comparing these prices can help you understand your options and find coverage that suits your financial situation. The average cost of a minimum car insurance policy in Washington from various insurers is:
- State Farm: $413 per year or $34 per month
- Progressive: $479 per year or $40 per month
- Mutual of Enumclaw: $526 per year or $44 per month
- GEICO: $539 per year or $45 per month
- Farmers: $792 per year or $66 per month
- American Family: $810 per year or $68 per month
- Allstate: $841 per year or $70 per month
- USAA: $341 per year or $28 per month
When buying full coverage car insurance in Washington, the average cost by the insurer is:
- State Farm: $982 per year or $82 per month
- GEICO: $1,156 per year or $96 per month
- Mutual of Enumclaw: $1,177 per year or $98 per month
- Progressive: $1,424 per year or $119 per month
- Allstate: $1,683 per year or $140 per month
- American Family: $1,761 per year or $147 per month
- Farmers: $2,624 per year or $219 per month
- USAA: $1,016 per year or $85 per month
Full insurance coverage includes protection that minimum coverage does not. These options include collision and comprehensive policies that protect you in specific situations.
Minimum Car Insurance Coverage in Washington
Washington has specific coverage minimums that even cheap policies must provide. These coverage minimums are:
- $25,000 bodily injury per person
- $50,000 bodily injury per accident
- $10,000 property damage per accident
This coverage is available on Washington’s cheapest car insurance policies but may not cover all circumstances. For example, in Washington, you may raise your bodily injury limits to $300,000 per person and $500,000 per accident. You may also raise your property damage limitation to $100,000. Raising these coverage options will increase your payments, so consider your needs before buying a policy.
Optional Car Insurance Options in Washington
When seeking the best car insurance in Washington, you may identify optional coverage that you can add to your policy. These protection types will help in specific circumstances, though they may raise your premium.
Comprehensive car policies cover damage to your vehicle from non-collision situations. These include theft, weather events, and vandalism. The coverage limits are like standard policies, though they vary depending on your provider.
This policy type will cover damage to your car caused by colliding with another vehicle or object. It does not cover damage to other vehicles, as your standard liability protection provides those payments.
Gap coverage will pay the difference between what you owe on a car loan and the car’s actual value. Drivers in Washington buy this policy to ensure that they get a replacement vehicle that meets their driving needs.
Medical payment insurance policies cover the medical expenses for you and anyone else in your vehicle. They protect you regardless of who is at fault in the accident. These policies do not cover injuries to people in other vehicles.
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists
These policies will protect you if an underinsured or uninsured motorist causes an accident. They will help pay for damage to your vehicle, medical treatment, and property damage. Note that these policies do not cover any accidents that you cause.
Roadside assistance policies help you when your car breaks down while on the road. This protection will cover problems like flat tires, dead batteries, and towing expenses.
Factors That Affect Insurance Premiums
Multiple factors may affect your insurance premiums and cause you to pay more money. These factors include:
- Accident history. If you experience one or more accidents, your premiums may increase.
- Driving record. You may have lower premiums if you have a clean driving record with minimal tickets. Offenses like a DUI will generally increase your premiums.
- Insurance history. Lapsed insurance policies or missed payments may raise your premium.
- Location. Living in a big city with many accidents may affect your premium rates.
- Vehicle type. Some vehicles are more prone to theft or accidents and may require higher premiums.
- Vehicle age. Older vehicles may cost less to insure than newer vehicles.
- Driver’s age. Younger and older drivers may pay more for their premiums than others.
- Deductible. Higher deductibles may decrease your premium costs.
- Credit score. Poor credit scores may raise your premium rates.
Car Insurance Discounts for Washington Drivers
Washington insurance companies may provide multiple insurance discounts based on various factors. Check these discounts to see whether you qualify:
- Green driver discounts. Washington insurers may provide a 10% discount on premiums for people who own a hybrid vehicle.
- Low mileage discounts. Those who drive a below-average number of miles (no more than 7,500 to 15,000 per year, depending on the insurer) may earn up to a 30% discount on their premiums from insurers.
- Good driver discounts. Some insurers may provide discounts for drivers who keep a safe record for three or more years.
- Senior driver discounts. Seniors over 50 years old may earn mature driver, low-mileage, and retired military member discounts in Washington.
- Defensive driver discounts. Drivers who voluntarily take a defensive driving course may earn insurance discounts.
Your savings may vary based on the insurance company, so make sure you research your options before buying a policy. Some may provide all of these discounts or only a few, making research vitally important.
Hopefully, this article will help you find cheap car insurance in Washington that suits your driving needs. Always compare various quotes between different providers to ensure that you find the best deal and avoid paying too much for your coverage.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.