What Used Cars Are the Cheapest to Insure in Alabama?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Alabama? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Alabama and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Alabama Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
1. 2021 Bronco Sport by Ford
Ford’s 2021 Bronco Sport is a four-door SUV. It’s the cheapest used vehicle to insure in Alabama. A full coverage policy for it is $81 monthly, and a liability-only policy costs $40 monthly. The state’s average full-coverage policy is $154 a month, so you may pay about $73 less with a Bronco Sport.
The Ford Bronco Sport is a Top Safety Pick+ award winner because of its safety features and crash test results. It gets 25 mpg on city streets and 28 mpg on the highway. The vehicle seats five people.
2. 2021 XC40 by Volvo
Volvo’s 2021 XC40 is the second cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Alabama. This compact four-door SUV costs $87 monthly for full coverage insurance, with a liability-only policy running $49 monthly. The full-coverage policy is about $67 less than the state’s average.
The XC40 is also a Top Safety Pick+ award winner. It gets 23 mpg on city streets and 30 mpg on the highway. A hybrid version is also available.
3. 2021 Forester by Subaru
The 2021 Subaru Forester is the third cheapest vehicle to insure in Alabama. You can insure this small SUV for $93 per month for a full coverage policy. Each month, you may save about $61 with this vehicle compared to the state’s average. If you prefer liability coverage, you’ll pay $44 monthly.
Gas mileage for the Subaru Forester is 26 mpg on city streets and 33 mpg on the highway. This vehicle offers a variety of safety features, including EyeSight Driver Assist Technology, Subaru Rear Vehicle Detection, and Active Hazard Avoidance.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Alabama
We used the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety‘s (IIHS) 2021 TOP SAFETY PICK+ list to find the 45 most affordable vehicles to insure in Alabama. We ranked them by their full-coverage policy costs. We also provided quotes for liability-only policies so you can compare coverage costs.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance is cheaper than full coverage because a full-coverage policy covers more situations. Liability insurance generally covers damage and injury to others if you are at fault for an accident. These are Alabama’s average costs for insurance policies.
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
The Best Alabama Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Alabama are Progressive, Nationwide, and State Farm.
We determined which companies are the best based on market share and the NAIC’s Complaint Index. We examined companies with the most market share in Alabama.
Companies with lower Complaint Index numbers indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants. You can see all the rankings below.
|Insurance Company||Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||Complaint Index|
|Alfa Mutual Group||14.13||N/A||1.36|
|Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (Geico)||10.84||N/A||2.04|
|National General Holdings Corp.||2.90||N/A||6.43|
Disclaimer: This table uses Complaint Index data, which are national numbers from the NAIC.
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Alabama
Drivers in Alabama can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Ask for auto insurance quotes from multiple companies to compare coverage.
- Avoid tickets, traffic infractions, DUIs, and other problems to keep your premium low.
- Adjust your deductible to meet your desired premium.
- Get discounts by maintaining a good driving record and good grades if you’re a student.
- Bundling your insurance policies can help you save money.
We used an Alabama address to identify the cheapest used vehicles to insure. Since we focused on Alabama data, our information is more accurate for the state’s policyholders than national averages. Premiums vary significantly between states.
We input a list of 45 vehicles through an insurance quote generator using an Alabama address and a basic driver profile. Here’s the information we used:
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 TOP SAFETY PICK+ list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Alabama?
The most affordable SUV to insure in Alabama is the Ford Bronco Sport. You can get a full-coverage policy for $81.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Yes, older cars are generally cheaper to insure because they cost less to replace and pose a lower financial risk to insurance companies.
How much liability insurance is required in Alabama?
In Alabama, all drivers must carry a 25/50/25 liability insurance policy. You must carry $25,000 in bodily injury liability per person, $50,000 in bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 in property damage.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Alabama?
If you are caught driving without insurance in Alabama, you could face suspension of your vehicle’s registration. You must pay $200 to reinstate your registration and show proof of insurance. Another violation results in a $400 reinstatement fee following a four-month registration suspension.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
Basic vehicle insurance includes a liability policy. Liability insurance covers property damage and bodily injury you are responsible for. If you have a loan on your vehicle, your lender may also require you to carry comprehensive collision coverage.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Some vehicles have higher insurance rates because they cost more to replace. Sports cars, luxury vehicles, and rare automobiles (such as classic cars) cost more to insure with a full coverage policy.
- (2022). 2021 Top Safety Picks. IIHS. Retrieved April 1, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021
- (2023). Average Cost of Car Insurance in Alabama in 2023. Bankrate. Retrieved April 1, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-alabama/
- (2019). Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Alabama. EverQuote. Retrieved April 1, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-alabama/
- (2023). Automobile Insurance FAQs. Alabama Department of Insurance. Retrieved April 1, 2023, from https://www.aldoi.gov/consumers/AutoFAQ.aspx
- (2019). Alabama Car Insurance Law Changing Jan. 1. AL.com. Retrieved April 1, 2023, from https://www.al.com/news/2019/12/alabama-car-insurance-law-changing-jan-1.html
- (2019). Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Alabama. EverQuote. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-alabama/
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.