What Used Cars Are the Cheapest to Insure in Arkansas?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Arkansas? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Arkansas and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Arkansas Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
We reviewed 45 vehicles from the 2021 model year. To determine the most affordable insurance rates for Arkansas drivers, we entered a basic driver profile for each vehicle into an insurance quote generator. The following are the three used vehicles with the least expensive monthly rates.
1. 2021 Insight by Honda
The cheapest vehicle to insure in Arkansas is the 2021 Honda Insight, a four-door compact car that seats five. Full coverage for the Insight costs $27 a month, well below the state average of $158 a month. Liability-only coverage is $17 a month.
With its hybrid powertrain, the Insight can get up to 55 mpg in the city and 49 mpg on the highway. The Insight is an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) 2021 Top Safety Pick+.
2. 2021 Bronco Sport by Ford
The second cheapest vehicle to insure in Arkansas is the 2021 Ford Bronco Sport, which is available as a two-door or four-door SUV. A full-coverage policy for the Bronco Sport is $67 a month, which is lower than the state average for Arkansas. Liability-only coverage is $17.
The Bronco Sport can get up to 25 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway, and it earned a spot on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list.
3. 2021 CX-30 by Mazda
The third cheapest vehicle to insure in Arkansas is the 2021 Mazda CX-30, a four-door crossover SUV that seats five. Full coverage for the CX-30 costs $74 a month, which is below the state average of $158 a month. Liability-only coverage is $21 monthly.
The CX-30 can get up to 25 mpg in the city and up to 33 mpg on the highway. It’s also on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Arkansas
We selected 45 vehicles from the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ list, which is arranged by class, starting with small cars. Our selection includes vehicles from several classes, ensuring a variety of affordable vehicles for Arkansas drivers.
To determine the most accurate quotes for Arkansas, we combined an Arkansas address with a basic driver profile to generate monthly costs for full coverage and liability-only coverage.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
|2021||Volvo||V60 Cross Country||$112.00||$25.00|
|2021||Volvo||V90 Cross Country||$139.00||$24.00|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance is cheaper than full coverage. That’s because liability only covers the other driver if you’re responsible for an accident, while full coverage protects your vehicle in the event of an accident, natural disaster, or theft.
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
The Best Arkansas Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Arkansas are Southern Farm Bureau, State Farm, and Shelter Insurance.
We identified these companies as the best in Arkansas by looking at which companies have the biggest market share in the state, according to Everquote. Then we looked at the National Association of Insurance Commissioners Complaint Index for each company.
The average complaint index is one, meaning that any company with a higher index has received more customer complaints than expected. Companies with a lower Complaint Index indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants. You can see all of the rankings below.
|Insurance Company||Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||Complaint Index|
|Southern Farm Bureau||13.17%||N/A||0|
*Complaint Index data are national numbers from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Arkansas
Drivers in Arkansas can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Shop around for a new provider.
- Ask your agent about discounts relevant to your profession or military status.
- Increase your deductible.
- Make an effort to improve your credit score.
We used an in-state address to help Arkansas drivers determine which pre-owned vehicles are the least expensive to insure. Using an Arkansas address gives us more relevant information than using national averages because premiums vary from state to state.
We combined the Arkansas address with a basic driver profile to generate insurance quotes for 45 vehicles, then selected the lowest quote for each vehicle.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Arkansas?
The cheapest SUV to insure in Arkansas is the 2021 Bronco Sport. Full coverage for the Bronco Sport costs $804 ($67 a month).
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Older cars are cheaper to insure because older cars don’t cost as much to repair or replace. Plus, your car depreciates as it ages, costing your provider less money when an accident occurs.
How much liability insurance is required in Arkansas?
Arkansas requires every driver to carry a certain amount of liability insurance. Those include $25,000 per person for bodily injury, $50,000 per accident, and $25,000 to cover damage to others’ property.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Arkansas?
The penalty for driving without insurance in Arkansas for first-time offenders is a fine of $50 to $250 (unless proof of insurance is provided within 30 days), registration suspension, possible vehicle impoundment, a $100 reinstatement fee, and towing and storage fees if the vehicle is impounded.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
Liability insurance is basic insurance for a car, and it covers damage to the other driver’s car and their medical care if you’re responsible for an accident. Your lender or lease company may require you to carry additional insurance, such as a comprehensive collision policy.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Sports cars, luxury vehicles, and rare automobiles have the highest insurance rates. That’s because they are more expensive to repair and replace.
- (2023.) Personalized quotes. Experian. Retrieved March 4, 2023, from https://insurance.experian.com/sign-up/carrier
- (2020.) 2021 Honda Insight Owner’s Manual. Honda. Retrieved March 5, 2023, from http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATXM2121OM/enu/ATXM2121OM.PDF
- (2021.) 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Brochure. Ford. Retrieved March 5, 2023, from https://www.joecottonford.com/resrc/media/pdf/2021_Ford_Bronco_Packaging_Guide.pdf
- (2019.) 2021 Mazda CX-30 Brochure. Mazda. Retrieved March 5, 2023, from https://dealerinspire-brochure.s3.amazonaws.com/2282.pdf
- (2021.) 2021 Top Safety Picks+. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved March 4, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021?tspPlusOnly#award-winners
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Arkansas. Everquote. Retrieved March 5, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-arkansas/
- (2023.) Consumer Insurance Search Results. National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Retrieved March 5, 2023, from https://content.naic.org/cis_refined_results.htm
- (2023.) Average Cost of Car Insurance in Arkansas. Bankrate. Retrieved March 5, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-arkansas/
- (2023.) Penalties for Driving without Insurance in Arkansas. ValuePenguin. Retrieved March 5, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/auto-insurance/arkansas/penalties-driving-without-insurance
- (2023.) Consumers FAQ. Arkansas Insurance Department. Retrieved March 5, 2023, from https://insurance.arkansas.gov/consumer-services/consumer-services/consumers-faq/
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.