What Used Cars Are the Cheapest To Insure in Delaware?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Delaware? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Delaware and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Delaware Cheapest Used Cars To Insure
We reviewed 45 vehicles between 2020 and 2022 and used a basic driver profile in Dover, Delaware, to identify the cheapest-to-insure vehicles. We then put all this through an online insurance quote generator to find the cheapest used cars to insure in Delaware.
1. 2021 Bronco Sport by Ford
The Ford Bronco Sport is the cheapest used vehicle to insure in Delaware. This SUV offers standard all-wheel drive, and costs around $95.44 monthly for a full-coverage insurance policy. This is lower than the state average of $175.25 per month. A liability-only policy is $62.11 per month.
The Bronco Sport is an Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Pick+ award winner. This stylish SUV is also an efficient choice with an EPA rating of 26 combined city/highway mpg.
2. 2021 Trailblazer by Chevrolet
The Chevrolet Trailblazer is the second cheapest used vehicle to insure in Delaware. A full-coverage policy on this four door SUV is $99.33 per month, much lower compared to Delaware’s average of $175.25. A liability-only policy on the Trailblazer is $66.93 monthly.
The Chevrolet Trailblazer is also an IIHS Top Safety Pick+ award winner and offers an EPA rating of 28 combined city/highway mpg.
3. 2021 Palisade by Hyundai
The Hyundai Palisade is the third cheapest used car to insure in Delaware. This modern three-row SUV costs $101 a month for a full-coverage policy, which is less than the state’s average of $175.25 per month. A liability-only insurance policy on the Palisade is $66.56 per month.
The Hyundai Palisade is an IIHS Top Safety Pick+ award winner and offers an efficiency rating of up to 22 combined city/highway mpg.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles To Insure in Delaware
We compiled a list of the cheapest used vehicles to insure in Delaware using an online quote generator for 45 of the top IIHS picks. Using this information, we organized the full-coverage rates from the cheapest to the most expensive. Here are the 45 cheapest used vehicles to insure in Delaware:
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance is cheaper than full coverage because it doesn’t cover property damage, theft, or weather-related damage. Here are the average monthly prices for car insurance in Delaware:
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
The Best Delaware Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Delaware are Nationwide, State Farm, and USAA. We chose these based on their market share and complaint index data. We obtained the market share of each insurance company using Everquote and then researched the complaint index based on the national average.
A complaint index of over 1.0 means the company has more complaints than the median. Companies with higher market share percentages and lower complaint index numbers indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants. You can see all of the rankings below:
Market Share in Delaware
Percent of Total Complaints
Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
The complaint index data listed above is from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Tips To Lower Insurance Premiums in Delaware
Drivers in Delaware can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Maintain a clean driving record free of accidents or traffic violations.
- Price shop quotes among multiple insurance companies in Delaware.
- Choose a used vehicle equipped with a lot of safety features.
- Bundle your homeowners or renters insurance policy with your auto policy.
We chose the 45 cheapest used cars to insure in Delaware using an in-state address to generate quotes for each vehicle. Premiums can vary across states, so focusing on data from Delaware helps us get the most accurate information possible. We generated insurance quotes using the following profile:
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Delaware?
The cheapest small-size SUV to insure in Delaware is the Ford Bronco Sport. A full-coverage policy on a Ford Bronco Sport in Delaware is $95.44 per month, much cheaper than the state average of $175.25.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Older cars are cheaper to insure in Delaware because they carry less financial risk. The insurance company will typically offer Delaware drivers a lower rate on used vehicles since the cost of replacement and repair is less.
How much liability insurance is required in Delaware?
Delaware requires a minimum of:
- $25,000 bodily injury coverage per person
- $50,000 bodily injury or death per accident
- $10,000 property damage per accident
- $15,000 personal injury protection per person
- $30,000 personal injury protection per accident
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Delaware?
Driving without insurance in Delaware can result in a $1,500 fine for the first offense. Each subsequent offense leads to a $3,000 fine. The state will also suspend the offender’s license for six months.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
Liability insurance is also known as basic car insurance. Liability insurance covers you financially if you cause bodily or property damage to another driver. If you have an auto loan on your vehicle, you may be required to carry additional insurance, including comprehensive or collision insurance.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Delaware drivers will find the highest rates on sports or luxury cars. Insurance companies typically charge more to insure these vehicles because they’re more expensive to repair or replace.
- (2023). Average Cost of Car Insurance in Delaware in 2023. Bankrate. Retrieved April 2, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-delaware/
- (2023.) Fuel Economy Ratings. U.S. Department of Energy. Retrieved April 2, 2023, from https://www.fueleconomy.gov/
- (2022.) 2021 Top Safety Picks. IIHS HLDI. Retrieved April 2, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021?tspPlusOnly#award-winners
- (2023.) Vehicle Services Registration. Delaware.gov. Retrieved April 2, 2023, from https://www.dmv.de.gov/VehicleServices/registration/index.shtml
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Delaware. Everquote.com. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-delaware/
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.