What Used Cars are the Cheapest to Insure in Florida?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Florida? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Florida and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Florida’s Cheapest Used Cars To Insure
To unveil the cheapest cars to insure in Florida, we created a basic driver profile with generic credentials. Then we ran 45 vehicles included in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list through an instant insurance quote generator.
Below are the top three cheapest used cars to insure in the state.
1. 2021-22 Crosstrek Hybrid by Subaru
The 2021-22 Crosstrek Hybrid by Subaru is a small, four-door SUV, the cheapest pre-owned car to insure in Florida. This model costs just $49.35 a month to insure with a full-coverage policy, which is much lower than the average monthly cost of $265.25 in Florida. A liability-only policy for this vehicle costs $29.13 monthly.
The Crosstrek Hybrid won a 2021 Top Safety Pick+ award due to its excellent crash safety and avoidance.
2. 2021-22 Outback by Subaru
The 2021-22 Outback by Subaru is a midsize, four-door SUV. This model is the second-cheapest pre-owned car to insure in Florida. A monthly full-coverage policy for this vehicle only costs $53.21, which is still much lower than the average in Florida, and a liability-only policy costs $32.90 a month.
The Outback also won a 2021 Top Safety Pick+ award because it has good safety features, such as blind-spot detection and sufficient crash safety.
3. 2021-22 Trailblazer by Chevrolet
The 2021-22 Chevrolet Trailblazer is a small, four-door SUV, the third-cheapest pre-owned car to insure in Florida. This model costs $58.32 a month for a full-coverage policy in Florida, compared to the statewide average of $265.25 per month. A liability-only policy costs $38.98 monthly.
This vehicle is also on the IIHS’s Top Safety Pick+ list thanks to its top-of-the-line crashworthiness scores.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles To Insure in Florida
To gather accurate policy estimates for the cheapest cars to insure in Florida, we ran 45 vehicles mentioned in the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list through an insurance quote generator. Each model has been ranked in ascending order of its full-coverage policy costs.
We have also included liability-only quotes so you can compare insurance prices.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only policies cost less than full-coverage policies. This is because liability-only policies provide limited protection whereas full coverage protects you in more varied situations.
The following table presents the average monthly cost of both full-coverage insurance and liability-only insurance in Florida.
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
The Best Florida Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Florida are Berkshire Hathaway Inc., Progressive, and State Farm.
We used EverQuote to identify the market share for each company listed below and researched the National Association of Insurance Commissioners’ (NAIC) complaint index ratings for each company.
Companies with higher market share percentages and lower complaint index numbers indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants. You can see all of the rankings below.
|Insurance Company||Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||Complaint Index|
|Berkshire Hathaway Inc.||25.23%||N/A||N/A|
|National General Holdings Corp.||1.98%||N/A||6.43|
Disclaimer: The complaint index data comes from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Florida
Drivers in Florida can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Shop around for the cheapest quotes.
- Maintain a clean driving record.
- Improve your credit score.
- Opt for an auto and home insurance bundle.
We used a Florida address to identify the cheapest used vehicles to insure so that we had the most relevant and accurate data for Florida drivers. We applied this address and a basic driver profile to 45 vehicles detailed in the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list into an insurance quote generator.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Florida?
The Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid is the cheapest SUV model to insure in Florida. A full-coverage policy for this vehicle costs $49.35 per month, while a liability-only policy costs $29.13 per month.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Older cars are cheaper to insure because they are less valuable when compared to newer vehicles, making them less of a financial risk and cheaper to repair or replace.
How much liability insurance is required in Florida?
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles states residents of Florida should have at least $10,000 of liability insurance for personal injury protection and $10,000 for property damage liability. Compared to most states, you don’t need bodily injury coverage in Florida.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Florida?
The penalty for driving without insurance in Florida is a $150 reinstatement fee. For repeat offenders within a three-year time span, the penalty is $250 for your second offense or $500 for your third. A license can be reinstated after the offender pays the fine and shows proof of auto insurance.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
Liability-only coverage is the most basic car insurance plan. This covers the cost of compensation to a third party for loss of or damage to property and personal injury. Lenders will likely require comprehensive and collision in addition to liability coverage.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Due to their value, luxury sports cars and rare collectible vehicles often have the highest insurance rates. This is mainly because these cars cost more to repair and replace.
- (2023.) Average cost of car insurance in Florida in 2023. Bankrate. Retrieved 04/05/23 from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-florida/
- (n.d.) Florida Insurance Requirements. Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Retrieved 04/05/23 from https://www.flhsmv.gov/insurance/
- (2022.) Penalties for Driving without Insurance in Florida. ValuePenguin. Retrieved 04/05/23 from https://www.valuepenguin.com/auto-insurance/florida/penalties-driving-without-insurance
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Florida. EverQuote. Retrieved 04/05/23 from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-florida/
- (2021.) 2021 Top Safety Pick+. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Retrieved 04/05/23 from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021
- (n.d.) Chapter 2: Your Driving Privilege. State of Florida. Retrieved 04/05/23 from https://www.stateofflorida.com/driving-privilege/
- (2023.) Progressive Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved 04/11/23 from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/progressive-insurance-13015814i
- (2023.) State Farm Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved 04/11/23 from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/statefarm-13017237i
- (2023.) USAA Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved 04/11/23 from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/usaa-insurance-13303847i
- (2023.) Travelers Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved 04/11/23 from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/travelers-insurance-13303756i
- (2023.) National General Holdings Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved 04/11/23 from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/national-general-insurance-13015830i
- (2023.) Kemper Auto Insurance Review: Quotes and Service. Money Geek. Retrieved 04/11/23 from https://www.moneygeek.com/insurance/auto/reviews/kemper/
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.