What Used Cars Are the Cheapest To Insure in Hawaii?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Hawaii? We researched insurance quotes in Hawaii to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Hawaii and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Hawaii Cheapest Used Cars To Insure
To identify the cheapest used cars to insure in Hawaii, we reviewed 45 vehicles from the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list.
We then created a basic driver profile and ran each model through an insurance quote generator to retrieve the monthly cost of both full-coverage policies and liability-only policies.
Here are the top three cheapest used cars to insure in Hawaii:
1. 2021 XC60 by Volvo
The Volvo XC60 is the cheapest car to insure in Hawaii. This vehicle is a midsize SUV with four doors. A full-coverage policy for this model costs $70.52 per month, which is cheaper than $106.25, the average monthly cost of a policy in Hawaii. A liability-only policy is $35.84 for the XC60.
This car was included in the IIHS’s 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list due to its front-crash prevention and overall crash worthiness.
2. 2021-22 XC90 by Volvo
The Volvo XC90 is the second-cheapest car to insure in Hawaii. This vehicle is a four-door midsize SUV that costs $72.69 per month for full-coverage insurance and $35.84 per month for liability-only coverage. This is much better than the average monthly cost of a full-coverage policy in Hawaii.
This model received the best score of “good” score for its crash worthiness from the IIHS, earning it a Top Safety Pick+ award.
3. 2021 NX by Lexus
The Lexus NX is a four-door SUV that is ranked the third-cheapest vehicle to insure in Hawaii. This model costs $77.52 per month for a full-coverage policy, cheaper than the average $106.25 monthly cost of a full-coverage policy in Hawaii. Liability-only coverage is $35.84 per month.
This car was awarded a Top Safety Pick+ designation due to its crash-avoidance and mitigation features.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles To Insure in Hawaii
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list to find policy estimates for both full coverage and liability-only coverage in Hawaii.
We created a basic driver profile, ran 45 of the cars on the list through an instant insurance quote generator, and ranked the results in ascending order of full-coverage policy costs.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
In most cases, a liability-only policy is cheaper than a full-coverage policy because it provides less financial protection than a full-coverage policy. The following table demonstrates the average monthly cost of full-coverage and liability-only insurance in Hawaii:
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
The Best Hawaii Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Hawaii are Berkshire Hathaway Inc., State Farm, and USAA.
We have identified the market share for each insurance company listed below from Everquote and conducted additional research to identify the complaint index for each insurer. Companies with high market shares and lower complaint index numbers indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants.
You can see all of the rankings below:
|Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||
|Berkshire Hathaway Inc.||27.16%||N/A||N/A|
|Island Insurance Companies||3.22%||N/A||N/A|
Disclaimer: The figures shown in the complaint index column are National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) ratings.
Tips To Lower Insurance Premiums in Hawaii
Drivers in Hawaii can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Maintain a clean driving record.
- Boost your credit score.
- Opt for a less valuable vehicle.
- Compare multiple quotes to pinpoint the cheapest insurance premiums.
To gather quotes, we used an in-state address to find the cheapest used vehicles to insure, as this would provide the most relevant data for drivers in Hawaii. We applied this address and a basic driver profile to input the 45 vehicles mentioned in this article through an insurance quote generator.
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Hawaii?
The cheapest SUV vehicle to insure in Hawaii is the Volvo XC60. This model costs $70.52 per month for a full-coverage policy and $35.84 per month for a liability-only policy.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Yes, older cars are often cheaper to insure than newer models. This is because older vehicles are less valuable and therefore cost less to repair or replace.
How much liability insurance is required in Hawaii?
In Hawaii, it is a legal requirement to have a minimum coverage of $10,000 per person for personal injury protection. Drivers must also have a minimum coverage of $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident for bodily injury liability.
Additionally, residents must have a property damage liability of at least $10,000 per occurrence.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Hawaii?
First-time offenders are obligated to pay a $500 penalty for driving without insurance in Hawaii. Second-time offenders must pay between $1,500 and $5,000, depending on the context of their situation. If a driver has had their license suspended, they must reinstate it before they drive again.
To do this, a driver must purchase an auto insurance policy that adheres to Hawaii’s minimum coverage requirements. They must also arrange for an insurer to file an SR-22 certificate, which must then be upheld for three years onward.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
Liability-only policies are the most basic insurance for cars. This insurance option will cover injuries and property damage. A lender may require comprehensive and collision insurance to ensure a vehicle is replaced or repaired in the event of an accident.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Sports cars and luxury vehicles have the highest insurance rates. This is because they cost a significant amount of money and often have rare features that cost more to replace in the event of an accident.
- (n.d.) Progressive. Retrieved April 6, 2023, from www.progressive.com
- (2023.) Average cost of car insurance in Hawaii for 2023.Bankrate. Retrieved April 6, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-hawaii/
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Hawaii. Everquote. Retrieved April 6, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-hawaii/
- (n.d.) Motor Vehicle Insurance Information. Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. Retrieved April 6, 2023, from https://cca.hawaii.gov/ins/consumers/mvi/
- (n.d.) §431:10C-117 Penalties. Capitol Hawaii. Retrieved April 6, 2023, from https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/vol09_ch0431-0435h/hrs0431/HRS_0431-0010C-0117.htm
- (2023.) USAA Insurance Review, WalletHub. Retrieved April 13, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/usaa-insurance-13303847i
- (2023.) Allstate Insurance Review, WalletHub. Retrieved April 13, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/edu/ci/allstate-car-insurance-review/62759
- (2023.) State Farm Insurance Review, WalletHub. Retrieved April 13, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/statefarm-13017237i
- (2023.) Liberty Mutual Insurance Review, WalletHub. Retrieved April 13, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/liberty-mutual-13015271i
- (2023.) Progressive Insurance Review, WalletHub. Retrieved April 13, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/progressive-insurance-13015814i
- (2023.) Farmers Insurance Review, WalletHub. Retrieved April 13, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/farmers-insurance-13015619i
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.