What Used Cars Are the Cheapest To Insure in Idaho?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Idaho? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Idaho and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Idaho Cheapest Used Cars To Insure
We reviewed 45 vehicles from the 2021 model year to determine the least-expensive vehicles to insure in Idaho. Using an in-state address and a basic driver profile, we generated quotes for each vehicle. The following are the three cheapest to insure:
1. 2021 Bronco Sport by Ford
The cheapest used vehicle to insure in Idaho is the 2021 Ford Bronco Sport, an SUV that’s available with two or four doors. Full coverage for the Bronco Sport costs $52 per month, which is well below the state average of $88 per month. A liability-only policy for the Bronco Sport costs $23 monthly.
The 2021 Bronco Sport can get up to 25 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. It’s also an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Pick+ winner.
2. 2021 CX-30 by Mazda
The second cheapest used vehicle to insure in Idaho is the 2021 Mazda CX-30, a four-door subcompact crossover SUV with seating for five. Full coverage for the CX-30 is $58 per month, below the state average of $88 per month. A liability-only policy costs $29 per month.
The 2021 CX-30 can get up to 25 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway. Like the Bronco Sport, it’s on the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ list.
3. 2021 Palisade by Hyundai
The third cheapest used vehicle to insure in Idaho is the 2021 Hyundai Palisade, a four-door midsize SUV that can seat up to eight. Full coverage for the Palisade costs $58 per month, below the state average of $88 per month. Liability-only coverage costs $34 per month.
The 2021 Palisade can get up to 19 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. In 2021, the Palisade earned a spot on the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ list.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles To Insure in Idaho
We selected 45 vehicles from the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list to determine which used vehicles are the least expensive to insure in Idaho. This list is arranged by full coverage cost, ranking from lowest to highest.
We entered each vehicle into an insurance quote generator using an Idaho address and a basic driver profile to determine monthly prices.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
|2021||Volvo||V60 Cross Country||$93.00||$38.00|
|2021||Volvo||V90 Cross Country||$93.00||$29.00|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance is cheaper than full coverage because liability insurance covers only the other driver’s expenses if you’re responsible for an accident, while full coverage also offers financial protection for you and your vehicle.
Here are the average monthly prices for insurance policies in Idaho:
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
The Best Idaho Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Idaho are State Farm, Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Co. of Idaho, and Farmers.
We identified these companies by looking at which companies have the largest market share in Idaho, according to Everquote. Then we looked at the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Complaint Index for Idaho’s leading companies.
The average complaint index is 1, so if a company has a higher index than 1, it’s received more complaints than what’s expected in the industry. You can see all of the rankings below:
|Insurance Company||Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||Complaint Index*|
|Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Co. of Idaho||10.71%||N/A||1|
*Complaint Index data are national numbers from the NAIC.
Tips To Lower Insurance Premiums in Idaho
Drivers in Idaho can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Shop around for lower quotes and consider purchasing a less expensive vehicle.
- Raise your deductible, which lowers your premiums.
- Drive carefully so you can avoid accidents and claims when possible.
- Ask your agent about discounts related to your profession or military status.
To provide the most relevant and accurate insurance quotes for Idaho drivers, we used an in-state address to identify the cheapest pre-owned vehicles to insure. To generate the quotes, we applied this address and a basic driver profile to 45 vehicles selected from the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ list.
By using this specific method, we don’t have to rely on national averages, which aren’t as accurate because premiums vary from state to state.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Idaho?
The cheapest SUV to insure in Idaho is the 2021 Ford Bronco Sport. A full-coverage policy costs $624 ($52 per month).
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Yes, older cars (excluding classic collectibles) are cheaper to insure because they cost less to repair and replace. Your car loses value as it gets older, so your provider doesn’t have to pay as much when there’s an accident.
How much liability insurance is required in Idaho?
Idaho requires every driver to carry an insurance policy with the following:
- $25,000 for bodily injury per person per accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury per accident
- $15,000 for property damage per accident
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Idaho?
First-time offenders face the following penalties:
- A $75 fine
- Administrative fees
- One year of SR-22 maintenance
- License suspension until proof of insurance is provided
- $85 license reinstatement fee
Penalties for second and subsequent offenses include:
- Fines up to $1,000
- Up to six months of jail time, or a combination of jail time and a fine
- Three years of SR-22 maintenance
- License suspension until proof of insurance is provided
- $85 license reinstatement fee
What is the basic insurance for a car?
The basic insurance for a car is liability, which covers the other driver’s expenses if you’re responsible for an accident. Your lender or leasing company may require you to carry additional insurance, such as comprehensive or collision coverage.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Sports cars, luxury vehicles, and rare automobiles have the highest rates because they are more expensive to repair or replace.
- (2023.) Compare 2023 Car Insurance Rates Side-by-Side. The Zebra. Retrieved April 4, 2023, from https://www.thezebra.com/auto-insurance/
- (2021.) 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Brochure. Ford. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://www.joecottonford.com/resrc/media/pdf/2021_Ford_Bronco_Packaging_Guide.pdf
- (2019.) 2021 Mazda CX-30 Brochure. Mazda. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://dealerinspire-brochure.s3.amazonaws.com/2282.pdf
- (2020.) 2021 Hyundai Palisade Brochure. Hyundai. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://secure.viewer.zmags.com/publication/e956c72e#/e956c72e/16
- (2023.) Consumer Insurance Search Results. National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://content.naic.org/cis_refined_results.htm
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Idaho. Everquote. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-idaho/
- (2021.) 2021 Top Safety Picks+. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved April 4, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021?tspPlusOnly#award-winners
- (2023.) Average Cost of Car Insurance in Idaho for 2023. Bankrate. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-idaho/
- (2023.) Idaho Minimum Liability Car Insurance. MoneyGeek. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://www.moneygeek.com/insurance/auto/state-laws-minimum-requirements-idaho/
- (2023.) Penalties for Driving Without Insurance in Idaho. ValuePenguin. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/auto-insurance/idaho/penalties-driving-without-insurance
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.