What Used Cars are the Cheapest to Insure in Iowa?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Iowa? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Iowa and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Iowa Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
We reviewed 45 vehicles from 2021-22 listed on the 2021 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Picks+ list to unveil the cheapest pre-owned cars to insure in Iowa. Using a basic driver profile, we ran these vehicles through an instant quote generator.
This helped us identify the top three cheapest-to-insure vehicles in Iowa.
1. 2021 CX-3 by Mazda
The CX-3 by Mazda is the cheapest vehicle to insure in Iowa. This model is a small SUV with four doors. A full-coverage policy for the CX-3 only costs $18.68 a month, which is much less than the average monthly policy cost of $109.58 in Iowa. Liability-only coverage costs just $8.60 a month.
The IIHS rated the overall crashworthiness of this car as “good,” which is the highest-possible rating.
2. 2021-22 Crosstrek Hybrid by Subaru
The Crosstrek Hybrid by Subaru is the second-cheapest car to insure in Iowa. This vehicle is an electric four-door SUV that costs $19.27 a month for full coverage—which is still much less than the state’s average—and $7.78 monthly for liability only.
This model received a “good” score for its overall crash safety evaluation, with particularly high ratings for its seatbelts and child restraint features.
3. 2021-22 CX-5 by Mazda
The CX-5 by Mazda is the third-cheapest car to insure in Iowa. This car is a small four-door SUV. Full coverage costs less than the statewide average of $109.58 monthly at only $19.34 a month, while liability-only coverage is only $8.38 per month.
This vehicle was included on the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ list due to its sufficient structure, safety cage, and passenger injury limits.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles To Insure in Iowa
We used 45 vehicles from the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list to find policy estimates for both full coverage and liability-only coverage in Iowa. To gather accurate prices for both types of coverage, we created a basic driver profile and ran the IIHS list through an auto insurance quote generator.
We then ranked the vehicles in order from lowest to highest based on their full-coverage policy cost.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance policies are cheaper than full-coverage policies. This is because liability-only coverage provides less financial protection than full coverage. The table below shows the average monthly cost of each type of policy in Iowa:
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
The Best Iowa Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Iowa are State Farm, Progressive, and Nationwide.
We identified these insurance companies and their market share by accessing the largest insurance companies in Iowa from EverQuote. We then looked at each company’s complaint index from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
The average complaint index is 1, meaning that any company with a higher index has received more customer complaints than expected. Companies with a lower complaint index indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants. You can see all of the rankings below.
|Insurance Company||Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||Complaint Index|
|Farm Bureau Financial Services||6.79%||N/A||N/A|
|American Family Insurance||6.49%||N/A||0.11|
|Berkshire Hathaway Inc.||3.74%||N/A||N/A|
*Complaint index data are national numbers from the NAIC.
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Iowa
Drivers in Iowa can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Request higher insurance deductibles.
- Limit your mileage.
- Improve your credit score.
- Maintain a clean driving record.
We used an in-state address to identify the cheapest used vehicles to insure, as this would provide the most relevant and accurate data for drivers in Iowa. We then applied the address and a basic driver profile to input the 45 vehicles mentioned in this article through an instant insurance quote generator.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Iowa?
The cheapest SUV model to insure in Iowa is the Mazda CX-3. This vehicle costs $18.68 a month for a full-coverage policy and $8.60 monthly for liability-only coverage.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Older cars are usually cheaper to insure. This is because they are less valuable and therefore cost less to repair or replace, making older cars a lower financial risk.
How much liability insurance is required in Iowa?
The Iowa Insurance Division states that resident drivers must have minimum liability coverage that has a bodily injury limit of at least $20,000 for one person and $40,000 for two or more people per accident. Drivers must also have a minimum of $15,000 property damage coverage.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Iowa?
In Iowa, first-time and repeat offenders must pay a $250 penalty for driving a vehicle without a license. If an offender is looking to have their license reinstated after a suspension, the Iowa Department of Transportation requires individuals to pay a $20 reinstatement fee.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
A liability-only policy is the most basic insurance plan for a car. This only covers property damage and injuries whereas a full-coverage policy offers comprehensive and collision coverage. A lender may require a driver to have full-coverage insurance with additional inclusions.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
The more valuable a car is, the higher it will cost to insure. For instance, luxury sports cars and rare vehicles usually cost above average to insure. This is because they have high repair and replacement costs.
- (2021.) 2021 Top Safety Picks. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Retrieved April 6, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021
- (n.d.) Progressive. Retrieved April 6, 2023, from https://www.progressive.com/
- (2023.) Average cost of car insurance in Iowa for 2023. Bankrate. Retrieved April 6, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-iowa/
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Iowa. EverQuote. Retrieved April 6, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-iowa/
- (n.d.) Automobile Insurance. Iowa Insurance Division. Retrieved April 6, 2023, from https://iid.iowa.gov/automobile-insurance
- (2021.) What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Iowa? WalletHub. Retrieved April 6, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/answers/ci/driving-without-insurance-in-iowa-2140695177/
- (n.d.) Iowa Suspended Driver’s License & Reinstatement. Iowa Department of Transportation. Retrieved April 6, 2023, from https://iowadot.gov/mvd/driverslicense/suspensions-and-revocations
- (2023.) Progressive Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 13, 2023,from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/progressive-insurance-13015814i
- (2023.) Nationwide Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 13, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/edu/ci/nationwide-car-insurance-review/62589
- (2023.) American Family Insurance Review 2023. Bankrate. Retrieved April 13, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/reviews/american-family/
- (2023.) IMT Auto and Home Insurance Review. ValuePenguin. Retrieved April 13, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/IMT-insurance-review
- (2023.) Allstate Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 13, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/edu/ci/allstate-car-insurance-review/62759
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.