What Used Cars are the Cheapest to Insure in Kansas?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Kansas? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Kansas and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Kansas Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
Using a basic driver profile and 45 vehicles from the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list, we compiled the cheapest pre-owned vehicles that are the most affordable to insure in Kansas. Below is an introduction to the three cheapest.
1. 2021 Bronco by Ford
The 2021 Ford Bronco is the cheapest used car to insure in Kansas. A full-coverage policy for this four-wheel drive SUV with four seats costs $78 monthly. That’s much cheaper than the Kansas full-coverage average cost of $138 per month. A liability-only policy costs $26.
The IIHS gave it a Superior rating for its vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-pedestrian crash prevention. The Bronco gets 20 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway.
2. 2021 Trailblazer by Chevrolet
The 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer is a four-door SUV, and it’s the second cheapest used car to insure in Kansas. It costs $89 a month for full-coverage insurance, that’s $49 cheaper than the state average, and only $32 for liability-only policies.
The Trailblazer has superior safety features that get it a place on the Top Safety Pick+ list. The Chevrolet Trailblazer gets 29 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway.
3. 2021 Insight by Honda
The third cheapest used car to insure in Kansas is the 2021 Honda Insight. It costs $90 a month for full-coverage insurance for the Insight which is $48 cheaper than the state average. It is only $36 monthly for liability-only policies.
The Insight is on the Top Safety Pick+ list for its collision safety features. This car gets 55 mpg with city driving and 49 mpg on the highway.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Kansas
We collected policy estimates for 45 vehicles that we took from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list. The 45 cars are ranked by their lowest to highest full-coverage policy costs. We’ve also included liability-only quotes.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only coverage insurance is cheaper than full coverage because it only covers damage you may cause, whereas full coverage insures your vehicle from damage caused by outside factors.
The Best Kansas Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Kansas are American Family, Farm Bureau, and The Standard Fire Insurance Company.
We accessed Kansas complaint records to compare companies with more than 2% of the market share. We didn’t include duplicate listings for the same company in the data.
Companies with lower Market-Share-to-Complaint Ratios indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants. See the rankings below.
|Insurance Company||Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||Ratio of Complaints to Market Share|
|Standard Fire Insurance Company||3.39%||2.34%||0.69|
|American Family Mutual||6.12%||4.46%||0.72|
|United Services Automobile Association||2.08%||1.91%||0.91|
|Farmers Insurance Company Incorporated||4.40%||4.46%||1.01|
|Allstate Fire & Casualty||4.63%||8.91%||1.92|
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Kansas
Drivers in Kansas can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Compare different companies: Compare insurers before committing to a provider; you could save.
- Opt for minimal coverage: Choosing the minimum policy that is legally required in Kansas can save you money.
- Search for discounts: In Kansas, you can get discounts based on several factors like how safely you drive. You can also receive cheaper premiums for being married, working certain jobs, and owning your home.
- Improve your credit: Drivers with poor credit can pay anywhere from 44% to 76% more on their insurance in Kansas than those with excellent credit. Boosting your credit helps lower insurance premiums.
- Shop for rates often: You can also save money by comparing coverage options once a year. New discounts and rates may become available that make it worth switching providers.
To provide the most relevant data for drivers in Kansas, we used an in-state address to identify the cheapest used vehicles to insure. Combined with a basic driver profile, we researched the 45 aforementioned vehicles through an insurance quote generator.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old-male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent organization that collects safety data for cars on the market. We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Kansas?
The cheapest used SUV to insure in Kansas is the 2021 Ford Bronco. A full-coverage insurance plan for a Ford Bronco costs $78. A liability-only coverage plan costs $26.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Older cars are cheaper to insure than newer vehicles in part because they cost less to repair and replace, so the value of risk is lower for the insurance company.
How much liability insurance is required in Kansas?
Drivers in Kansas must have a minimum of 25/50/25 insurance coverage. Policies must include a minimum of $25,000 for property damage, $50,000 for individuals injured in an accident, and a $25,000 limit for one individual.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Kansas?
Uninsured drivers in Kansas can receive misdemeanor charges, be fined between $300 and $2,500, face six months in prison, and the state can suspend your driving license for three years for repeat offenders. A license can be reinstated upon providing an SR-22 form that proves you acquired insurance.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
The most basic car insurance is liability-only. This insures your vehicle against damage you cause. Most states require at least liability insurance. Getting this policy style can lead to the lowest insurance rates for your car. There are also collision policies and plans to cover fire and theft.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Brand-new vehicles from luxury makers like Maserati or Porsche have the highest insurance rates. Supercars and other collector vehicles like classic cars cost the most to insure because of their costly production and repairs.
- (2023.) 2021 Top Safety Picks. IIHS. Retrieved April 3, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021
- (2023.) Introduction to Auto Insurance. Kansas Insurance Department. Retrieved April 3, 2023, from https://insurance.kansas.gov/auto-insurance/
- (2023.) Complaint Index Report for Year 2021. Kansas Insurance Department. Retrieved April 3, 2023, from https://insurance.ks.gov/documents/department/publications/complaint-index-report.pdf
- (2023.) Article 31: Kansas Automobile Injury Reparations Act. Kansas State Legislature. Retrieved April 3, 2023, from http://www.kslegislature.org/li_2014/b2013_14/statute/040_000_0000_chapter/040_031_0000_article/040_031_0004_section/040_031_0004_k/
- (2023.) Best & Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes in Kansas (2023). ValuePenguin. Retrieved April 27, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/best-cheap-car-insurance-kansas#:~:text=The%20average%20cost%20of%20insurance,year%2C%20or%20%24138%20per%20month.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.