What Used Cars are the Cheapest to Insure in Kentucky?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Kentucky? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Kentucky and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Kentucky Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
We used a basic driver profile and 45 cars from the 2021 production year that feature on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety‘s (IIHS) 2021 Top Safety Pick+ List and plugged them into an insurance quote generator. That gave us the three most affordable used cars to insure in Kentucky.
1. 2021 Bronco by Ford
The Ford Bronco is a small, four-door SUV with excellent safety ratings from the IIHS. A monthly full-coverage policy in Kentucky is $94 for the Bronco, that’s $23 cheaper than the Kentucky state average of $117. A liability-only policy costs $38. This is the cheapest car to insure in Kentucky.
It is estimated to have 26 combined mpg with the base engine, and its overall safety rating is good.
2. 2021 C-HR by Toyota
The second-cheapest used car to insure in Kentucky is the 2021 C-HR by Toyota. Full-coverage policies for this two-door, subcompact SUV cost $103 monthly. That’s $14 less then Kentucky’s average. The C-HR liability-only insurance coverage costs $42.
It was on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick list for its LED projector headlights with curve-adaptive features and high-beam assist.
3. 2021 Escape by Ford
The 2021 Ford Escape is the third-cheapest used car to insure in Kentucky. It costs $111 for a full-coverage insurance policy, keeping it just under the average Kentucky coverage cost, and it’s $42 for a monthly liability-only coverage plan.
It’s a small SUV with excellent safety ratings and LED projector headlights.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Kentucky
We used 45 vehicles from the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ list to gather policy estimates. All of the vehicles are ranked according to the cost of their full coverage policies. We also provided liability-only quotes for your comparison.
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only coverage insurance is cheaper than full coverage because it only covers damage you may cause, while full coverage also insures your vehicle from damage caused by outside factors, such as other drivers.
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
The Best Kentucky Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Kentucky are the Kentucky Farm Bureau, State Farm, and Progressive.
We gathered the auto insurance companies in Kentucky with more than a 2% market share through Everquote. We then assessed the Complaint Index figures for these companies using national numbers from the NAIC.
Companies with Complaint Indexes lower than 1 received fewer complaints than the average insurance company in the US, implying they had higher customer satisfaction.
Percent of Total Complaints
|Kentucky Farm Bureau||18.9%||N/A||0.03|
*The Complaint Index data in this table are national numbers from the NAIC.
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Kentucky
Drivers in Kentucky can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Compare premiums: It’s essential that you compare and contrast a range of different insurance providers. Insurance companies will consider various factors when preparing your quote, such as your marital status and where you’re employed. Shop around before settling on a coverage plan.
- Compare regularly: Ideally, you should check out the different coverage plans offered every six to twelve months. This way, you can keep up with the best deals and save yourself some money in the long run.
- Demonstrate financial responsibility: Your credit can affect your car insurance premium. Drivers in Kentucky with poor credit could pay 150% more for insurance than those with good credit. Try to boost your credit before seeking insurance for the best shot at a lower premium.
- Choose minimum coverage: The state minimum insurance policy in Kentucky is the cheapest you’ll be able to find. While it offers less coverage than other policies, it’ll reduce your premium.
To provide the most relevant and accurate data for drivers in Kentucky, we used an in-state address to identify the cheapest used vehicles to insure. We applied the Kentucky address with a basic driver profile to research the 45 aforementioned vehicles through an insurance quote generator.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old-male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leasing or financing
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market. We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Kentucky?
In Kentucky, the cheapest SUV to insure is the Ford Bronco. A basic liability-only plan for a 2021 Bronco costs $38, while full coverage costs $94 monthly.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Older cars are cheaper to insure because they are less valuable. However, some antique cars are difficult to repair, as parts are hard to acquire. This can lead to more expensive insurance premiums.
How much liability insurance is required in Kentucky?
Drivers in Kentucky must have a liability insurance policy with a bodily injury limit of $25,000 per person per accident and a minimum of $50,000 total per accident. The policies also need a minimum of $25,000 in property damage.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Kentucky?
Driving in Kentucky without insurance can get you fined from $500 to $1,000. You can also spend up to 90 days in jail. Repeat offenders can expect their licenses to be suspended or revoked. To reinstate their license, drivers pay a $40 fee and show proof they acquired the necessary insurance.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
The most basic car insurance is liability-only coverage. Liability-only policies cover damage that results from your fault but doesn’t cover any damage you might receive from other drivers and road incidents.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
The most expensive cars to insure are brand-new from luxury makers like Ferrari. Their manufacturing costs and the specialist labor make insuring them very costly. Classic cars are also expensive because collectors’ items aren’t manufactured anymore, making repairs expensive and time-consuming.
- (2023.) 2021 Top Safety Picks. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved on April 4, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021
- (2023.) Mandatory Insurance. Kentucky Government. Retrieved on April 4, 2023, from https://drive.ky.gov/Vehicles/Pages/Mandatory-Insurance.aspx
- (2023.) National Association of Insurance Commissioners. NAIC. Retrieved on April 4, 2023, from https://content.naic.org/
- (2023.) Driving Without Insurance in Kentucky. Bankrate. Retrieved on April 21, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/kentucky-driving-without-insurance/#penalties
- (2023.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Kentucky. Everquote. Retrieved on April 21, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-kentucky/
- (2023.) How Much is Car Insurance in Kentucky? (2023 Averages). MoneyGeek. Retrieved on April 27, 2023, from https://www.moneygeek.com/insurance/auto/average-cost-car-insurance-kentucky/
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.