What Used Cars are the Cheapest to Insure in Louisiana?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Louisiana? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Louisiana and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Louisiana Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
We compared full and liability-only coverage insurance quotes for 45 used cars between 2021-2022 in New Orleans, Louisiana, to get the cheapest rates. Using this profile, we input each vehicle through an online quote generator to find the cheapest cars to insure.
Here is what our research found:
1. 2021 Crosstrek Hybrid by Subaru
The Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid is the cheapest used vehicle to insure in Louisiana. This four door SUV costs around $154.41 per month to insure, which is much less than the state’s average of $242.42. A liability-only insurance policy for the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid is $79.22 per month.
This hybrid vehicle offers exceptional fuel efficiency and power capabilities. It is also an Insurance Institute Highway Safety (IIHS) TOP SAFETY PICK+ award recipient. The Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid has an estimated 25 combined city/highway mpg.
2. 2021 XC40 by Volvo
The Volvo XC40 is the second cheapest used vehicle to insure in Louisiana. A full-coverage insurance policy is $163.69, which is less than the state’s average of $242.42 per month. A liability policy is at $95.15, while the state’s average for a liability-only policy is $67.08 per month.
This vehicle boasts a sporty exterior and a spacious interior cabin. Drivers can choose between two turbocharged engines in the XC40 for a capable drive. The XC40 is also an IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+ award winner, and the U.S. Department of Energy gives it an efficiency rating of a combined 25 city/highway mpg.
3. 2021 Outback by Subaru
The Subaru Outback is the third cheapest vehicle to insure in Louisiana. A full-coverage policy is $166.81 per month, which is less than the state’s average of $242.42. A liability-only policy on the Subaru Outback is $87.37, which is slightly more than the state’s average.
The Outback offers ample space and performance capabilities for families and adventurous drivers. It is also an IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+ award winner. The U.S. Department of Energy gives the Subaru Outback a 24 combined city/highway mpg rating.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Louisiana
Using a quote generator to find the cheapest used vehicles to insure, we compared insurance rates in Louisiana using 45 of the top IIHS picks. We then organized the insurance rates from the cheapest to the most expensive.
Here are the 45 cheapest used vehicles to insure in Louisiana:
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance is cheaper than full coverage because it doesn’t cover property damage, theft, or weather-related damage. Here’s what you can expect to pay for a full-coverage versus a liability-only policy in Louisiana:
The Best Louisiana Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Louisiana are State Farm, USAA, and Progressive.
We chose these companies based on market share and complaint index data. We used Everquote to identify the insurance companies with the largest market share and then researched the number of complaints based on the national average.
Companies with lower Market-Share-to-Complaint Ratios indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants. A ratio lower than 1.0 is good, whereas a ratio over 1.0 indicates that the company has more complaints than average.
You can see all of the rankings below:
Market Share in Louisiana
Percent of Total Complaints
The complaint index data is from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). The NAIC complaint index data is based on the national average rather than state-specific information.
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Louisiana
Drivers in Louisiana can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Choose a used vehicle that qualifies for a lower insurance rate.
- Maintain a safe driving record free of auto accidents or violations.
- Bundle policies, including homeowners, motorcycle, or renters insurance.
- Price shop quotes from several insurance providers to get the best rate.
We used an in-state address to identify the cheapest used vehicles to insure, as this provides the most relevant and accurate data for drivers in Louisiana. We used the address and a basic driver profile to input the 45 IIHS vehicles through an insurance quote generator.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 TOP SAFETY PICK+ list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Louisiana?
The cheapest SUV to insure in Louisiana is the Volvo XC40, which is a compact SUV. A full-coverage insurance policy on a 2022 Volvo XC40 is $163.67 per month, which is less than the state average of $242.42 per month.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Insuring an older car in Louisiana is cheaper because the repair and replacement costs are less than for newer vehicles. Most Louisiana insurance companies are willing to offer lower rates since they don’t have to pay as much if the driver files a claim on a cheaper vehicle.
How much liability insurance is required in Louisiana?
Louisiana requires a minimum liability coverage of $15,000 for bodily injury per person, $30,000 for bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Louisiana?
Driving without insurance in Louisiana results in fines between $500 and $1,000, a suspended driver’s license, an impounded vehicle, and towing costs. You’ll also be subject to a reinstatement fee once your restricted period is complete.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
Liability insurance is basic car insurance. Liability insurance covers you financially if you cause bodily or property damage to another driver. If you have an auto loan on your vehicle, you may be required to carry additional insurance, including comprehensive collision insurance.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Sports and luxury cars have the highest insurance rates in Louisiana. Insurance companies charge higher rates on these policies because higher-valued cars cost more to repair and replace. Antique vehicles also typically cost more to insure because it may not be possible to replace them.
- (2023.) Average Cost of Car Insurance in Louisiana for 2023. Bankrate. Retrieved April 3, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-louisiana/
- (2022.) Fuel Economy Ratings. U.S. Department of Energy. Retrieved April 3, 2023, from https://www.fueleconomy.gov/
- (2022.) 2021 Top Safety Picks. IIHS HLDI. Retrieved April 3, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021?tspPlusOnly#award-winners
- (2023.) Consumer’s Guide to Auto Insurance. Louisiana Department of Insurance. Retrieved April 3, 2023, from https://www.ldi.la.gov/docs/default-source/documents/publicaffairs/consumerpublications/auto-insurance-guide.pdf
- (2023.) Consumer Complaint Data. Louisiana Department of Insurance. Retrieved April 4, 2023, from https://www.ldi.la.gov/onlineservices/complaintindex/
- (2021). Subaru Announces Pricing on 2022 Crosstrek And Crosstrek Hybrid. PR Newswire. Retrieved April 18, 2023, from https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/subaru-announces-pricing-on-2022-crosstrek-and-crosstrek-hybrid-301423210.html
- (2019). Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Louisiana. Everquote. Retrieved April 18, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-louisiana/
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.