What Used Cars are the Cheapest to Insure in Maine?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Maine? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Maine and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Maine’s Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
Using a basic driver profile and 45 vehicles from the 2021 production year, we used an insurance quote generator and found the three pre-owned vehicles that were the cheapest to insure in Maine.
1. 2021 Bronco by Ford
The 2021 Ford Bronco is a small SUV that’s the cheapest used car to insure in Maine. A full-coverage plan for the Bronco costs $44, while a liability-only plan costs $21 monthly. The full-coverage plan is $49 cheaper than Maine’s average full plan cost of $93 per month.
The Bronco received excellent frontal crash test verification ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). The Ford Bronco gets 20 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway.
2. 2021 Forester by Subaru
The second cheapest car to insure in Maine is the 2021 Subaru Forester. This four-door SUV costs $50 monthly for full coverage insurance, which is $43 cheaper than Maine’s state average. The Forester’s liability-only plans are $19 monthly.
The IIHS awarded the Subaru Forester with superior ratings for its safety features. A Subaru Forester gets 26 mpg when city driving and 33 mpg on the highway.
3. 2021 Outback by Subaru
The 2021 Subaru Outback is the third cheapest used car to insure in Maine. The four-door, four-wheel drive SUV costs $53 for a full-coverage plan, which is $40 cheaper than Maine’s full plan average cost. The Outback costs $25 monthly for a liability-only policy.
The Subaru Outback is on the Top Safety Pick+ list because of its superior frontal crash test results. The Outback gets 26 mpg in the city and 33 mpg when highway driving.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Maine
We collected policy estimates for 45 vehicles from the Insurance IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list. All 45 cars are ranked by their full coverage policy costs. We have also provided liability-only quotes for comparison.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only coverage insurance is cheaper than full coverage because it only covers damage you may cause, while full coverage also insures your vehicle from damage caused by outside factors, such as other drivers.
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
The Best Maine Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Maine are Farmers Insurance, Auto Owners Group, and MMG Insurance.
We accessed Maine complaint records to compare auto insurance companies with more than 2% of the market share in the state. We didn’t include duplicate listings for the same company in the data.
Companies with lower Market-Share-to-Complaint Ratios indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants. You can see all of the rankings below.
|Insurance Company||Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||Ratio of Complaints to Market Share|
|Auto Owners Group||4.35%||1.03%||0.24|
|United Services Automobile Assoc. Group||6.03%||4.12%||0.68|
|The Hanover Insurance Group||3.73%||3.09%||0.83|
|Auto Club Enterprises||3.11%||3.09%||0.99|
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Maine
Drivers in Maine can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Basic plans: Insurance plans that offer liability-only coverage are the cheapest option. In Maine, liability-only coverage is the legal minimum, making it a viable choice for a lower insurance premium.
- Boost your credit: Drivers with good credit scores typically pay less on their insurance. Proving you are financially reliable shows insurance companies that you’re a worthwhile client, incentivizing them to lower their premiums for you.
- Don’t buy straight away: It’s tempting to secure the first deal you see that looks good. Hold off and review insurance plans from various providers before settling on one. You never know what bargains you could find.
- Be consistent: Even after you’ve decided which plan is right for you, keep browsing offers from different insurance providers a few times a year. Consistently checking the market puts you in the best position to keep your insurance costs down.
We used an in-state address to identify the cheapest used vehicles to insure to provide the most relevant data for drivers. We applied the Maine address with a basic driver profile to research the 45 aforementioned vehicles through an insurance quote generator.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old-male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Maine?
The 2021 Ford Bronco is the cheapest used SUV to insure in Maine. Insuring a Bronco costs $44 for a full-coverage monthly insurance policy.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Older cars are cheaper to insure because they’re less valuable. Replacing parts for antique cars can be expensive, but most older cars are cheaper to repair.
How much liability insurance is required in Maine?
In Maine, drivers need liability insurance that pays out $50,000 per person per accident, $100,000 per accident for bodily injury, in addition to $25,000 for property damage.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Maine?
Drivers without insurance in Maine can be fined $500 and have their licenses suspended indefinitely. Uninsured drivers who get in an accident will also likely face further fees to reinstate their license. You can reinstate your license by paying the owed fees and proving purchase of insurance.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
Basic car insurance is called liability-only insurance. This type of insurance covers damage caused by the insured driver but doesn’t impact damage that others might cause. Different levels of insurance include comprehensive collision coverage, fire and theft coverage, and full coverage plans.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Luxury cars have the highest insurance rates. The cost of their manufacturing and production makes them difficult and time-consuming to repair. Brand new cars from high-end makers like Porsche also have very high insurance rates. Classic cars are also expensive because replacing their parts is hard.
- (2023.) 2021 Top Safety Picks. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved on April 5, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021
- (2023.) Auto Insurance FAQs. Bureau of Insurance for the State of Maine. Retrieved on April 5, 2023, from https://www.maine.gov/pfr/insurance/node/207
- (2023.) 2022 Personal Auto Insurance Complaint Comparison. The State of Maine’s Department of Professional and Financial Regulation. Retrieved on April 5, 2023, from https://www.maine.gov/pfr/insurance/sites/maine.gov.pfr.insurance/files/inline-files/personal_auto_complaint_comparison.pdf
- (2023.) Average Car Insurance Cost in Maine. Insure.com. Retrieved on April 27, 2023, from https://www.insure.com/car-insurance/average-car-insurance-cost-in-maine/
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.