What Used Cars Are the Cheapest to Insure in Maryland?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Maryland? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Maryland and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Maryland Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
To shortlist the cheapest used cars to insure in Maryland, we selected 45 award winners from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) 2021 Top Safety Picks+ list. We then created a basic driver profile using an in-state address. We ran each vehicle model through an instant quote generator to retrieve both full-coverage and liability-only insurance costs.
1. 2021 CX-3 by Mazda
The Mazda CX-3 is the cheapest vehicle to insure in Maryland. This four-door car is a small SUV that the brand introduced in the 2016 model year. A full-coverage policy costs $53.50 a month, which is $110.75 cheaper than the average cost of full-coverage premiums in Maryland.
In addition, liability-only insurance is just $30.24 a month. This vehicle was awarded by the IIHS for having a “superior” vehicle-to-vehicle front crash prevention system and overall “good” crashworthiness.
2. 2021 CX-5 by Mazda
The CX-5 by Mazda is the second cheapest car to insure in Maryland. This small four-door SUV model first appeared in 2017. Liability-only coverage for the CX-5 costs a low monthly fee of $29.87, while full-coverage insurance is only $54.54 a month.
Insurance for the 2021 CX-5 Mazda is $109.71 less than the average monthly cost of full-coverage insurance in Maryland. This car was awarded a “good” rating for its overall crash safety and crash avoidance evaluation.
3. 2021 Outback by Subaru
We found that the Subaru Outback is the third cheapest car to insure in Maryland. This vehicle is a midsize four-door wagon that Subaru redesigned in the 2020 model year. Full-coverage insurance for this car costs $ $54.99 a month, and liability-only insurance costs just $29.13 a month.
The Outback received a “good” score throughout its crash safety and crash avoidance evaluation and an “acceptable” score for its passenger restraints and dummy kinematics.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Maryland
We gathered vehicles from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list to find the cheapest policy estimates for both full coverage and liability-only coverage in Maryland.
We compiled the following table by selecting award-winning models from the Top Safety Pick+ list and running each vehicle through an instant auto-insurance quote generator, using a basic driver profile to ensure we retrieved average results. We then ordered each result in ascending order based on the cost of full-coverage insurance.
|2022||Hyundai||Santa Fe (SUV)||$62.47||$33.05|
|2021||Ford||Bronco Sport (SUV)||$66.84||$33.57|
|2022||Acura||MDX 4 (SUV)||$72.18||$37.42|
|2021||Volvo||XC40 Recharge (SUV)||$79.14||$31.72|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only premiums provide a basic level of financial protection for your car. Because liability-only insurance offers less than full coverage, it’s typically the cheaper option. The following are the average monthly costs for both policy types in Maryland:
|$164.25 a month||
$67.92 a month
The Best Maryland Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Maryland are Berkshire Hathaway, State Farm, and Allstate Corp. These companies have the greatest customer satisfaction, which is reflected in their low consumer complaint ratios.
We sourced data using EverQuote to identify the market share for each company listed. We also researched the complaint index for each insurance company. The average complaint index is one, meaning companies with a lower complaint index received fewer complaints than the average, indicating higher customer satisfaction. Please review the information in the following table:
Percent of Total Complaints
Disclaimer: The figures displayed in the Complaint Index column are national figures from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Maryland
Drivers in Maryland can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Maintain a clean driving record.
- Opt for higher deductibles.
- Select bundle insurance policies (e.g., home and auto).
- Minimize your mileage.
- Boost your credit score.
We used an in-state address to identify the cheapest used vehicles to insure, as this would provide the most relevant and accurate data for drivers in Maryland. We applied the address and a basic driver profile to input 45 vehicles from the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ list through an insurance quote generator. We used the following credentials:
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Maryland?
The 2021 CX-3 by Mazda is the cheapest SUV to insure in Maryland. The cost of full-coverage insurance for this model is $53.50 a month, while liability-only coverage is only $30.24 a month.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Older cars generally cost less than newer vehicles because they aren’t worth as much, making them less of a financial risk. Antique or expensive used cars may cost more to insure.
How much liability insurance is required in Maryland?
According to Maryland’s government, in-state drivers are legally obliged to have a minimum bodily injury limit of $30,000 per person and a $60,000 limit per accident. Drivers must additionally have property damage coverage of at least $15,000.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Maryland?
First-time offenders caught driving without insurance in Maryland are required to pay up to $1,000 for the offense and $150 in administrative fees. Additional punishment includes five points added to an offender’s license and, depending on the circumstances, up to one year in prison.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
Liability-only insurance is the most basic insurance policy you can buy. This covers property damage and injuries caused by an at-fault accident. If you are taking out a loan to cover the cost of a vehicle, lenders may require you to have full-coverage insurance.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Generally speaking, vehicles with a higher value will cost more to insure. For instance, luxury collectible vehicles and sports cars often present more expensive insurance rates because they cost more to replace and repair.
- (2021.) 2021 Top Safety Picks Award Winners. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021?tspPlusOnly#award-winners
- (nd.) Progressive. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://www.progressive.com/
- (2023.) Average Cost of Car Insurance in Maryland in 2023. Bankrate. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-maryland/
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Maryland. EverQuote. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-maryland/
- (2023.) State Farm Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/statefarm-13017237i
- (2023.) Allstate Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/edu/ci/allstate-car-insurance-review/62759
- (2023.) USAA Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/usaa-insurance-13303847i
- (2023.) Erie Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/erie-insurance-13014016i
- (2023.) Progressive Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/progressive-insurance-13015814i
- (2023.) Nationwide Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/nationwide-13303759i
- (2023.) Liberty Mutual Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/liberty-mutual-13015271i
- (2023.) Travelers Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/travelers-insurance-13303756i
- (nd.) Insurance Requirements for Maryland Vehicles. Maryland.gov. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/Pages/insurance-requirements.aspx
- (2022.) Penalties for Driving Without Insurance in Maryland . ValuePenguin. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/auto-insurance/maryland/penalties-driving-without-insurance
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.