What Used Cars are the Cheapest to Insure in Massachusetts?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Massachusetts? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort.
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Massachusetts and provides tips on how to save money on premiums. We also present the best insurance companies and answer frequently asked questions.
Cheapest Used Cars to Insure in Massachusetts
We reviewed 45 vehicles from the 2021 production year to find the cheapest used cars to insure. We also used a basic driver profile and an insurance quote generator when conducting our search.
1. 2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Ford’s 2021 Bronco Sport is a small four-door SUV that’s the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Massachusetts. A full coverage policy for this vehicle costs just $75 a month, which is less than the $105.17 Massachusetts state average. A liability-only policy for the Bronco Sport costs $38.
Ford’s Bronco Sport is a Top Safety Pick+ award winner due to its crash test results. It gets 25 mpg in the city and up to 28 mpg on the highway.
2. 2022 Honda Civic
Honda’s 2022 Civic is the second cheapest used vehicle to insure in Massachusetts. It’s a small four-door car that costs $82 monthly for full coverage insurance, $23 below the state average. A liability-only policy runs at $46 per month for the 2022 civic.
This Top Safety Pick+ award winner gets 31 MPG in the city and 38 MPG on the highway. It’s got plenty of safety features that allow it to perform well on crash tests.
3. 2021 Volvo XC40
Volvo’s 2021 XC40 is the third cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Massachusetts. It’s a Top Safety Pick+ award-winning small SUV. A full coverage policy costs $86, which is $19 below the state average. Its liability-only policy is $46.
Gas mileage for this four-door SUV is 23 mpg on city streets and 30 mpg on the highway. It has great crash test ratings as well.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Massachusetts
We collected policy estimates from 45 vehicles in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list. We’ve ranked each vehicle by its full coverage policy costs. You can also check out the liability-only quote for further comparison.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance is cheaper than a full-coverage policy. That’s because liability-only policies only cover accidents for which you are held liable.
Massachusetts Pre-Owned Car Insurance Averages:
The Best Massachusetts Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Massachusetts are Geico, Amica, and Progressive.
We accessed the Massachusetts complaint records to compare companies with more than 3% of the market share in the state. It’s important to note that the latest data available is from 2018.
Companies with lower market-share-to-complaint ratios indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants.
The rankings are as follows:
|Insurance Company||Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||Complaint Index|
|Berkshire Hathaway Inc.||12.71%||N/A||N/A|
|Plymouth Rock Co.||6.66%||N/A||0.13|
Disclaimer: Complaint Index data includes national numbers from the NAIC.
Tips for Lowering Your Insurance Premiums in Massachusetts
Drivers in Massachusetts can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Get auto quotes regularly to compare with your current rate
- Avoid traffic tickets and DUIs
- Improve your credit score to see your rates fall
- Staying on Honor Roll if you are a student
We used an in-state address and relevant and accurate data to find the most affordable pre-owned vehicles to insure in Massachusetts. Premiums vary significantly from one state to another.
In addition to using a Massachusetts address and a basic driver profile, we input a list of 45 vehicles through an insurance quote generator.
Basic Driver Profile
- A 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- With the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
We included the following coverages with the liability selections for the full-coverage quotes:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the Cheapest SUV To Insure in Massachusetts?
The Ford Bronco Sport is the cheapest SUV to insure in Massachusetts. A full-coverage policy costs $75 per month.
Are Older Cars Cheaper To Insure?
Older cars are cheaper to insure. That’s because they pose a lower financial risk, and the cost of replacing them is much lower.
How Much Liability Insurance Is Required in Massachusetts?
In Massachusetts, drivers are required to have liability insurance that covers bodily injury to others ($20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident), personal injury protection ($8,000 per person), bodily injury ($20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident), and damage to property ($5,000).
What’s the Penalty for Driving Without Insurance in Massachusetts?
Failure to carry the minimum required insurance in Massachusetts can lead to fines, one year of jail time, and suspension of your driver’s license. You may have to pay a $500 fee to reinstate your license after 60 days after a first-time offense.
What’s the Basic Insurance for a Car?
Liability insurance is the most basic insurance option for your vehicle. Liability insurance covers damage and injury you cause to others. Keep in mind that if you lease a car, your lender may require that you also hold comprehensive and collision coverage.
What Car Has the Highest Insurance Rates?
Generally, cars with higher insurance rates include luxury vehicles and sports cars. Rare vehicles also cost more because they cost more to replace.
- (2014.) The MA Auto Insurance Companies Who Receive The Most Consumer Complaints. The Agency Checklist. Retrieved March 30, 2023, from https://agencychecklists.com/2014/06/08/the-ma-auto-insurance-companies-who-receive-the-most-consumer-complaints-11425/
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Massachusetts. Everquote. Retrieved May 19, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-massachusetts/
- (2022.) 2021 Top Safety Picks. IIHS. Retrieved March 30, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021
- (2022.) Best Cheap Car Insurance in Massachusetts for 2023. USNews. Retrieved March 30, 2023, from https://www.usnews.com/insurance/auto/cheap-car-insurance-massachusetts
- (2023.) Understanding Auto Insurance. Office of the Attorney General. Retrieved March 30, 2023, from https://www.mass.gov/service-details/understanding-auto-insurance
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.