What Used Cars Are the Cheapest to Insure in Mississippi?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Mississippi? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Mississippi and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Mississippi Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
We reviewed 45 vehicles from the 2021 production year to determine which used vehicles are the cheapest to insure in Mississippi. We applied an in-state address and a basic driver profile to each vehicle to identify monthly rates. The following are the three least expensive used vehicles to insure.
1. 2021 Bronco Sport by Ford
The cheapest used vehicle to insure in Mississippi is the 2021 Ford Bronco Sport, an SUV that’s available with two or four doors. Full coverage for the Bronco Sport is $131 per month, which is less than the state average of $148 per month. A liability-only policy costs $23 per month.
The 2021 Bronco can get up to 25 mpg in the city and up to 28 mpg on the highway. It’s also an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Pick+ winner.
2. 2021 XC40 by Volvo
The second cheapest used vehicle to insure in Mississippi is the 2021 Volvo XC40, a subcompact crossover that seats five. Full coverage for the XC40 is $135 per month, which is below the state average of $148 a month. A liability-only policy is $29 per month.
The XC40 can get up to 23 mpg in the city and up to 32 mpg on the highway. The 2021 XC40 earned a spot on the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ list.
3. 2021 Insight by Honda
The third-cheapest used vehicle to insure in Mississippi is the 2021 Honda Insight, a four-door subcompact car that seats five. Full coverage for the Insight is $135 per month, which is less than the state average of $148 per month. A liability-only policy costs $35 per month.
A hybrid powertrain enables the 2021 Insight to get up to 55 mpg in the city and 49 mpg on the highway. The Insight is also on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Mississippi
We selected 45 vehicles from the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list to identify the cheapest used vehicles to insure in Mississippi. The list is arranged from lowest full-coverage policy cost to highest.
Using an insurance quote generator, we applied an in-state address and a basic driver profile to each vehicle to find monthly prices for full coverage and liability-only coverage.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
|2021||Volvo||V60 Cross Country||$193.00||$38.00|
|2021||Volvo||V90 Cross Country||$229.00||$29.00|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance is cheaper than full coverage. This is because a liability-only policy covers only the other driver if you’re responsible for an accident, while full coverage provides financial protection for your vehicle if there’s an accident, theft, or natural disaster.
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
The Best Mississippi Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Mississippi are Southern Farm Bureau, State Farm, and Liberty Mutual.
We identified these companies by looking at which providers have the largest market share in the state, according to Everquote. Then we looked at the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Complaint Index for these leading companies.
The average complaint index is 1. If a company’s complaint index is more than 1, that company has received more complaints than what’s expected in the market. You can see all the rankings below.
|Insurance Company||Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||Complaint Index*|
|Southern Farm Bureau||11.77%||N/A||0|
*Complaint Index data are national numbers from the NAIC.
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Mississippi
Drivers in Mississippi can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Ask if your provider has a telematics program in which participants receive discounts for being a safe driver.
- Consider bundling your car insurance policy with your home or renters insurance policy.
- Check with your provider for discounts related to your profession or military status.
- Consider shopping around for lower quotes.
Insurance rates vary from state to state, which is why we used an in-state address to generate insurance quotes for Mississippi drivers. A quote for a Mississippi address gives a better idea of an expected rate, as national averages might be much more or much less than Mississippi rates.
We combined this address with a basic driver profile to generate quotes for the 45 IIHS Top Safety Pick+ vehicles.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Mississippi?
The cheapest SUV to insure in Mississippi is the 2021 Ford Bronco Sport. A full-coverage policy for the Bronco Sport costs $1,572 ($131 per month).
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Yes, because older cars are less expensive to repair or replace. Your car loses value as it gets older, so your insurance provider doesn’t have to pay as much when there’s an accident.
How much liability insurance is required in Mississippi?
Every driver in Mississippi is required to purchase the following coverage:
- $25,000 bodily injury per person per accident
- $50,000 bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 property damage per accident
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Mississippi?
First-time offenders face the following penalties:
- A fine of $1000
- License suspension for one year or until proof of insurance is provided
- SR-22 form to be maintained for three years
- $100 license reinstatement fee
The penalties are the same for subsequent offenses.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
Liability insurance covers only the other driver’s car repairs and medical bills if you’re responsible for an accident. If you’re leasing or financing a vehicle, your lender may require you to carry extra insurance, such as comprehensive and collision coverage.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Sports cars, luxury vehicles, and rare automobiles have the highest insurance rates. That’s because these vehicles cost more to repair or replace.
- (2021.) 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Brochure. Ford. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://www.joecottonford.com/resrc/media/pdf/2021_Ford_Bronco_Packaging_Guide.pdf
- (2021.) 2021 Mazda XC40 Owner’s Manual. Mazda. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/support/car/xc40/2020w17#8899be1dc7fc78b1c0a81f6f5a01b4ab
- (2020.) 2021 Honda Insight Owner’s Manual. Honda. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATXM2121OM/enu/ATXM2121OM.PDF
- (2023.) Personalized Quote Generator. Experian. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://insurance.experian.com/sign-up/carrier
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Mississippi. Everquote. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-mississippi/
- (2023.) Consumer Insurance Search Results. National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://content.naic.org/cis_refined_results.htm
- (2021.) 2021 Top Safety Picks+. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved April 4, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021?tspPlusOnly#award-winners
- (2023.) Average Cost of Car Insurance in Mississippi for 2023. Bankrate. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-mississippi/
- (2023.) Mississippi Car Insurance Laws. The Zebra. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://www.thezebra.com/auto-insurance/mississippi-car-insurance/state-laws-ms/
- (2022.) Penalties for Driving Without Insurance in Mississippi. ValuePenguin. Retrieved April 5, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/auto-insurance/mississippi/penalties-driving-without-insurance
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.