What Used Cars Are the Cheapest to Insure in Nebraska?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Nebraska? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Nebraska and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Nebraska Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
We input a basic driver profile into an insurance quote generator to compare 45 vehicles from the 2021 model year on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list. Here are the top three cheapest cars to insure in Nebraska:
1. 2021 XC40 by Volvo
The 2021 Volvo XC40 is the cheapest used vehicle to insure in Nebraska. This four-door SUV costs $396 per month for a full-coverage policy, while the state average is $107 per month. A liability-only policy is $197 per month.
The XC40 has several valuable standard safety features, including lane-departure warning and blind-spot detection. It gets 22 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway.
2. 2021 CX-5 by Mazda
The second cheapest used car to insure in Nebraska is the 2021 Mazda CX. This four-door SUV is $433 per month for a full-coverage policy, and the state average is $107 per month. A liability-only policy is $201 per month.
The IIHS gave the CX-5 its top score across all but one of its crashworthiness test categories and a superior score on its vehicle-to-vehicle front-crash prevention test. The 2021 Mazda CX-5 gets 25 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway for savings at the pump.
3. 2021 CX-3 by Mazda
The 2021 Mazda CX-3 is the third cheapest vehicle to insure in Nebraska. This subcompact SUV costs $438 per month for a full-coverage policy, and the state average is $107 per month. For a liability-only policy, the CX-3 is $217 per month.
Lane-departure warning and blind-spot detection features come standard in the CX-3, helping to keep drivers and passengers safe. The front-wheel-drive version gets 29 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Nebraska
We collected policy estimates for the 45 vehicles on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list. All 45 cars are ranked by their full coverage policy costs in ascending order. We also provided liability-only quotes for comparison.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance is cheaper than full coverage, because it only covers the cost of repairs or medical bills for the other driver and passengers in an at-fault accident.
Nebraska Pre-owned Car Insurance Annual Averages
The Best Nebraska Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Nebraska are State Farm, Progressive, and Farmers Mutual Insurance co. of Nebraska.
We accessed the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Complaint Index to compare companies with more than 2% of the market share in Nebraska. We also didn’t include duplicate listings for the same company in the data.
Companies with lower Complaint Indexes indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants. You can see all of the rankings below.
|Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||
Farmers Mutual Insurance Co. of Nebraska
American Family Insurance
|Farm Bureau Financial Services||6.67||N/A||
|Berkshire Hathaway Inc./Geico||6.13||N/A||
The Complaint Index data are national numbers from the NAIC.
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Nebraska
Drivers in Nebraska can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Maintain a high credit score
- Shop around for lenders and negotiate
- Keep a good driving record
- Take a defensive driving course
- Drive fewer miles
- Bundle insurance policies
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner, but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leased or financed
- Been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Nebraska?
The Volvo XC40 is the cheapest pre-owned SUV to insure in Nebraska. A full-coverage policy is $396 a month.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Older cars are cheaper to insure than new cars. A new car depreciates as soon as it leaves the lot, which makes them cheaper to insure. In addition, older vehicles are usually cheaper to replace or repair.
How much liability insurance is required in Nebraska?
Nebraska is a fault state and requires that drivers have an insurance policy with a bodily injury limit of $25,000 per person per accident, a total limit minimum of $50,000 per accident, and a minimum property damage coverage of $25,000.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Nebraska?
Drivers caught driving without car insurance in Nebraska will be charged with a Class II misdemeanor, face a penalty of at least $50, and have their license suspended. A license is reinstated when the driver pays the applicable penalty fees and files an SR-22 certificate.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
The basic insurance for a vehicle is liability insurance. It provides coverage for the other party’s property damage and medical bills in an at-fault accident. If you’re financing your car, the lender may also require you to have collision or comprehensive coverage.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Lenders may increase insurance rates for luxury, rare, or high-performance cars and for trucks or SUVs with four-wheel drive modifications. These vehicles have higher rates because they are more expensive to replace, and parts and repairs cost more.
- (2023.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Nebraska. EverQuote. Retrieved April 16, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-nebraska/
- (2023.) Consumer Insurance Search Results. National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Retrieved April 16, 2023, from https://content.naic.org/cis_refined_results.htm?TABLEAU=CIS_CODE&COCODE=25178&:refresh
- (2022.) The Best Car Insurance in Nebraska for 2023. MoneyGeek. Retrieved April 16, 2023, from https://www.moneygeek.com/insurance/auto/best-car-insurance-nebraska/
- (2023.) What is the Average Cost of Auto Insurance in Nebraska? The Zebra. Retrieved April 16, 2023, from https://www.thezebra.com/auto-insurance/nebraska-car-insurance/ne-average-cost-of-auto-insurance/
- (2023.) Are Newer or Older Cars Cheaper to Insure? The General. Retrieved April 16, 2023, from https://www.thegeneral.com/blog/cheaper-to-insure-old-or-new-car/
- (2023.) Insurance for older Cars: Everything You Need to Know. Retrieved April 16, 2023, from https://www.caranddriver.com/car-insurance/a35877281/insurance-for-older-cars/
- (2023.) Nebraska Car Insurance Requirements. Nolo. Retrieved April 16, 2023, from https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/nebraska-car-insurance-requirements.html
- (2023.) Penalties for Driving Without Insurance in Nebraska. ValuePenguin. Retrieved April 16, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/auto-insurance/nebraska/penalties-driving-without-insurance#:~:text
- (2022.) What Is SR-22 Insurance and What Does It Do? Forbes. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-insurance/how-much-car-insurance-do-you-need/
- (2023.) What Are the Most Expensive Cars To Insure in 2023? MarketWatch. Retrieved April 17, 2023, from https://www.marketwatch.com/guides/insurance-services/most-expensive-cars-to-insure/
- (n.d.) 2021 Volvo XC40. Car and Driver. Retrieved April 24, 2023, from https://www.caranddriver.com/volvo/xc40-2021.
- (n.d.) 2021 Mazda CX-5. Car and Driver. Retrieved April 24, 2023, from https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-5-2021.
- (n.d.) 2021 Mazda CX-3. Car and Driver. Retrieved April 24, 2023, from https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-3.
- (2023.) 2021 Mazda CX-3. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved April 24, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/mazda/cx-3-4-door-suv/2021.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.