What Used Cars are the Cheapest to Insure in Oklahoma?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Oklahoma? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Oklahoma and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Oklahoma Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
To identify the cheapest used cars to insure in Oklahoma, we gathered 45 vehicles produced between 2021 and 2022 from the 2021 Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Picks+ list. We plugged in a basic driver profile with average credentials into an insurance quote generator for those cars.
We collected both full-coverage and liability-only quotes. Here are the 3 cheapest cars:
1. 2021 CX-3 by Mazda
The 2021 CX-3 by Mazda is the cheapest used car to insure in Oklahoma. This vehicle is a small, four-door SUV. Full-coverage insurance costs $54.36 a month, while liability-only coverage is $26 monthly. Compared to the average full-coverage insurance cost in Oklahoma, the CX-3 is $104.14 cheaper.
This model was first introduced in the 2016 model year, and it was awarded for its overall crash safety and avoidance features. It also has superior vehicle-to-vehicle front crash prevention.
2. 2021-22 CX-5 by Mazda
Mazda’s 2021-22 CX-5 model is the second-cheapest used car to insure in Oklahoma. This vehicle is a small, four-door SUV. It is $56.15 monthly for full-coverage insurance, which is $102.35 less than the average cost in Oklahoma. In addition, it costs $25.63 monthly for liability-only coverage.
The CX-5 was redesigned for the 2017 model year, and it was awarded for its good overall structure, safety cage, and driver injury measures.
3. 2022 Tucson by Hyundai
The 2022 Hyundai Tucson is the third-cheapest used car to insure in Oklahoma. This model is a recently redesigned small, four-door SUV. In contrast to the Oklahoma average monthly cost of $158.50, the Tucson only costs $57.56 a month. Liability-only insurance for this model is $25.81 a month.
This car received a superior score for its vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-pedestrian front crash prevention.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Oklahoma
To help you find a pre-owned car with affordable insurance, we used vehicles on the IIHS’s 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list and ran each model through an instant quote generator using a basic driver profile to find policy estimates for both full and liability-only coverage in Oklahoma.
We ranked these vehicles from the lowest to the highest full-coverage price.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance is cheaper than full coverage. This is because liability-only coverage provides less financial protection than full-coverage insurance. The following table shows the average monthly cost of full-coverage and liability-only policies in Oklahoma.
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
The Best Oklahoma Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Oklahoma are State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Progressive.
We used EverQuote to gather market share data for each car insurance company listed in the table below, along with complaint index data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Companies with higher market share percentages and lower complaint index numbers indicate happier claimants and fewer complaints.
You can see all of the rankings below:
|Insurance Company||Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||Complaint Index|
|Berkshire Hathaway Inc.||7.71%||N/A||N/A|
|Oklahoma Farm Bureau Insurance||3.84%||N/A||N/A|
Disclaimer: The figures shown in the Complaint Index column are National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) ratings.
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Oklahoma
Drivers in Oklahoma can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Select a less valuable vehicle.
- Bundle your insurance policies.
- Improve your credit score.
- Maintain a clean driving record.
- Shop around for discounts you qualify for.
We used an in-state address to identify the cheapest used vehicles to insure as this would provide the most relevant and accurate data for drivers in Oklahoma. We applied an Oklahoma address and a basic driver profile to input the 45 vehicles mentioned above through an insurance quote generator.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Oklahoma?
The cheapest SUV to insure in Oklahoma is the 2021 CX-3 by Mazda. This vehicle costs just $54.36 a month for full-coverage insurance and $26 for liability-only insurance.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Older cars are cheaper to insure because they are less valuable and therefore present a lower financial risk. For example, an older vehicle will cost less to repair or replace than a newer one.
How much liability insurance is required in Oklahoma?
Oklahoma requires in-state drivers to have a liability insurance policy that includes a bodily injury limit of $25,000 per person and a total limit minimum of $50,000 per accident. In addition, drivers must also have property damage coverage of at least $25,000.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Oklahoma?
First-time offenders who drive in Oklahoma without insurance must pay a penalty of up to $250. They can face 30 days in prison and lose their registration and driver’s license. To be reinstated, they must provide proof of insurance and pay several fees, including a reinstatement fee.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
A liability-only policy is the most basic insurance for a car. This typically covers injury and property damage caused by the driver in the event of an accident. Certain lenders may require drivers to have additional coverage, such as comprehensive and collision protection.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Expensive vehicles, such as rare collectible models and luxury sports cars, tend to have the highest insurance rates. This is because they cost more to repair or replace.
- (2023.) Average Cost of Car Insurance in Oklahoma for 2023. Bankrate. Retrieved April 10, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-oklahoma/
- (2021.) 2021 Top Safety Picks. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Retrieved April 10, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021?tspPlusOnly#award-winners
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Oklahoma. EverQuote. Retrieved April 10, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-oklahoma/
- (2023.) State Farm Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 11, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/statefarm-13017237i
- (2023.) Farmers Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 11, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/farmers-insurance-13015619i
- (2023.) Progressive Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 11, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/progressive-insurance-13015814i
- (2023.) Allstate Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 11, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/edu/ci/allstate-car-insurance-review/62759
- (2023.) USAA Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 11, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/usaa-insurance-13303847i
- (2023.) Liberty Mutual Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 11, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/liberty-mutual-13015271i
- (2023.) Liberty Mutual Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 11, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/shelter-insurance-13017065i
- (n.d.) Auto Insurance Common Myths. Oklahoma Insurance Department. Retrieved April 11, 2023, from https://www.oid.ok.gov/auto-insurance-common-myths/
- (2022.) Penalties for Driving Without Insurance in Oklahoma. ValuePenguin. Retrieved April 11, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/auto-insurance/oklahoma/penalties-driving-without-insurance
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.