What Used Cars Are the Cheapest To Insure in South Dakota?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in South Dakota? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of South Dakota and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
South Dakota Cheapest Used Cars To Insure
We reviewed 45 vehicles from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list to determine the cheapest used cars to insure in South Dakota.
By entering each vehicle and a basic driver profile into an insurance quote generator, we determined that the following used vehicles are the three cheapest to insure in South Dakota:
1. 2021 XC40 by Volvo
The 2021 Volvo XC40 is the cheapest used vehicle to insure in South Dakota. It’s a four-door luxury SUV that seats five. The price for a full-coverage policy is $311 a month, slightly more than the state average of $278 a month. Liability-only insurance costs $124 a month.
The 2021 Volvo XC40 can get up to 22 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway and has a combined rating of 25 mpg. As an IIHS Top Safety Pick+ vehicle, the Volvo XC40 gets excellent marks for its crashworthiness, headlights, and crash avoidance systems.
2. 2021 XC60 by Volvo
The 2021 Volvo XC60 is the second cheapest used vehicle to insure in South Dakota. It’s a four-door midsize luxury SUV with seating for five. The price for a full-coverage policy is $362 a month, slightly more than the state average of $278 a month. Liability-only insurance costs $126 a month.
The front-wheel-drive 2021 Volvo XC60 can get up to 22 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway and has a combined rating of 25 mpg. Like the Volvo XC40, the XC60 is an IIHS Top Safety Pick+ vehicle.
3. 2021 Insight by Honda
The 2021 Honda Insight is the third cheapest vehicle to insure in South Dakota. It’s a four-door sedan that seats five. The price for a full-coverage policy is $366 a month, slightly more than the state average of $278 a month. Liability-only insurance costs $139 a month.
The 2021 Insight can get up to 55 mpg in the city and 49 mpg on the highway and has a combined rating of 52 mpg. The 2021 Insight is an IIHS Top Safety Pick+ receiving a superior rating for its crash-prevention systems and excellent marks for its headlights and easy-to-use LATCH system.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles To Insure in South Dakota
The following table was compiled using the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Pick+ list and generating a quote for each vehicle using a local address and basic driver profile. The vehicles are listed in ascending order below based on the cost of a full-coverage policy.
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance is cheaper than a full-coverage policy because liability-only insurance only covers the other driver and their vehicle and doesn’t cover your expenses in an accident. Below are the average prices for full coverage and liability-only coverage in South Dakota:
|Full-coverage policy||Liability-only policy|
|$278 a month||$128 a month|
The Best South Dakota Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in South Dakota are Farmers Mutual of Nebraska, American Family Insurance, and Farmers Insurance.
To identify the best automobile insurance companies, we looked at which insurance providers have the largest market share in South Dakota, according to EverQuote. Then we looked at the complaint index for each company as determined by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
The average complaint index is 1, meaning that any company with an index above 1 has received more complaints than what’s expected in the industry. An index lower than 1 indicates that a company has fewer complaints and happier claimants. You can see all of the rankings below:
|Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||Complaint Index*|
|Farmers Mutual of Nebraska||5.17%||N/A||0.18|
|American Family Insurance||9.74%||N/A||0.59|
*Complaint Index data are national numbers from the NAIC.
Tips To Lower Insurance Premiums in South Dakota
Drivers in South Dakota can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Ask your insurance provider about discounts related to your military status or profession.
- If you have a teen driver in the family, see if they qualify for a student discount.
- Consider bundling your car insurance policy with your homeowner’s or renter’s policy.
- Raise your deductible to lower your premium.
We selected an in-state address to help South Dakota drivers find the least expensive used vehicles to ensure. By focusing on South Dakota data instead of national averages, we can provide more relevant information for South Dakota policyholders.
We combined the South Dakota address with a basic driver profile, then entered the information into a quote generator to generate quotes for 45 vehicles.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in South Dakota?
The cheapest SUV to insure in South Dakota is the 2021 Volvo XC40. A full-coverage policy for the XC40 costs $3,732 annually ($311 monthly).
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Yes, because older cars don’t cost as much to repair or replace. Your car depreciates in value over time, so it’s less of a financial risk to your insurance provider if it’s damaged or totaled in an accident.
How much liability insurance is required in South Dakota?
South Dakota requires drivers to carry $25,000 bodily injury liability per person, $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident, and a minimum of $25,000 for property damage liability.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in South Dakota?
Penalties for driving without insurance in South Dakota include a fine of up to $500, 30 days of jail time, and up to a one-year suspension of your driver’s license. If your license is suspended, you’ll have to pay a license reinstatement fee and maintain SR-22 insurance for up to three years.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
The basic insurance is liability, which covers the other driver’s expenses if you’re responsible for an accident. Your leasing or financing company may require you to carry additional coverage, such as a comprehensive collision policy.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
Luxury vehicles, sports cars, and rare automobiles have the highest insurance rates because they’re more expensive to repair or replace.
- (2023.) Why is South Dakota Insurance So Expensive? WalletHub. Retrieved May 5, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/answers/ci/why-is-car-insurance-in-south-dakota-so-expensive-2140709661/
- (2020.) 2021 Volvo XC40 Owner’s Manual. Volvo Car Corporation. Retrieved May 5, 2023, from https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2021/XC40_OwnersManual_MY21_en-US_TP32898.pdf
- (2020.) 2021 Volvo XC60 Owner’s Manual. Volvo Car Corporation. Retrieved May 5, 2023, from https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2021/XC60_OwnersManual_MY21_en-US_TP32027.pdf
- (2020.) 2021 Honda Insight Owner’s Manual. Honda Motor Company. Retrieved May 5, 2023, from http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATXM2121OM/enu/ATXM2121OM.PDF
- (2021.) 2021 Top Safety Picks. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved May 5, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021?tspPlusOnly#award-winners
- (2023.) Consumer Insurance Search Results. National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Retrieved May 5, 2023, from https://content.naic.org/cis_refined_results.htm
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in South Dakota. EverQuote. Retrieved May 5, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-south-dakota/
- (2016.) Division of Insurance – Consumer Information. South Dakota Department of Labor & Regulation. Retrieved May 5, 2023, from https://dlr.sd.gov/insurance/general_guidance/auto.aspx
- (2023.) Penalties for Driving Without Insurance in South Dakota. ValuePenguin. Retrieved May 5, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/auto-insurance/south-dakota/penalties-driving-without-insurance
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.