What Used Cars are the Cheapest to Insure in Utah?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Utah? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Utah and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Utah Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
To unveil which used cars are the cheapest to insure in Utah, we selected 45 award-winning vehicles from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) TOP SAFETY PICK+ list and ran them through an instant auto-insurance quote generator using an in-state address and a basic driver profile.
We retrieved both full-coverage and liability-only quotes to help you compare prices. The following vehicles are the top three cheapest to insure in Utah:
1. 2021 Bronco Sport by Ford
The 2021 Ford Bronco Sport is the cheapest used vehicle to insure in Utah with a full-coverage policy costing $334 per month. This is higher than the state average of $125.83 per month. Liability-only coverage for this four-door SUV costs $172 per month.
The Ford Bronco Sport has all-wheel drive and two powerful engine options. The IIHS gave the Bronco Sport its highest score of “Good” in all of its crashworthiness tests. It also received superior scores in front crash prevention tests.
The Bronco Sport can also save you money on fuel with its 25 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.
2. 2021 Forester by Subaru
The second-cheapest used vehicle to insure in Utah is the 2021 Subaru Forester, which costs $385 per month to insure with a full-coverage policy. This is higher than the state average of $125.83 per month. You can get liability-only coverage for $193 per month on this four-door compact SUV.
The Forester features a 2.5-liter engine generating 182 horsepower. Its standard safety features include automatic emergency braking and lane-departure warning. The Forester also gets 26 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway.
3. 2021 XC40 by Volvo
In third place for the cheapest insurance cost in Utah is the 2021 Volvo XC40. It costs $390 per month for full coverage, which is higher than the state average of $125.83 per month. Liability-only coverage is available for this four-door SUV at $209 per month.
The XC40 gets 22 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway. It comes standard with lane-departure warning and emergency braking with pedestrian detection, keeping drivers safe on the road.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Utah
We compiled a list of 45 vehicles from the IIHS’s 2021 TOP SAFETY PICK+ list to find policy estimates for both full coverage and liability-only coverage in Utah. We ran each model through an auto-insurance quote generator using an in-state address and a basic driver profile.
We arranged the findings below from the lowest to the highest full-coverage fee.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability-only insurance costs less than full-coverage insurance because a liability-only policy provides significantly less financial coverage to drivers than a full-coverage policy. The following table displays the average cost of both insurance policies in Utah.
$125.83 a month
$44.92 a month
The Best Utah Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Utah are American Family Insurance, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm.
Using data from Everquote, we identified the most popular insurance companies in Utah. The average complaint index is 1.0. Companies with a complaint index below this indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants. Additionally, companies with larger market shares indicate higher popularity among drivers.
You can see all of the rankings below:
|Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||
|American Family Insurance||4.83||N/A||0.43|
Disclaimer: The Complaint Index data are National Association of Commissioners (NAIC) ratings.
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Utah
Drivers in Utah can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Compare insurance quotes from different providers
- Bundle your policies (e.g., home and auto insurance)
- Boost your credit score
- Seek discounts
- Maintain a clean driving record
- Minimize your mileage
We used an in-state address to identify the cheapest used vehicles to insure, as this provides the most relevant and accurate data for Utah drivers. We applied the address and a basic driver profile to 45 award-winning vehicles from the IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK list through an insurance quote generator.
The credentials we used throughout our research are as follows:
Basic Driver Profile:
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 TOP SAFETY PICK+ list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Utah?
The 2021 Ford Bronco Sport is the cheapest SUV to insure in Utah at $334 per month for a full-coverage policy.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Older cars are cheaper to insure because they are often worth less than newer ones, making them less of a financial liability.
How much liability insurance is required in Utah?
Utah law states that drivers must have the following liability coverage: $25,000 bodily injury limit per person, $65,000 bodily injury limit per accident, and $15,000 property damage coverage.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Utah?
In Utah, driving without insurance can cost your first offense a $400 fine and up to $1,000 for your second offense. Offenders risk losing their driving privileges until they provide proof of insurance. Offenders must pay a $40 license reinstatement fee and a $100 registration reinstatement fee.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
Liability insurance is the most basic premium you can purchase for a vehicle. It insures drivers against any property damage or injuries caused by an at-fault accident. Lenders may require drivers to have full-coverage insurance, which includes comprehensive and collision coverage.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
High-value cars, such as luxury sports cars and rare collectibles, tend to have the highest insurance rates because they cost more than regular vehicles to repair and replace, presenting a greater financial liability.
- (2021.) 2021 TOP SAFETY PICKs. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Retrieved April 19, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021?tspPlusOnly#award-winners
- (2023.) Average Cost of Car Insurance in Utah for 2023. Bankrate. Retrieved April 19, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-utah/
- (2019.) Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Utah. Everquote. Retrieved April 19, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-utah/
- (2023.) State Farm Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 19, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/statefarm-13017237i
- (2023.) Allstate Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 19, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/edu/ci/allstate-car-insurance-review/62759
- (2023.) Farmers Insurance Review. ValuePenguin. Retrieved April 19, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/farmers-insurance-review
- (2023.) Progressive Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 19, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/progressive-insurance-13015814i
- (2023.) USAA Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 19, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/usaa-insurance-13303847i
- (2023.) American Family Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 19, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/american-family-insurance-13012661i
- (2023.) Liberty Mutual Insurance Review. WalletHub. Retrieved April 19, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/profile/ci/liberty-mutual-13015271i
- (nd.) Section 304 Motor Vehicle Liability Policy Minimum Limits. Utah State Legislature. Retrieved 04/19/23, from https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title31A/Chapter22/31A-22-S304.html
- (n.d.) 2021 Ford Bronco Sport. Car and Driver. Retrieved April 24, 2023, from https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/bronco-sport-2021.
- (2023.) 2021 Ford Bronco Sport. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved April 24, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/ford/bronco-sport-4-door-suv/2021.
- (n.d.) 2021 Subaru Forester. Car and Driver. Retrieved April 26, 2023, from https://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/forester-2021.
- (n.d.) 2021 Volvo XC40. Car and Driver. Retrieved April 24, 2023, from https://www.caranddriver.com/volvo/xc40-2021.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.