What Used Cars Are the Cheapest to Insure in Wisconsin?
Want to know the cheapest pre-owned vehicle to insure in Wisconsin? We researched insurance quotes in the state to save you the effort!
This article covers insurance basics for the state of Wisconsin and tips to save money on premiums. We also found the best insurance companies and answered frequently asked questions!
Wisconsin Cheapest Used Cars to Insure
We used a basic driver profile and 45 vehicles from the 2021 production year. We put these including Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) TOP SAFETY PICK+ winners through an insurance quote generator, and we found these three used cars to be the most affordable to insure in Wisconsin.
1. 2021 XC40 by Volvo
The cheapest used car to insure in Wisconsin is the 2021 Volvo XC40. This subcompact four-door SUV costs $318 per month for a full-coverage policy, while the state average is $107 per month. A liability-only policy for the XC40 costs $151 per month.
The Volvo XC40 comes standard with several safety features, including blind-spot monitoring, LED headlights, and rear parking sensors. TThe XC40 also has exceptional gas mileage, at 22 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway.
2. 2021 CX-5 by Mazda
The 2021 Mazda CX-5 is the second cheapest used car to insure in Wisconsin. This four-door SUV costs $350 per month for full-coverage policy. The state average is $107 per month. A liability-only policy costs $156 per month.
The CX-5 comes standard with blind-spot detection, lane-departure warning and lane-departure prevention. The 2021 Mazda CX-5’s base trim gets 25 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway.
3. 2021 CX-3 by Mazda
The third cheapest used vehicle to insure in Wisconsin is the 2021 Mazda CX-3. This four-door SUV costs $352 per month to insure with a full-coverage policy, and the Wisconsin state average is $107 per month. A liability-only policy costs $168 per month.
The IIHS gave the CX-3 its highest score of “Good” in all of its crashworthiness tests. Blind-spot detection and lane-departure warning come standard for added safety benefits. The CX-3 gets 29 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway, making it an efficient choice.
The 45 Cheapest Used Vehicles to Insure in Wisconsin
We collected policy estimates for the 45 vehicles in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety‘s (IIHS) 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list. All 45 cars are ranked by their full coverage policy costs in ascending order. We also provided liability-only quotes for comparison.
|Year||Make||Model||Full Coverage||Liability Only|
Full Coverage vs. Liability Insurance Costs
Liability insurance is cheaper than full coverage insurance, because liability only covers damage to the other driver’s vehicle and won’t cover your vehicle if it’s stolen, damaged, or involved in an accident.
The Best Wisconsin Car Insurance Companies
The three best automobile insurance companies in Wisconsin are Acuity, West Bend Mutual, and American Family Insurance.
We accessed EverQuote and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners to compare companies with more than 2% of the market share in the state. We didn’t include duplicate listings for the same company in the data.
Companies with lower Market-Share-to-Complaint Ratios indicate fewer complaints and happier claimants. You can see all of the rankings below.
|Market Share||Percent of Total Complaints||
|ACUITY, A Mutual Insurance Co.||3.42||N/A||0.08|
|West Bend Mutual Insurance Co.||3.00||N/A||0.20|
|American Family Insurance||18.9||N/A||0.43|
|Berkshire Hathaway Inc./Geico||4.76||N/A||1.33|
The Complaint Index data in the table above are national numbers from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Tips to Lower Insurance Premiums in Wisconsin
Drivers in Wisconsin can follow these tips to maximize discounts and minimize insurance premiums:
- Keep your credit score high
- Take a safety driving class
- Shop for lenders to give you affordable car insurance
- Increase your deductibles
- Maintain a good driving record
- Bundle your policy with homeowners’ insurance
To find the cheapest insurance rates for used vehicles in Wisconsin, we used an in-state address to find the most accurate insurance quote data. We applied the basic driver profile below in an insurance quote generator to find quotes for the 45 cheapest used cars to insure in Wisconsin.
Basic Driver Profile
- 35-year-old male with a bachelor’s degree
- Single and employed full time
- Homeowner but did not bundle policies
- Owns the vehicle rather than leases or finances it
- Has been with the current insurance carrier for five or more years
We used vehicles on the IIHS 2021 Top Safety Pick+ 2021 list. The IIHS is an independent, nonprofit organization that collects safety data for cars on the market.
We used the following limits for liability-only quotes:
- $100,000/$300,000 liability limits
- $100,000 property damage limits
- $10,000 personal injury protection
For the full-coverage quotes, we included the following coverages with the liability selections:
- $1,000 deductible on collision coverage
- $1,000 deductible for comprehensive coverage
- $50/$1,500 rental reimbursement
- $100 roadside assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest SUV to insure in Wisconsin?
The 2021 Volvo XC40 is the cheapest SUV to insure in Wisconsin. A full-coverage policy for this SUV is only $318 per month.
Are older cars cheaper to insure?
Yes, older cars are cheaper to insure, especially for comprehensive or collision insurance. Older cars lose value and have a lower financial risk, resulting in lower premiums for policyholders.
How much liability insurance is required in Wisconsin?
Wisconsin requires drivers to have liability coverage of at least $25,000 for the injury or death of one person, $50,000 for the injury or death of two or more people, and $10,000 for property damage.
What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Wisconsin?
If you’re caught driving without insurance in Wisconsin, you could face fines and the suspension of your license and the vehicle’s registration. In addition, expect your auto insurance premiums to climb. If you can’t show proof of insurance, it may cost you $10.
For a first or repeat offense of having no coverage, you will pay up to $500 and have your driver’s license suspended for 12 to 36 months. Once you finish the suspension period, you’ll have to carry the SR-22 proof of insurance document and pay a reinstatement fee.
What is the basic insurance for a car?
Basic car insurance includes liability coverage. Liability coverage pays for damage to the other driver’s car in an at-fault accident. Lenders may require drivers to purchase full-coverage insurance, including comprehensive and collision coverage.
What car has the highest insurance rates?
In general, insurance companies charge higher rates for luxury and rare cars and sports cars. Replacement costs for these categories of cars are much higher than average consumer vehicles.
- 2023. Average Cost of Car Insurance in Wisconsin for 2023 . Bankrate. Retrieved April 15, 2023, from https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-wisconsin/
- 2023. Best Car Insurance Quotes in Wisconsin. ValuePenguin. Retrieved April 15, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/best-cheap-car-insurance-wisconsin
- 2019. Largest Auto Insurance Companies in Wisconsin. EverQuote. Retrieved April 15, 2023, from https://www.everquote.com/blog/car-insurance/largest-companies-wisconsin/
- 2023. Consumer Insurance Search Results. National Association of Insurance Commissioners. Retrieved April 15, 2023, from https://content.naic.org/cis_refined_results.htm
- 2023. When to Drop Full Coverage Insurance on Your Older Car. ValuePenguin. Retrieved April 15, 2023, from https://www.valuepenguin.com/how-cost-of-car-insurance-changes-with-age-of-car
- 2023. Consumer’s Guide to Auto Insurance . Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance. Retrieved April 15, 2023, from https://oci.wi.gov/Documents/Consumers/PI-057.pdf
- 2021. What is the penalty for driving without insurance in Wisconsin? WalletHub. Retrieved April 15, 2023, from https://wallethub.com/answers/ci/driving-without-insurance-in-wisconsin-2140695215/
- 2023. Eligibility and reinstate driving privileges . State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Retrieved April 15, 2023, from https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/license-drvs/susp-or-rvkd/reinstate.aspx
- (n.d.) 2021 Volvo XC40. Car and Driver. Retrieved April 26, 2023, from https://www.caranddriver.com/volvo/xc40-2021.
- (2023.) 2021 Volvo XC40. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved April 26, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/volvo/xc40-4-door-suv/2021.
- (n.d.) 2021 Mazda CX-5. Car and Driver. Retrieved April 26, 2023, from https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-5-2021.
- (2023.) 2021 Mazda CX-5. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved April 26, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/mazda/cx-5-4-door-suv/2021.
- (n.d.) 2021 Mazda CX-3. Car and Driver. Retrieved April 26, 2023, from https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-3.
- (2023.) 2021 Mazda CX-3. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Retrieved April 26, 2023, from https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/mazda/cx-3-4-door-suv/2021.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.