What Your 2003 Honda Element Warranty Covers
Factory/manufacturer’s warranties can be confusing, so we’ve cut through the jargon to help you understand what your 2003 Honda Element warranty covered. While most of this warranty has expired, we can help you understand its original inclusions. We’ll break it down in simple terms so you can understand whether you had a powertrain, basic, or dealership warranty and whether it included extras like batteries, paint, and tires. All warranty durations are listed in time or mileage, whichever comes first. If you have more questions, check out the FAQ section at the bottom of this article.
|2003 Honda Element Factory Warranty Coverage:|
|Basic Warranty:||3 years or 36,000 miles|
|Powertrain Warranty:||3 years or 36,000 miles|
|Corrosion Perforation Warranty:||5 years and unlimited miles|
|Air Conditioning Warranty:||3 years or 36,000 miles|
|Battery Warranty:||3 years and unlimited miles|
|Emissions Warranty:||3 years or 36,000 miles |
3 years or 50,000 in some states
8 years or 80,000 miles on some parts
|Total Unique Recalls:||12|
2003 Honda Element Basic Warranty
The 2003 Honda Element had a three-year, 36,000-mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty that began on the delivery or lease date. This has now expired. It covered the free repair or replacement of defective parts used normally. It didn’t include parts with separate warranties and standard wear and tear.
2003 Honda Element Powertrain Warranty
There was no separate powertrain warranty for the 2003 Honda Element, as Honda covered powertrain components under its New Vehicle Limited Warranty. This warranty has now expired.
Corrosion Perforation Warranty
The original Element owner could claim for corrosion under the Rust Perforation Limited Warranty. This five-year, unlimited-mile warranty has expired. It covered the repair or replacement of original rust-perforated panels. Surface rust and rust caused by neglect, hazards, or weather weren’t covered.
Air Conditioning Warranty
The 2003 Honda Element didn’t have a separate air conditioning warranty. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty covered the system for three years or 36,000 miles. As the New Vehicle Limited Warranty has expired, so has the air conditioner coverage.
It also covered all refrigerant charges for the first year and further charges when needed for warranty repairs.
The 2003 Honda Element had no separate paint warranty, but the New Vehicle Limited Warranty covered factory defects. Paint to cover scratches or collision damage was not included. Honda may also paint some or all of the panels replaced under the Rust Perforation Limited Warranty. These warranties have expired.
The 2003 Honda Element’s original battery was covered by a three-year, unlimited-mile Original Equipment Battery Limited Warranty. It covered free batteries and installation for the first two years. During the final 12 months, Honda gave motorists a 50% credit for replacement batteries from Honda dealers. This warranty has expired.
The 2003 Honda Element’s original tires, including the spare, were covered by their manufacturer. The warranty statement was in the glove box. During the warranty period, Honda dealers helped owners identify if defects caused tire issues and connected them to local tire manufacturer representatives.
Honda offered a three-year or 36,000-mile Federal Emissions Warranty. The catalytic converter, engine computer, and onboard diagnostics had eight years or 80,000 miles of warranty coverage under the Clean Air Act. In California, Honda’s California Emissions Warranty lasted for three years or 50,000 miles. They have expired.
For more information about Auto Warranties, you can check out this directory containing everything you need to know about Auto Warranties arranged by system.
2003 Honda Element Warranty Extensions Available Upon Car Purchase
Honda dealers offered Honda Care plans for up to 42 months or 42,000 miles from the Element’s registration date. It covered repair or replacement of parts such as the engine, transmission, fuel system, suspension, AC, and heating. Deductible and warranty periods varied. These plans have now expired.
2003 Honda Element Extended Warranty Available Now
If your 2003 Honda Element is in relatively good condition, you may be able to purchase an extended warranty from a third-party provider. If you’re looking for affordable extended warranty coverage for your 2003 Honda Element, check out the FIXD Vehicle Protection Plan. We’ve partnered with CARCHEX, the industry leader in extended warranties, to cover everything from the engine and other powertrain parts to air conditioning and electrical systems, all for one low monthly fee. There are five levels of coverage available to suit all needs and budgets. Call now for a no-cost, no-obligation quote.
Last updated on 12/10/2022. See NHTSA.gov for up-to-date information on recalls.
- June 27, 2019 – Passenger Frontal Air Bag Inflator May Explode
- June 27, 2019 – Driver Frontal Air Bag Inflator May Explode
- March 6, 2019 – Driver Frontal Air Bag Inflator May Explode
- April 26, 2018 – Improperly Installed Passenger Air Bag
- May 24, 2016 – Passenger Frontal Air Bag Inflator May Rupture
- June 15, 2015 – Passenger Side Air Bag Inflator May Rupture
- May 28, 2015 – Driver’s Frontal Air Bag May Rupture
- November 4, 2014 – Passenger Air Bag Inflator May Rupture
- June 20, 2014 – Passenger Side Air Bag Inflator May Rupture
- August 5, 2010 – Ignition Interlock
- May 11, 2009 – FMVSS 108/Replacement Headlamps/Amber Reflector
- April 7, 2009 – FMVSS 108/Aftermarket Combination Lamps
Honda offered a five-year limited warranty for replacement batteries bought from Honda dealerships in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. All batteries in the first two warranty years were replaced free of charge. It gave partial credits for the battery cost for the final three years.
The exhaust system fell under the Federal and California Emissions Warranty coverage. This coverage also included the exhaust gas recirculation system. This warranty has now expired.
The 2003 Honda Element has a Replacement Muffler Lifetime Limited Warranty, which covers defective replacement mufflers installed during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period by Honda dealers. You can still claim on this warranty if you are the vehicle’s original owner and have proof of purchase.
Honda offers a Seat Belt Limited Warranty for the 2003 Honda Element’s useful life. It covers the repair or replacement of seat belts that stop functioning normally, unless the problem was caused by neglect or accidental damage, including collisions. This is an unlimited mileage warranty.
Honda provided a comprehensive warranty on the release of its 2003 Element. Although much of this warranty has expired, some components may still be covered. If your factory warranty has expired and you’re looking to reduce out-of-pocket expenses, be sure to check out the FIXD+CARCHEX Vehicle Protection Plan. And remember, the best way to ensure warranty coverage (and prevent costly repairs in the first place) is to follow your manufacturer-recommended maintenance schedule. Get the FIXD Sensor and free app today for automated maintenance alerts based on your make, model, and mileage, easy engine diagnostics, repair shop finder, and more!
- “2003 Warranties [PDF].” American Honda Motor Co., Inc., https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Handbooks/Y0645.pdf
- “Used 2003 Honda Element Specs & Features.” Edmunds, https://www.edmunds.com/honda/element/2003/features-specs/.
- “California Air Resources Board.” California Vehicle and Emissions Warranty Periods | California Air Resources Board, https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/california-vehicle-and-emissions-warranty-periods.
- “Honda Global: September 22, 2003 Honda Fields Three near-Zero Emissions Vehicles at Challenge Bibendum.” Honda Global | September 22 , 2003 “Honda Fields Three Near-Zero Emissions Vehicles at Challenge Bibendum”, https://global.honda/newsroom/worldnews/2003/4030922FCX.html.
- EPA, Environmental Protection Agency, https://www.epa.gov/transportation-air-pollution-and-climate-change/frequent-questions-related-transportation-air.
- Bob, Sideshow. “Extended Warranty: Honda Care, Other Brands.” Honda Element Owners Club, 22 Sept. 2020, https://www.elementownersclub.com/threads/extended-warranty-honda-care-other-brands.118/.
- “Extended Service Contracts: Honda Owners Site.” Extended Service Contracts | Honda Owners Site, https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/care.
- “2003 Honda Element 4 Dr.” NHTSA, https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2003/HONDA/ELEMENT/4%252520DR#recalls
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.