The Toyota name symbolizes reliability and consumer trust by producing some of the most dependable and popular cars on the road. That being said, even the sturdiest vehicles often malfunction from time to time. Fortunately, there is an affordable way to fix your Toyota if it breaks down and needs expensive repairs. To protect yourself in these situations, check out the Toyota Extra Care when buying a new or used Toyota vehicle. Take a look at this extended service plan and how it works.
What Is Toyota Extra Care?
Toyota Extra Care is an extended warranty program for new and used Toyota cars, trucks, and SUVs. These warranties are called Vehicle Service Agreements and backed by Toyota. The coverage comes in three levels, so you can choose what is right for you.
Toyota offers its service agreements with flexible coverage terms. All three plans range from three years of coverage for up to 50,000 miles to eight years of coverage for up to 125,000 miles. The plans provide access to Toyota’s service network from anywhere in the country. And all tier levels include a disappearing deductible of $0 or $100 if you bring your vehicle to the Toyota dealership where you purchased the coverage for covered repairs.
How Is Toyota Extra Care Different From ToyotaCare?
A new Toyota comes with Toyota’s bundle of warranties. This group of standard warranties covers a wide range of issues and includes:
- 3-year or 36,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty
- 5-year or 60,000-mile powertrain limited warranty
- 3-year or 36,000-mile emissions components warranty
- 5-year or unlimited mile corrosion perforation warranty
- 10-year or 150,000-mile hybrid battery warranty
- 8-year or 80,000-mile emissions performance warranty
In addition to these warranties, new Toyotas also come with ToyotaCare. This special warranty covers roadside assistance for two years and unlimited miles, as well as maintenance for two years or 25,000 miles.
All these warranties are great until they run out. Since Toyotas are reliable and durable, what happens when you’re still driving your slightly used Toyota and need repairs? This is where Toyota Extra Care comes in.
How Does Toyota Extra Care Work?
Buying a new or used Toyota comes with the option to add Toyota Extra Care, though this extra coverage comes with a fee. But we reckon it’ll come in handy depending on how much you drive and how long you plan to drive your Toyota.
Toyota offers its Extra Care coverage in several different levels. Each level goes beyond the factory warranty coverage and covers specific components and mechanical issues.
Toyota Extra Care Powertrain
The Powertrain tier level is the basic level and covers only powertrain components. That is, this tier will cover the engine, transmission, brakes, and other components that allow your car to run. What’s more, this is recommended for a Toyota above three years old or that has racked up 36,000 miles or more.
The powertrain warranty features include:
- Coverage for six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first
- Towing reimbursement of $50
- Daily rental reimbursement up to $35
- Lodging reimbursement of $50 a day if your car breaks down 150 miles or further from home
The Powertrain tier, like the others, is transferable to second owners. So, even if you sell a car with this coverage, you can transfer the plan to your buyer.
Toyota Extra Care Gold
The Gold tier is the second-highest level. It covers your Toyota for up to eight years or 125,000 miles. Toyota recommends this if your car is three years old or less and has under 36,000 miles on the odometer.
The Toyota Gold features include:
- Towing reimbursement of $50 to the nearest Toyota dealer
- Lodging and meal reimbursement of up to $50 a day if your Toyota breaks down 150 miles or further from home
- Transferable coverage to another owner
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Daily rental reimbursement for up to $35 a day or other transportation for five days
Toyota Extra Care Platinum
The premium warranty level is Toyota Extra Care Platinum. This covers more parts and components than the Gold level’s. Also, it’ll cover your Toyota for up to eight years or 125,000 miles. The Platinum level is a good choice if you have a new Toyota or one that is under three years old.
The Toyota Platinum features include:
- Unlimited towing to the nearest Toyota dealership
- Lodging and meal reimbursement of up to $100 a day if your Toyota breaks down over 150 miles from home. This comes with a limit of $500 over the duration of the agreement.
- Daily rental reimbursement of up to $50 a day if your Toyota develops a fault
- Transferable coverage from the original owner to another party
What Is Not Covered by Toyota Extra Care?
While the Toyota vehicle service contracts cover a lot, the plans do have some limits. Some of the items that the warranty does not cover include:
- Glass (windshields and mirrors)
- Hybrid vehicle battery pack
- Accessory drive belts
- Brake linings, pads, and shoes
- Brake rotors and drums
- Body panels
Can I Cancel My Toyota Extra Care?
If you decide you don’t need Toyota Extra Care anymore, you can cancel your policy after 30 days, though there is a $50 fee for cancelation. After paying the charge, you’ll get a full refund. Another option instead of canceling is transferring the policy to another owner. There is no charge for the transfer.
Do I Need Toyota Extra Care?
Before you purchase Toyota Extra Care, we suggest you do some research. First, confirm your car’s reliability and find out if it has any known mechanical issues that could come up. You should also check if you have any miles or time left on the original warranty. Then, consider your financial situation. Can you afford to pay out of pocket for repairs, or will Toyota Extra Care give you peace of mind?
Toyota vehicles have a reputation for reliability, but as with most machines, there are no eternal guarantees. And that’s where Toyota Extra Care comes in handy. It provides coverage past the factory warranty. Still, only you can determine if you need it.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.