Whether you’re just now getting into auto repair or have been in it for awhile now, we have compiled a list of MUST HAVE tools that are deemed useful in the garage while you’re working on your car. Check ‘em out!
- Ratchet Socket Set
- Having a ratchet and socket set is extremely useful and is considered to be a lifetime investment. You generally want to have a standard and metric ¼”, ⅜”, and ½” set. The link provided to a set above also includes extension bars which gives you the capability of reaching those tight spaces that may out of reach.
- WD-40 which means Water Displacement, 40th Formula, does exactly what it sounds like! Some practical uses on your car could be to repel water from spark plugs, distributors, alternators and a great way to prevent promotion corrosion and keep moisture away!
- Basic Screwdrivers
- Phillips head screwdrivers and flat head screwdrivers are practical tools that are handy in loosening and tightening screws.
- Vice Grips
- Vice grips can act as a wrench, clamp things together to keep them still, and can also act as a tool for holding things that you don’t want to necessarily get your hands near.
- Breaker Bar
- A breaker bar is needed when you need some extra leverage to take off that corroded bolt! There are 3
- Torque Wrench
- Torque wrenches allow you to set a limit to how tight (Newton-metres or foot pounds) specific nuts, bolts, and fasteners.
- Cleaning Cloth
- It’s always useful to have a few rags on the side to wipe down any dirt/soot/etc. that may be on the car.
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.