P0016 – Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Fixes
Code P0016 Definition
Crankshaft Position – Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1, Sensor A)
What Does P0016 Mean?
The crankshaft sensor controls spark timing by alerting the ECM of the position of the crankshaft. The camshaft position tells the engine when to begin the injector sequence by relaying the camshaft’s current position to the ECM. The P0016 code is the result of the ECM detecting that either the crankshaft sensor or camshaft sensor are operating outside of their optimal specified range.
- Check engine light
- Decrease engine performance
- Engine runs rough
- Engine may not start
- Lower fuel economy
- Frayed cam sensor wiring
- Frayed crank sensor wiring
- Faulty timing belt/chain
- Defective tone ring
- Faulty cam sensor
- Faulty crank sensor
- Faulty ECM
Code P0016 Severity – Moderate
This trouble code will result in the engine hesitating and increased start-up issues. If this code is present, it is recommended to have the vehicle serviced to protect from further internal engine problems that could negatively affect the drivability of the vehicle.
Code P0016 Common Diagnosis Mistakes
Prematurely replacing the cam sensor without visually inspecting the wiring around the camshaft for disconnection.
- Tools Needed to Diagnose:
Difficulty of Diagnosis and Repair
- Check to see if there are any other codes along with P0016 and clear your Check Engine Light with FIXD.
- Conduct a visual inspection of wiring around the crankshaft and camshaft for fraying or disconnection.
- Check the freeze frame data along with cam and crank patterns to pinpoint the issue.
- If a problem is detected, verify the tone rings and cam/crank sensors have been installed correctly, if not consider replacing the respective sensor.
- If no problem is detected, inspect the wiring of the timing belt for disconnection.
- Repair or replace timing belt if applicable.