P0019 – Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Fixes
Code P0019 Definition
The correlation of the camshaft and crankshaft positions on bank 2 is incorrect based on the exhaust camshaft position sensor.
What Does P0019 Mean?
In order for the engine to run smoothly and efficiently, it has to know exactly where the camshaft and crankshaft is in its rotation. It does this by monitoring them using the Camshaft Position Sensors and Crankshaft Position Sensor. If the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the bank 2 exhaust camshaft and crankshaft are not in the correct position, it will trigger code P0019.
What Are The Symptoms Of Code P0019?*
- Check Engine Light
- Rough running engine
- Poor fuel economy
- Decreased engine performance
- Timing chain noise
- Hard/extended start
- No start
*No noticeable adverse conditions in some cases
What Is The Cause Of Code P0019?
- Stretched timing chain
- Jumped timing
- Slipped reluctor ring on the crankshaft
- Slipped reluctor ring on bank 2 exhaust camshaft
- Faulty timing chain tensioner
- Low/dirty oil
How Serious Is Code P0019? – Severe
This trouble code can cause the vehicle to be hard to start and run rough. In some cases, the vehicle may not be driveable. It should be addressed as soon as possible.
Code P0019 Common Diagnosis Mistakes
Not checking for TSBs before starting diagnosis
Tools Needed to Diagnose:
- Basic Hand Tools
- Vehicle Specific Service Manual
How To Diagnose And Repair Code P0019?
Difficulty of Diagnosis and Repair (5 out of 5)
- Check to see if there are any other codes along with P0019 and clear your Check Engine Light with FIXD.
- Check the freeze frame data in order to pinpoint the issue.
- Check for any Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) General Motor vehicles (GMC, Chevrolet, Buick, Suzuki, Cadillac, Holden) specifically have a known issue with stretched timing chains. If your vehicle applies to a TSB, perform this first.
- Check oil level and if incorrect, correct to the proper level. If it’s dirty, replace the engine oil and filter and see if the code comes back.
- This code requires an oscilloscope for proper diagnosis. Not all shops are equipped with this but many are. Using the O-scope (oscilloscope), you would connect to the signal wire for the crankshaft position sensor and bank 1 and bank 2 camshaft position sensors and compare the three to each other. If they are offset from their proper locations, a stretched timing chain, jumped timing or slipped reluctor ring is the issue. Replace the necessary parts to resolve the concern. Below is an image of what this test should look like on an O-scope screen.
Estimated Cost of Repair
For error code P0019, one or more of the below repairs may be needed to solve the underlying issue. For each possible repair, the estimated cost of repair includes the cost of the relevant parts and the cost of labor required to make the repair.
- Timing chain $600-$1200
- Reluctor ring $200-$600
- Engine oil and filter change $20-$60