P0134 – Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Fixes
Code P0134 Definition
O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
What Does P0134 Mean?
Code P0134 is triggered when your vehicle’s O2 sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) is malfunctioning. The Power Control Module (PCM) detects that the Oxygen (O2) sensor is at a standstill and is not accurately reading the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. This error in the oxygen sensor causes the PCM to misread the amount of oxygen and fuel coming through the exhaust, which inhibits it from ensuring the optimal fuel ratio.
- Check Engine Light
- Higher emissions
- Excessive smoke from exhaust
- Poorly running engine
- Lower fuel economy
*No noticeable adverse conditions in some cases
- Faulty O2 sensor
- Faulty heater circuit
- Frayed wiring or connector to sensor
- Engine Vacuum Leak
- Faulty PCM
Code P0134 Severity – Moderate
While this trouble code will likely not prevent your vehicle from running, overtime it could cause damage to the catalytic converter, which could affect your vehicle’s ability to run cleanly and efficiently. The most common impact of this trouble code is a decrease in your vehicle’s fuel economy.
Code P0134 Common Diagnosis Mistakes
Prematurely replacing the oxygen sensor when the issue lies within the wiring or connectors which could have been diagnosed by a visual inspection.
- Tools Needed to Diagnose:
Difficulty of Diagnosis and Repair – (1-4)
- Check to see if there are any other codes along with P0134 and clear your Check Engine Light with FIXD
- Check the freeze frame data in an attempt to pinpoint the issue.
- Is the oxygen sensor sending a signal to the PCM? If so, there may be an issue with the oxygen and fuel level readings. If not, the oxygen sensor may need to be replaced (Step 5).
- Conduct a visual inspection of the oxygen sensor wiring in order to make sure there are no signs of disconnection, tearing, etc.
- If the conclusion is that the oxygen sensor needs to be replaced, then it is often recommended to replace not only the sensor but the oxygen harness as well.