P0410 – Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Fixes
Code P0410 Definition
Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction
What Does P0410 Mean?
Code P0410 is the result of the Engine Control Module (ECM) indicating a malfunctioning O2 sensor. This happens when the O2 sensor does not accurately detect the changes in O2 level of the exhaust while the air injection system is functioning.
- Check engine light
- Engine may hesitate upon acceleration
- Noisy air injection pump
*No noticeable adverse conditions in some cases
- Malfunctioning air pump/air pump relay
- Faulty air pump check valves
- Blocked air injection system
Code P0410 Severity – Low
This trouble code will not prevent your vehicle from running. The most common result is increased emission from your vehicle. However, if left unsolved this code could cause your vehicle to fail emission(s) testing.
Code P0410 Common Diagnosis Mistakes
Prematurely replacing the air pump before verifying the intake air flow into the air injection pump. This indicates the fault could be located in the air pump relay and not the air pump.
- Tools Needed to Diagnose:
Difficulty of Diagnosis and Repair
- Check to see if there are any other codes along with P0410 and clear your Check Engine Light with FIXD.
- Check freeze frame data of O2 sensor to verify it responds while the air injection pump is in use.
- Consider replacing oxygen sensor and retesting system to see if code persists.
- If you replace air pump, make sure to clean out hoses and replace one-way check valve.
- This will ensure the code does not return as sometimes the problem is not solely the air pump.