P0562 – Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Fixes
Code P0562 Definition
System Voltage Low
What Does P0562 Mean?
The P0562 code is the result of the ECM detecting that the vehicle voltage has dropped below the optimal specified range. This is indicated by the check engine light, in which the voltage of the vehicle has dropped below the manufacturer’s minimal voltage range.
- Check engine light
- Battery light
- Vehicle runs rough
- Engine may not start
- Lower fuel economy
*No noticeable adverse conditions in some cases
- Frayed alternator circuit wiring/connectors
- Defective battery
- Increased battery drain
- Faulty Alternator
- Faulty ECM
Code P0562 Severity – Severe
This trouble code’s severity is increased due to its impact on overall engine performance. If the engine voltage drops too low, the vehicle may stall or be unable to start up. If this code is present, it is recommended to have your vehicle serviced immediately to protect from further negative implications towards the drivability of your vehicle.
Code P0562 Common Diagnosis Mistakes
Prematurely replacing the battery without visually inspecting the wiring around the alternator for disconnection.
- Tools Needed to Diagnose:
Difficulty of Diagnosis and Repair – (1-7)
- Check to see if there are any other codes along with P0562 and clear your Check Engine Light with FIXD.
- Check the freeze frame data and fuel gauge to pinpoint the issue.
- Conduct a visual inspection of wiring around the alternator for fraying or disconnection.
- Inspect the wiring and clamps around the battery to ensure they are not loose or frayed.
- Check connection of wiring to ECM to ensure no disconnection.
- With the engine off and the key selecting “on”, check the battery for at least 12 to 12.6 volts. If reduction in voltage, this could be indicative of battery failure or excess draw on the battery.
- If the problem persists, consider testing the voltage of the alternator, if this does not match the battery voltage taken in (Step 6), the alternator circuit might need repair.