P2198 – Meaning, Causes, Symptoms, & Fixes
Code P2198 Definition
O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich (Bank 2, Sensor 1)
What Does P2198 Mean?
Code P2198 is a result of the oxygen A/F sensor incorrectly detecting the air to fuel ratio of the exhaust. This ratio is sent to the ECM which uses this data, along with comparisons to the outside air, to regulate the air to fuel ratio needed by the engine. This DTC code is the result of this ECM detecting that the O2 sensor is operating outside of its normal range.
- Check engine light
- Rough engine performance
- Lower fuel economy
- Frayed oxygen sensor circuit wiring/connectors
- Faulty oxygen sensor bank 2
- Malfunctioning fuel injector
- Vacuum leaks
- Fuel pressure too high/low
- Malfunctioning ECM
Code P2198 Severity – Low
This trouble code will not prevent your vehicle from running. The most common result is lowered fuel economy. However, if left unsolved, this code will result in increased loss of gasoline when operating your vehicle.
Code P2198 Common Diagnosis Mistakes
Prematurely replacing the oxygen (O2) sensor before attempting to visually inspect the fuel pressure as this is often the primary source of the issue.
- Tools Needed to Diagnose:
Difficulty of Diagnosis and Repair – (1-6)
- Check to see if there are any other codes along with P2198 and clear your Check Engine Light with FIXD.
- Check the freeze frame data for the O2 sensor to pinpoint the issue.
- Conduct a visual inspection of wiring around the oxygen sensor for fraying or disconnection.
- Visually check mass airflow sensor to see if it needs cleaning/replacement.
- Replace vacuum lines or intake air tube if there are signs of cracks or disconnections.
- Consider replacing oxygen sensor if the check-engine light persists.