FLOOR IT! Just kidding… we are trying to help you avoid getting thrown in the clink. Our brave officers put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe. These pointers won’t prevent you from getting a ticket, but they should help you and the kind officer who pulled you over have a calm, respectful encounter.
- Quickly but safely pull over to the right shoulder or other safe place protected from traffic. Use your turn signals to get over and stop quickly to indicate to the officer you are aware of what is going on around you and to help you figure out exactly where and how you violated the traffic laws. Make sure to pull off the road as far as possible to give the officer plenty of room to feel safe.
- Put on your hazards. If it is dark, turn on your interior dome light too! These actions tend to alleviate any fears the officer may have. Approaching a stopped vehicle is one of the most dangerous moments for an officer. We know you are safe, but they must be on alert!
- Roll your window all the way down, turn your music off, turn your engine off, take the keys out of the ignition and place them on the dash, and place your hands at the 10-and-2 o’clock positions on the steering wheel. DO NOT be reaching for your wallet or purse or rummaging through your glove box when the officer is approaching your vehicle. Stay in your vehicle.
- Stay calm, be polite and courteous, and do not come across as defensive or try to make excuses. Seek to understand how you violated traffic regulations. But don’t be a suck up!
- When the officer asks for your driver’s license and vehicle registration, tell him where they are (i.e. my license is in my wallet in my back pocket and my registration is in my glove blox), get them and hand them to the officer, and then place your hands back on the steering wheel.
- Assure the officer you will not repeat the violation, thank him or her for their time, and wish them a great day!
At FIXD, our mission is to make car ownership as simple, easy, and affordable as possible. Our research team utilizes the latest automotive data and insights to create tools and resources that help drivers get peace of mind and save money over the life of their car.